Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
JimmyJohns, you stated that Blacks slaveowners was rare. I provided a link proving you wrong. The info from the link uses U.S. Census numbers as well as other documents and it list citations. Seriously, the gig is up. You have been proven wrong in your ascertion that Blacks only a rare role in owning slaves. You begged and begged for a link, now you are to lazy to read it lol Well, its there for everyone else to read. You need to grow up and quit acting like a child. Man up and admit when your wrong. Maybe then you'll gain some respect.
they WERE rare. over 99 percent of south carolina blacks were enslaved!! even if ALL of the free blacks owned slaves theyd STILL be rare. and those numbers come straight from the census website!!

ok, next. what else ya got?

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 11-26-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Again, I know this isn't in reply to me, but in following this exchange, you are becoming theatrically condecending and patronizing in your posts. IMHO, you are not really seeking honest answers, you are just wanting to parade your disdain and score some rep points...

You accuse JAGOB of avoiding a question. In this latest instance it is that he "refuses" to define what is "Southern" to your satifaction? Welllll? Perhaps the so-called "refusal" is that anyone who has to ask such a question in the tone and manner you did, would not understand the answer, anyway.

So maybe it is your own question that is silly, not the reply... reckon?

But anyway, whoever said a northerner moving to the South will never be considered a Southerner?

Perhaps it depends on the northerner in question...? Personally, some of the fiercest partisans of the South (speaking from a Texas point of the situation) I have ever met are ones who move down and decide they like it, adopt our ways and manners and customs, and become good neighbors and friends. Sure, they are often teased about being "yankees"...but it is in good fun. Not much differerent when I was kidded as being a "Texas Redneck" in the times that I visited up North with my ex's. There was no animosity at all.

On the other hand, there are many northerners who move South and make no secret of that they regard it beneath them to even be down here, anyway. And I say without qualification (and will), the supercilious attitude in terms of regional transplantation is much more apparent with northerners moving South than Southerners moving north as regards as to who has the unjustified superiority complex.

My question to you is...please clarify a bit? Did these things not exist in the South before northerners brought them down? I ask because you seem to suggest by your query that such items were "imported" to the South, from the North. Elaboration, please?

I agree about the "I'm better attitude" BTW. Most of the southerners I know in the north have it less than Yankees in Dixie. Part of it might be the intimidation factor. Small town Georgia girl in Chicago has a lot to learn.

Ethnically, the south has been mostly Scotch-Irish or German Protestants and African Americans. Recently, there are more "ethnic" whites migrating to the south. Italians, Irish, Hispanics, (all Catholic--I do understand Louisiana has a lot of Catholics due to New Orleans), Jews, Asians, Greeks, etc.

Food is another example. All of these groups have created a demand for more ethnic flavored restaurants. Everyone on this forum cites Houston as a melting pot of food and that's the truth. But before Northerners or immigrants came to Houston, these restaurants were few and far between.

I was asking what JAGOB took issue with regarding the northeasternization of the south and I named these issues as possible examples.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
I think its hard to stereotype all people from the northeast, I consider PA part of the northeast but lets face it PA is Philly and Pittburgh with Arkansas in the middle, who said that or something like it? After mostly reading here for about a year I think its the people around the I95 corridor from Boston to D.C. In that corridor people are gettin it day after day, and I don't mean understanding anything, just hustling. When you get on the Jersey turnpike its no joke if your going 85, you have at least a dozen cars behind you that want to go 95. I've never seen that in my trips south especially North Carolina down to Florida.

Work is different as well, when I got my job in the refinery that I work at they were hiring 19 maintenence mechanics, 22,000 people put in applications. This was back in 2006. I have relatives in North Carolina and Florida who can't get roofers, plumbers, electricians and carpenters to show up for work. Roofers told my uncle in North Carolina that the Tuna were running so he would have to wait at least a week or two to get his roof fixed, carpenters told my friends the same thing in Florida. Try that up here and you won't have a business.

