Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 02:26 PM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times

Advertisements

Colorado, Oregon, and Washington were the hardest decisions for my map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 08:19 AM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
I would not classify California as hot. That is way too binary for that state.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Colorado, Oregon, and Washington were the hardest decisions for my map.
I'm mostly familiar with California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, and none of them can be classified as cold or hot climate. They are all big enough and with diverse topography to have parts hot and parts cold. Here in Washington, for example, the northern part and mountains are cold climate, but the southeast part is hot climate (Tri-Cities, Yakima). The west part where we live is neither, but more of a mild climate having no extremes of hot or cold normally. I will say though, that in our 27 years here in Sammamish WA 2021 has been crazy. Normal summer high is 85, winter low 20. This year we hit 114F in June, and Monday a low of 9F.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm mostly familiar with California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, and none of them can be classified as cold or hot climate. They are all big enough and with diverse topography to have parts hot and parts cold. Here in Washington, for example, the northern part and mountains are cold climate, but the southeast part is hot climate (Tri-Cities, Yakima). The west part where we live is neither, but more of a mild climate having no extremes of hot or cold normally. I will say though, that in our 27 years here in Sammamish WA 2021 has been crazy. Normal summer high is 85, winter low 20. This year we hit 114F in June, and Monday a low of 9F.
The same thing can be said for pretty much any western state. Due to varied topography there are quite a bit of temperature and climate extremes in pretty much all the western states.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Below is a pretty typical average snowfall map taken with satellite data in winter. Gives you a pretty good idea what is considered a cold state. I definitely lump the Northern Rockies, Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest and Northeast as cold states.

However that doesn’t tell the whole picture as I believe you need to look at summer time temps as well. I don’t classify California as a hot state, because it is not subtropical at all. In fact Northern California is the same latitude as NY and large swaths of the state receives extreme snowfalls.

I would not consider the lower midwestern states (such as Missouri and Oklahoma) and states south of NY as “cold places†despite winter extremes at times. I would not classify any area south of DC as “coldâ€â€¦. They have very long hot summers. They also don’t have consistent snow pack and there summer time average are much to hot and humid.

By the end of spring you can clearly see where the snow pack has retreated. Outside of the PNW, Rockies and extreme NE most of the United States warming up quite a bit. Higher elevations of the intermountain west and PNW are still snow covered well into June and pretty much uninhabitable.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 12-29-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 01:54 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
CO is absolutely not hot. Everything in the continental US is downhill from CO and elevation makes places colder. Much of the mountains outside of a couple valleys (where the people are) is essentially subarctic climate. And even in the hottest part of the state, the arkansas valley on the plains, it'd be a stretch to call it HOT.

Daytime highs can get up there for CO, but that's balanced by low nightime temps. Daily mean is quite low for Colorado, and the fact that it's dry doesn't really change that much on the feels like temp in the winter.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:55 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Are we judging based off of winters or year round averages?

Old 12-14-2022, 06:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Are we judging based off of winters or year round averages?
Year round averages
https://www.amcharts.com/visited_sta...WA,US-WI,US-WY
https://www.amcharts.com/visited_sta...UT,US-VA,US-WV
Change the color of the latter to a hot color.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
That pretty much lines up with todays current snow coverage. Pretty obvious what states are cold states. This map pretty much looks the same every winter. Outside the Mountain West, Pacific Northwest, and upper Midwest and extreme northeast consistent snow coverage in winter is not common (for more than a few weeks) in the lower 48 and is mostly lacking in the Southeast, lower Midwest and Southern California.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 12-14-2022 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2022, 11:10 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
This is ridiculous. Almost every US state experiences both significant heat and significant cold with a handful of exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.