Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times

Advertisements

For me, it's not hostility, but as another poster said, more like ribbing.

Typical example:
"Where are you from?"
Answer: "New Jersey".
Response: "I'm sorry to hear that."

Followed by a typical joke:
"Why do people live in New Jersey?"
"Just to prove they can."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
I was in Dallas on a business trip. I was with a California company a all was going fine. One of the Texas sales reps noticed my accent (very slight NY) and asked me where I was from. I replied "New York" and all of a sudden everything went south for no reason other than I said NY.

When I move to the Saint Louis Area of Missouri for two years, some redneck started yelling at me and calling me a N-loving obama voter for no reason other than the California plates on my car. I quickly found out that most people in Missouri do not like Californians.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally posted by sjnative
What's partly true? You quoted my whole post. Is it partly true that Californians have long accepted transplants and then been blamed for all ills when they move to other states? No, it's wholly true.

I'd also like to know where you got such a realistic view of CA.
Yes, the bold part seems to be true. Some of the state forums from out west seem to dislike Californians. I guess I got my views of CA from TV and movies. The SoCal culture just always looked glittery, gritty or superficial on TV, celebrity news and other media outlets.

Funny though, I met my first REAL Californian just this summer--born and raised in SoCal, and was amazed at how down to earth she seemed to be. I'm embarassed to say that I was surprised.

Hope my post didn't offend you. I didn't mean to.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Mainly on this site. I love NYC with all my heart, but a few of the NYers on here love to hate NJians with a passion. And due to the media having a field day with the garden state, I'm bombarded with stupidity when I leave the state and tell people where I'm from.
It's the land of "The Sopranos" after all.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander20910 View Post
People from NYC have it the worst, I'm starting to think 95% of people outside of the NYC metro do not like NYC, particularly the south.
I'm from the south, and I don't dislike NYC. I've never been there, but it is on my list of places to go because I think it would be great.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I guess I got my views of CA from TV and movies. The SoCal culture just always looked glittery, gritty or superficial on TV, celebrity news and other media outlets.

Funny though, I met my first REAL Californian just this summer--born and raised in SoCal, and was amazed at how down to earth she seemed to be. I'm embarassed to say that I was surprised.
Being a New Yorker that was my initial thought. Watching the reports of earthquakes and the annual fires did not help either.

When I arrived here, I made friends very quickly. Very open and genuine people and nothing like what is portrayed on TV. Most of the people in my trade (advertising, design and media) are super creative with very solid work ethics.

When I moved to Missouri for two years, I really missed the people of California. The demographic diversity. I missed being in a creative and proactive culture.

I found that many local Missourians are quick to judge, and only superficially (and passive-aggressive) friendly.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Mainly on this site. I love NYC with all my heart, but a few of the NYers on here love to hate NJians with a passion. And due to the media having a field day with the garden state, I'm bombarded with stupidity when I leave the state and tell people where I'm from.
It's the land of "The Sopranos" after all.
Naw. Its not hate, its just a rivalry. Go to south Jersey and its a rivalry with Philadelphia.

New Jersey as a state suffers from many of the same stereotypes as California. Many people fail to see how beautiful the state is really is.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM

134 posts, read 127,117 times
Of course I have. When I was working in North Carolina I was treated unfairly because everyone knew I was from Virginia. They would sneer at me and made sure I was left out of office parties. And when I did attend, they would ignore me. I could not stand it anymore and moved back to Virginia, where people do not care where you are from.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM

386 posts, read 987,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Of course I have. When I was working in North Carolina I was treated unfairly because everyone knew I was from Virginia. They would sneer at me and made sure I was left out of office parties. And when I did attend, they would ignore me. I could not stand it anymore and moved back to Virginia, where people do not care where you are from.
What part of Virginia are you from? I visit North Carolina a lot and I have always been treated with respect when people found out I was from Virginia. I am from Southside Va (southcentral Va), and I noticed many of the locals thought I was from North Carolina until I mentioned that I was not. Honestly I have been treated well everywhere I have been. I did get accent comments (people saying I sounded country/southern) when traveling to Cleveland, DC, and Jersey but everybody still treated me with respect.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 AM

134 posts, read 127,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
What part of Virginia are you from? I visit North Carolina a lot and I have always been treated with respect when people found out I was from Virginia. I am from Southside Va (southcentral Va), and I noticed many of the locals thought I was from North Carolina until I mentioned that I was not. Honestly I have been treated well everywhere I have been. I did get accent comments (people saying I sounded country/southern) when traveling to Cleveland, DC, and Jersey but everybody still treated me with respect.
I am from Richmond, Virginia. North Carolina along with many other southern states is where I have been treated with disrespect all based on where I was from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.