Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Midwest City
Millwaukee 5 4.85%
Detroit 4 3.88%
Chicago 40 38.83%
Cleveland 6 5.83%
Grand Rapids 2 1.94%
Madison 1 0.97%
Columbus 6 5.83%
Indianapolis 2 1.94%
South Bend 0 0%
Cincinnati 2 1.94%
Minneapolis 16 15.53%
St.Paul 1 0.97%
St. Louis 15 14.56%
Evanston 1 0.97%
Toledo 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
St. Louis is a losing city. in everything. it's population is at -13%, it has a small downtown, most dangerous us city. no good architecture, no new development. not many good resturaunts, and the population is very small.
You are making that up. It's downtown is not that small, it's as big as Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Cleveland, the last time I checked it has gained population since 2000, and in its metro area it is either stable or growing. Detroit and Cleveland are both losing population at some of the fastest rates in the country. As a metro area, St. Louis is no worse than crime than Detroit if not safer. St. Louis a losing city....being from Detroit you are a hypocrite to say such a thing. Detroit has been losing everything for the last what...30 years or so? Including the World Series to St. Louis? Hmmm...if I were moving to a city...Detroit or St. Louis? I'll take St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
While St. Louis does have a bad crime problem, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincy all have as bad crime as St. Louis. just stay away from North City and East St. Louis and it is perfectly safe. Why isn't Kansas City on this list anyway? It is as genuinely Midwestern as any other city on this list. Most of the crime in St. Louis occurs where no tourist or resident in his right mind would go to in St. Louis. North City and East St. Louis (on the Illinois side of the river) have nothing to offer anyone....so you don't have to put yourself in harm's way when trying to have a good time here. The rest of St. Louis rarely ever experiences crime. However, Kansas City seems to be doing better in its downtown areas and in general...it seemed cleaner and newer than St. Louis when I was there. Some of the best Midwestern cities you will find IMO are in Missouri.
Kansas City is a Great Plains city along with Omaha, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Lincoln, and Fargo. Kansas City really does not have that much in common with cities in the Midwest core like Milwaukee, Madison, South Bend, Cleveland, and Detroit. I still think that the Great Plains cities and the Midwest cities are often grouped together to often.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM

607 posts, read 2,980,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
Have you been to St. Louis?? I don't know where you are getting your info, but St. Louis (city) is gaining population for the first time in decades. St. Louis County has always been gaining population. No good architechture? Not many good restaurants? Hmmm... Just stop talking.
okay, let me think architecture yes, westlover. the tallest highrise is 42 stories, not big. second they have not many buildings. third it is a dangerous city, most dangerous. fourth it has just seen new residents, it's pop dropped from about 900,000, to about 300,000. and resturaunts, i don't know where you're going, what one nice resturuant. and also from the time I visited it had no ethnic towns. no chinatown, poletown...etc.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You are making that up. It's downtown is not that small, it's as big as Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Cleveland, the last time I checked it has gained population since 2000, and in its metro area it is either stable or growing. Detroit and Cleveland are both losing population at some of the fastest rates in the country. As a metro area, St. Louis is no worse than crime than Detroit if not safer. St. Louis a losing city....being from Detroit you are a hypocrite to say such a thing. Detroit has been losing everything for the last what...30 years or so? Including the World Series to St. Louis? Hmmm...if I were moving to a city...Detroit or St. Louis? I'll take St. Louis.
watch your back, bullets will be following you. and when the st. louis cards, beat detroit tigers, that same year they became the most dangerous us city. so check the cities crime first, also Detroit's, cleveland's and maybe millwaukees downtown is bigger.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
To me its bettween my hometown Cleveland or Chicago.Id probably like Detroit or St. Louis or Toledo,or any Midwest city but C-Town and The Chi is my favorites.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,992 times
Quote:
okay, let me think architecture yes, westlover. the tallest highrise is 42 stories, not big. second they have not many buildings. third it is a dangerous city, most dangerous. fourth it has just seen new residents, it's pop dropped from about 900,000, to about 300,000. and resturaunts, i don't know where you're going, what one nice resturuant. and also from the time I visited it had no ethnic towns. no chinatown, poletown...etc.
I wasn't aware that tall buildings made a city good. I'll have to remember that from now on. Oh, and you're right, there's not a single nice restaurant in the city of St. Louis, or in the metro area for that matter. It's just a vast wasteland of short buildings and small downtowns with no architecture whatsoever. You hit the nail right on the head, Jake! Oh, and was calling me 'westlover' supposed to be insulting?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:18 PM

St. Louis debate looks wild what's it about? st. louis has some nice resturaunts, and it's architecture is nice, but I think it can't compare with chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis. It does go along head to head with, cincy, grand rapids, cleveland, millwaukee, toledo though.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Shouldn't Evanston basically be considered Chicago? It is a suburb of Chicago...it's the same thing as Clayton is to St. Louis. Evanston=Chicago

Old 07-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
watch your back, bullets will be following you. and when the st. louis cards, beat detroit tigers, that same year they became the most dangerous us city. so check the cities crime first, also Detroit's, cleveland's and maybe millwaukees downtown is bigger.
Cleveland's downtown is not bigger than Downtown St. Louis, I'm sorry, I have seen it with my own eyes, both are relatively the same size....Cleveland may have one or two skyscrapers that are taller, that's it, other than that, both have the same number of skyscrapers roughly and the same number of buildings downtown. they are laid out differently so it is not easy to compare. Downtown St. Louis from what I have seen is bigger than Downtown Milwaukee and Downtown Kansas City and about the same size as Downtown Cincy. What are you going to say next, that Downtown Louisville is bigger than Downtown St. Louis? ROFLMFAO! Stop struggling. Also as far as city goes, St. Louis City encompasses roughly 60 square miles, Detroit encompasses a much large area....when spread out as metros St. Louis is no more dangerous than any Midwestern city. Quit trying to put down the Gateway City...I'm certain it looks much better as a whole metro than Detroit ever will. Detroit is going down the tubes...St. Louis is remaining stable and growing slightly.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Not many buildings...HAHAHAHA. Ever look at Midtown, the Central West End, or Clayton or in St. Louis County which is only 8 miles west of downtown and clearly visible from the Arch? You are unqualified to judge St. Louis, period, or any city for that matter. St. Louis may not have tall skycrapers like Detroit, but Cleveland's tallest building is 57 stories, and as far as height is concerned St. Louis has taller buildings than Milwaukee and Cincinnati. The ARch is as tall as KC and COlumbus' tallest buildings. Cleveland only has one skyscraper that is truly much taller than anything St. Louis has...Key Tower...ONE. Terminal Tower is only 100 feet taller than the Arch and that's because of a little steeple that hoists it up above other skyscrapers that doesn't look like it could accomodate very many people. Other than that, St. Louis' skycrapers are not short at all for a Midwestern city. Indy's only taller skyscraper is the Chase Tower. You are really exaggerating things. The only cities which have MANY skyscrapers dwarfing ours are among the largest in the United States. Detroit may have a few but it is twice as large. And that's not necessarily a good thing. In terms of appearance, St. Louis wins over Detroit. I would NEVER live in Detroit, not even at gunpoint.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-22-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.