Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know where else have you seen carribean/island folk migrate to besides the obvious ones like Florida and New York. I'm Haitian and my family has probably lived everywhere. I have family in Boston, Brooklyn, few in California (from the golden days of San Francisco), almost all in Florida, and I live in Texas right now and have seen some Haitians there too. I know there's a significant puerto-rican population in Houston. They are also in LA too. There are few jamaicans out west from what I know. Where else have you seen carribean folk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Acording to the DHS, here are the rankings for number of Haitians gaining permanent US residency by metro area:

1) Miami
2) New York
3) Boston
4) Orlando
5) Stamford, CT
6) Philadelphia
7) Atlanta
8) Tampa
9) Washington DC
10) Jacksonville

For what it's worth, Miami gets almost as many as all the other metros combined. By the time you get to Stamford, it's barely a trickle.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Well I didn't mean just haitians. I meant carribean/island people in general.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
New York City. Apart from the obvious Puerto Rican and Dominican populations with have very large numbers of Jamaicans, Haitians, etc.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
New York City. Apart from the obvious Puerto Rican and Dominican populations with have very large numbers of Jamaicans, Haitians, etc.
I said not the obvious ones like NY or FL.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wanted to know where else have you seen carribean/island folk migrate to
Everywhere

West Indian here in Houston

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Everywhere

West Indian here in Houston
West Indian? I am only referring to island folk. Not people from the middle-east.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
West Indian? I am only referring to island folk. Not people from the middle-east.
lmao. People from the middle east are not west Indian. LMAO are you pulling my leg, cause that is so funny.

The Caribbean area was called West India because stupid Columbus thought he was in India when he arrived. LMAO. Well because he thought he was in India the area was called West India and the Inhabitants were called West Indians.

thus Caribbean people= West Indians
You seriously didn't know West Indians= Caribbean people???

Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lmao. People from the middle east are not west Indian. LMAO are you pulling my leg, cause that is so funny.

The Caribbean area was called West India because stupid Columbus thought he was in India when he arrived. LMAO. Well because he thought he was in India the area was called West India and the Inhabitants were called West Indians.

thus Caribbean people= West Indians
You seriously didn't know West Indians= Caribbean people???
I've heard it before but I didn't really know. I know Haitians came from West Africa. But I don't get why you didn't just say what nationality you are instead of region. I mean, I could say I'm west indian as well but what's that going to accomplish regarding my question? It's too generic.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I've heard it before but I didn't really know. I know Haitians came from West Africa. But I don't get why you didn't just say what nationality you are instead of region. I mean, I could say I'm west indian as well but what's that going to accomplish regarding my question? It's too generic.
lol, West India is just as specific as Caribbean. What are you talking about???

lol you are seriously making my day.

and Neither Caribbean, island folk or West Indian describes nationalities

lol, the Cricket team down there is called the WEST INDIAN team you know. it is not called the Caribbean team. No team is called that.

when you ask people from there what they are, they most often tell you the island (if it is big enough) or they tell you West Indian.

I have yet to meet someone who says: "Hi, I am Caribbean"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.