We're so bunched up here that people pay 500 grand for a house and they can hear their neighbors air conditioner turn on. I've seen people so crazy that they'll sit on their porch after they rake leaves and run out to catch another leaf falling on their yard. I mean run, not walk. When we visited friends this year in St Augustine,FL (both of my kids have severe hearing loss and St Augustine has a great school for the deaf) we were told to leave two thing up North, talking about the North and our horns while driving.

My guess is people from up here can't get used to the slower pace and get bored because its like running around like chicken with its head cut off is hereditary. Rural parts of NY, PA, VA, and MA are nothing like the busy area and those people should have an easier time adjusting. Except some of them like freezing their ass off 5 months a year.

Last edited by James420; 11-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I have relatives in North Carolina and Florida who can't get roofers, plumbers, electricians and carpenters to show up for work. Roofers told my uncle in North Carolina that the Tuna were running so he would have to wait at least a week or two to get his roof fixed, carpenters told my friends the same thing in Florida. Try that up here and you won't have a business.
Where I live it's that way during deer hunting season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
When we visited friends this year in St Augustine,FL we were told to leave two thing up North, talking about the North and honking our horns while driving.
Yep, in most of the South you honk your horn at your own risk. You might as well get out and scream at them to get out of your way, that's how offensive it is to people down here. Honking is okay if you're waving at someone though.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

PA is like that for Deer as well, the kids still have off the Monday after Thanksgiving for the first day of Deer. I'm more of a duck hunter now.

Yep, in most of the South you honk your horn at your own risk. You might as well get out and scream at them to get out of your way, that's how offensive it is to people down here. Honking is okay if you're waving at someone though.
I can't wait to get to Florida, it was 41 and windy up here this morning. The only thing I'll bring from the North is, Old Bay seasoning for crabs and maybe scrapple thats it. You don't want to know what scrapple is.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:14 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

The unnecessary horn-honking is downright rude and offensive.

Examples include when you're driving the speed limit, or perhaps five miles per hour over the speed limit, and along coming behind you is someone breaking the law, driving at least thirty miles over the speed limit, honking their horn OR flashing their lights (at night), in an unreasonable time that would be allowable for you to shift lanes. I've had these individuals flash their lights, or honk their horn, when they've come up behind me on a second's notice, yet they seem to be so impatient to notice that I can't switch lanes, being that there's someone driving to my immediate right.

People who do nonsense like this should have their driver's license revoked.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The unnecessary horn-honking is downright rude and offensive.

Examples include when you're driving the speed limit, or perhaps five miles per hour over the speed limit, and along coming behind you is someone breaking the law, driving at least thirty miles over the speed limit, honking their horn OR flashing their lights (at night), in an unreasonable time that would be allowable for you to shift lanes. I've had these individuals flash their lights, or honk their horn, when they've come up behind me on a second's notice, yet they seem to be so impatient to notice that I can't switch lanes, being that there's someone driving to my immediate right.

People who do nonsense like this should have their driver's license revoked.
I agree, you know what the definition of a second is up here, its when the light goes from red to green and some doucher is blowing his horn.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I don't think I have ever had someone flash their lights behind me, if they did I'd probably call the cops and report them for DUI or something. LOL

Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM

63 posts, read 94,001 times
My 8yr old niece just killed her 1st buck last week. She loves it. Its in our blood to hunt. She begged me and my brother to let her target practice with the .22 rifle today. We our proud of her. She's a straight lil country girl lol She said she'd shoot everything except a bunny rabbit lmao Btw, I never heard anyone ever honk the horn in North Carolina. Its like the horn dont even exist lol We will flash our lights but usually not immediately. We give the people the benefit of the doubt rather than just being rude off the bat. We also flash our lights if a cop is up ahead

Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM

27 posts, read 40,463 times
Even if there is any northeasternization of the South going on, it is for your own good my dear Southern friends. It's time for you guys to get out of that 60's time warp that your region is stuck in and join the civilized part of the country in the 21st century. But it's really up to y'all of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.