Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

With the release of results for over 20 states, the 2010 Census has provided some strong indicators as to the real evolution of the country’s demography. In short, they reveal that Americans are continuing to disperse, becoming more ethnically diverse and leaning toward to what might be called “opportunity” regions.
Below is a summary of the most significant findings to date, followed by an assessment of what this all might mean for the coming decade.

Point One: America is becoming more suburban.

What The Census Tells Us About America’s Future - Joel Kotkin - New Geographer - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
A Third World Banana Republic. That's what it says!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Have you ever been to the third world? If not, then go, and when you get back you'll know the difference. The first time I went to one, I landed in Detroit on my way back home. I wanted to kiss the ground.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Quote:
Huh?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
I think the General Accounting Office has a better idea what's in store for America than the U.S. Census does, but maybe that's just me.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
The Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 (and lax border enforcement for a couple generations) is ruining the quality of life in this country. Without them we would probably have 50-75 million less people now, which means a lot less strain on the environment, agricultural land, energy, raw materials, education, health care and many other social programs. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. When the law enacted the US was a fully developed country pushing 200 million people. We really didn't need any more. Its like shutting the barn door after the horse got away, but we really need a freeze on all but the most skilled immigration and to actively pursue a policy of zero population growth. What has been happening since I was a little kid just isn't sustainable or desirable.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
The Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 (and lax border enforcement for a couple generations) is ruining the quality of life in this country. Without them we would probably have 50-75 million less people now, which means a lot less strain on the environment, agricultural land, energy, raw materials, education, health care and many other social programs. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. When the law enacted the US was a fully developed country pushing 200 million people. We really didn't need any more. Its like shutting the barn door after the horse got away, but we really need a freeze on all but the most skilled immigration and to actively pursue a policy of zero population growth. What has been happening since I was a little kid just isn't sustainable or desirable.
Funny how you say it isn't about race, yet are you aware that the whole purpose of the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 was to the equalize the process for immigrating to this country and specifically remove the Natural Origins formula of 1924 which had the goal of maintaining "the existing ethnic composition of the United States". Translation: Primarily allowing only people from Western and Northern European countries to immigrate her from the 1920s to the 1960s and effectively making it impossible for any one from Southern and Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America to immigrate to the United States. The reason why the Eastern European, Asian, Latino and native African populations have grown so much in the last few decades is because they were pretty much kept from immigrating here for racial reasons only.

Yeah, I'm sure you are aware of that. Let's totally go back to the policy of making sure only ethnically pure blue eyed blond haired people immigrate here...

Old 02-26-2011, 04:36 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Funny how you say it isn't about race, yet are you aware that the whole purpose of the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 was to the equalize the process for immigrating to this country and specifically remove the Natural Origins formula of 1924 which had the goal of maintaining "the existing ethnic composition of the United States". Translation: Primarily allowing only people from Western and Northern European countries to immigrate her from the 1920s to the 1960s and effectively making it impossible for any one from Southern and Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America to immigrate to the United States. The reason why the Eastern European, Asian, Latino and native African populations have grown so much in the last few decades is because they were pretty much kept from immigrating here for racial reasons only.

Yeah, I'm sure you are aware of that. Let's totally go back to the policy of making sure only ethnically pure blue eyed blond haired people immigrate here...
Of Course it's about race. Society is a Racial Construct. Think about that and dwell on it.

The Immigration & Naturalization Act of 1965 is totally destroying this country, and the effects are now starting to become massively known. Within three decades the federal government won't even be able to function due to the massive debt (greater than now) and decreased revenues. We're becoming a third world country, bit by bit, with third world people.

However, I know that you prefer more non-whites. I know that it's hunky-dorey for you to see fewer whites, for the people who founded and built this nation to take a back seat. After all, you're a non-white, I'm figuring, and you stand to gain something. Whites, on the other hand, stand to lose their country, their home, their way of life. You would never understand.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM

93,303 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Of Course it's about race. Society is a Racial Construct. Think about that and dwell on it.

The Immigration & Naturalization Act of 1965 is totally destroying this country, and the effects are now starting to become massively known. Within three decades the federal government won't even be able to function due to the massive debt (greater than now) and decreased revenues. We're becoming a third world country, bit by bit, with third world people.

However, I know that you prefer more non-whites. I know that it's hunky-dorey for you to see fewer whites, for the people who founded and built this nation to take a back seat. After all, you're a non-white, I'm figuring, and you stand to gain something. Whites, on the other hand, stand to lose their country, their home, their way of life. You would never understand.
I think you are mistaken, as race is a social construct created by Western Europeans for economic gain. I believe that what you meant.

Second, it wasn't initially the land of White folks and in fact, if anything, African Americans should probably be the most anti immigration group historically. Considering that around 70% of Whites in the US descend from people that came after the Civil War and 80% of Blacks descend from people that came before the same war, you think that would be the case, when all things are considered.

Then, you have to realize that without many of those 1965-present immigrants, there would be gaps in terms of some industries, when you consider the make up of the people in science and math based fields. So, that immigration has served a purpose to a great degree. It's not like illegal immigration is a new phenomenon. For example, think of what the derogatory term of WOP means in terms of Italians. It in essence speaks to an aspect of illegal immigration from Europe.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,774 times
A lot of people are saying 3rd world and a few years ago i would have disagreed but now im seeing it makes sense. Not being racist but with all of these hispanics moving in and completly taking over whole cities, soon it will be counties, and then states. Not saying all but most hispanic communities turn into a ghetto. Examples of this could be Chicago, Phoenix and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.