Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

That Waco TX is not all Branch Davidians (in fact I'm not sure many still remain here anymore), or bible thumping conservatives.

Yes it is mostly conservative, but those conservatives are more "middle of the road" type than the fundamental religious right conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
You don't need to tell me that, I do know that Delaware is the second smallest state and am well aware of the hard time it gets. I just didn't think people thought of it as urban.
Hi Bruce - Perhaps that's because you are more aware that it's actually not largely urban based on either travel or reading?

All many people see is the short stretch of 95 that passes through Wilmington and/or they are aware of the presence of DuPont manufacturing. Accordingly, as someone who grew up there, a very common response I've gotten is "your state seems pretty urban." As for my statement that it is the second smallest state, it was to correct your assertion that it is the smallest "(come on, it's the smallest state and most Brits don't know them all)." I thought the premise of the thread was pretty straight-forward. I had no idea that my own experience of people assuming my home state was largely urban would perplex you so much.

I hope this long explantion helps clarify things a bit. If not, please DM me so we can let others continue the fun of this thread.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Minnesota isn't some flat, boring midwest wasteland.

- We dooooon't all talk with the accent that you would hear on the movie Fargo
- It's not winter year long, or even 6 months. And it does get very hot here in the summer.
- We're not just all Lutheran Swedes with bake sales and church gatherings
- We don't eat Lutefisk. I have never seen it. I have rarely even heard of people eating it.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I wish people realized that there is more to Florida than Disney, the beaches, and retirees. I wish people got off of the interstate and took some of Florida's backroads to see that the entire state isn't a subdivision and that Florida is still a major agricultural state. And the goofy assumption that we no longer speak English down here is getting pretty old.
Que?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfCuteKids View Post
I wish people knew that Tennesseans aren't all uneducated, mountain people that smoke meth. I LOVE having all my teeth and I don't own a gun.
Replace Tennesseans with Alabamians. That's mine.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM

303 posts, read 752,571 times
that JC and the rest of NJ isn't ny AT ALL. We dont want to be and the "transplants" need to understand that too. Our lives in JC don't revolve around ny.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:11 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia all have deserts and arid regions in their interiors. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of this. Oregon should be the most obvious one (after all, it shares 150 miles of border with Nevada), but even BC has areas of "shrub-steppe" and arid scrublands. Visit the southern Okanogan Valley, or the Fraser Canyon area.

The record temperature in the Fraser River basin is 111.9F, which is quite high by Canadian standards, and is quite a bit toastier than it gets in Vancouver.
I was not aware of the deserts in the Pacific NW until my cousin moved to eastern Washington State and I saw pictures of where she lived (we are from NJ). I was shocked to see the desert--I always thought of Washington as endless forest, where, of course, all those serial killers hide the bodies of their victims.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:13 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I wish people realized that there is more to Florida than Disney, the beaches, and retirees. I wish people got off of the interstate and took some of Florida's backroads to see that the entire state isn't a subdivision and that Florida is still a major agricultural state. And the goofy assumption that we no longer speak English down here is getting pretty old.
Something I learned when I used to visit in-laws in Florida was how much cattle is raised there! When we drove inland from the Charlotte County area, there were cows everywhere.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
I'm originally from the Alleghenies in southern upstate New York. What I wish people knew about New York is that it's not all city, it is quite rural, and there are hicks everywhere. XD

My family is made up of quite a few real honest to goodness hillbillies, especially my immediate family. Yes, they exist up north to! They have the piles of rusty stuff and a dangerously bad house to prove it, among other things.

That aside, I'm tired of people instantly assuming NYC when they hear New York. I'm a country boy, a mountain man, and Appalachian for life. But I AM from New York. And I am tired of explaining it to everybody who asks me where I'm from!

New York = very rural despite incredibly high population. Most of those people live downstate anyway. :P

Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
We are not up to our eyeballs in snow 12 months a year in metro Denver. In fact, it has never snowed in July or August (though the earliest date of the first snow is Sept. 3). Our winter is actually milder than that of a lot of places at the same latitude (40degrees North).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.