Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The guy acts like NC has gone the way of Florida, and it's a long way from that point, and hopefully it'll never get there.
All of Florida hasn't been ruined, come visit the north end of the state sometime, it's very similar visually and culturally to the coastal plain of NC. We still eat grits, greens, and catfish in these parts.

The lower part of the state is like a foreign country to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

214 posts, read 427,437 times
Quote:
No kidding. I've been to and seen from places in North Carolina that are every bit southern, from Albemarle (Stanly County), to Marshville, to Lincolnton, to Rocky Mount, to places in-between. There are places in North Carolina that put the "SOUTH" into "Southern Culture".

The only places of North Carolina that are as this guy contends, with his "mid-atlantic" concept, is really places around Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and a few places in the Charlotte region. Oh, and the Outer Banks, of course. That's about it.

The guy acts like NC has gone the way of Florida, and it's a long way from that point, and hopefully it'll never get there.
No Im basically saying that NC is on the same level as Virginia and Maryland and its getting close to Florida never said wasnt the south at all. I mean people look at NOVA(Va), Baltimore,(MD) and South Florida and that defines their state as not being southern when we all know that they are as a whole. So if the same can be said about them why not NC with Central Carolina(Winston Salem, Raleigh-Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, etc.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I just moved to Savannah from Ohio and, while some of my neighbors are native southerners, it seems like many people I meet are from the midwest. It is funny, but it seems we non-southerners recognize each other...sort of home in on each other, as if we have midwestern pheromones.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
They obviously have very little exposure to the state outside of Charlotte and the Triangle. Trust and believe, NC is still firmly rooted in the South. Believe that.
Well I guess the same can be said about people in Baltimore that havent been to southern MD or Eastern Shore or Haigertown, NoVA that havent been to Southern VA or Richmond or something, or people in South Florida who havent been to North Florida which looks just like the deep south

Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Well I guess the same can be said about people in Baltimore that havent been to southern MD or Eastern Shore or Haigertown, NoVA that havent been to Southern VA or Richmond or something, or people in South Florida who havent been to North Florida which looks just like the deep south
I don't know if you're getting it.

The vast majority of the state of North Carolina and Virginia is SOUTHERN. There's no getting around it. It's great that way.

On the other hand, you can't say the same for Maryland, and roughly half of Florida.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you're getting it.

The vast majority of the state of North Carolina and Virginia is SOUTHERN. There's no getting around it. It's great that way.

On the other hand, you can't say the same for Maryland, and roughly half of Florida.
Wow because Florida and Maryland is so far ahead of them that they lost their southern roots? Give me a break they are all in the same category cant compare them to Georgia, Alabama, MS, Louisianna because those are the epitone of southerness and havent changed a lick but NC and VA have changed over the years they are blue states too and gaining to be more liberal in politics, experience growth and have a lot of notherners like Maryland and Florida

Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
The only cool part of Florida is South Florida. The only reason Florida is so much wealthier now is due to the professional types moving to Miami and FTL. Otherwise Florida would still be a backwoods swamp.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The only cool part of Florida is South Florida. The only reason Florida is so much wealthier now is due to the professional types moving to Miami and FTL. Otherwise Florida would still be a backwoods swamp.
Thank you same would be with Maryland all they really have is Baltimore

Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Wow because Florida and Maryland is so far ahead of them that they lost their southern roots? Give me a break they are all in the same category cant compare them to Georgia, Alabama, MS, Louisianna because those are the epitone of southerness and havent changed a lick but NC and VA have changed over the years they are blue states too and gaining to be more liberal in politics, experience growth and have a lot of notherners like Maryland and Florida
Georgia does have a very large major metro area, unlike North Carolina, and we have sustained quite a bit of transplants, just as North Carolina in some areas. Still, a majority of the residents in all of the large metropolitan areas of both states continues to thankfully be Southern. To say that Georgia hasn't changed, as though it's in the same boat as Alabama, a great state mind you, is a bit off. I wish we could be more like Alabama in having a smaller transplant population, but that simply isn't the case.

North Carolina is overwhelmingly Southern.
Virginia is mostly southern (outside northern Virginia, and a hybridized Hampton Roads area)
Georgia is mostly southern
Florida is at least half non-southern in terms of area, and perhaps a majority non-southern in population.
Maryland is majority non-southern in population.

The latter two are more alike than the former three.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
You have absolutely NO idea of what you are stating here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.