Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Texas any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
if you want to live somewhere pretty come to Arizona. if you want crowded and flat take TX. though, they probably pay more back there i'm sure.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 104,824 times
It sounds like the employment opportunities are more plentiful in TX than in AZ. I have been suggested the area of Houston numerous times as they are supposed to still have a decent employment rate. I am just wondering which side of Houston people would recommend, South,North,East,West? If it is anything like Chicago, the south side is not as nice as the north side.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 78,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
if you want to live somewhere pretty come to Arizona.
Opinion. Not a real difference between the two as I can say the same thing about most of Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
if you want crowded and flat take TX. though, they probably pay more back there i'm sure.
Not accurate at all. In fact, in Austin and the hill country, I dare you to find a piece of flat land.

Texas seems to have more jobs and WAY more choice as far as scenery goes. Swamp, hill country, beach, desert...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
I would go with Texas.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 36,524 times
I am faced with the same decision of place. I only been in Texas for just over a year and now I am faced with not owning a home that I like in Texas because prices are higher for the home that I want and then of course property tax is almost twice as much in Round Rock, Texas area (near Austin). We are debating going back to Arizona where I could get a house and pay minimal on property tax but would have to pay state income taxes on my business income (I work from home or wherever there is available internet). It is an excellent choice to have and I am blessed but it is mindboggedly difficult as I really do not know any place where the sun shine so much (about 300 days a year) where Texas is much less than half the year. As a matter of fact as of this writing, we are expecting the next ten days to be rainy and in near Phoenix, it will be sunny and 80's almost all that time. I cannot buy the weather but I have no other income source that keeps me in Texas currently. I am having a mutiny from my preteen daughter if I even suggest moving back to Arizona. She likes a boy here and a few friends but she would go back to a lot of friends that she forgets about when back in Arizona. There is not a lot to do here without the sunshine too. I love the trees, green grass but the humidity and the lack of the sun is brutal. I do take D3s and great vitamins and herbals including St. John's Wart (for emotions) but still bothers me. I am also getting grumpiness from my wife because of the lack of sunshine. She was born in Arizona. So I am kind of sandwiched between ladies. Also, I am very aware of the economics of both places. The cost of living is substantially lower for housing in AZ but utilities is very different if you don't have solar power attached to the home. Texas has an ultimate free enterprise system that I love on Utilities. There multiple utility companies to choose from with about 250 plans to choose from and a 3500 sf home during the summer would be as high as $200 but lots less every other month. In Phoenix, you will pay almost $600 p/month on same size home and such. So yes that might sway the people in owning homes that get sticker shock on property tax. The high property tax in TX has a lot to do with fantastic schools and neighborhoods but some of them are ugly high. There are a few new Round Rock communities that are requiring $9k+ in property tax and there are no tax credits where a lot of rural areas and such will have lots of different available property tax credits. I hope this gives an enough information for anybody else's input. I do appreciate.it. We tried prayer guidance too and many other answers to sway us. I do love the economy in Texas and the fantastic bbq but I can't buy the sunshine that Arizona has.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 AM

Oh yes, Texas has comparable incomes to California whereas Arizona incomes has lowered. You can see the labor statistics on this too. I use to make a certain amount of money in Arizona and for the same work it is about 10% lower and this is almost 9 years ago. In Texas, I am getting very close to California especially if we compared the payroll taxes and it is dramatically different when compared to Arizona. About $20 to $30 thousand more income in Texas.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 AM

AZ is cactuses and palm trees but very nice in the Northern Parts and then there is: Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, Parker areas that are really nice too.
Texas is not quite flat that would be Arizona mostly flat and deserty with dust devils too.
Texas is very green in a lot of places but also green with the money you will be able to take home too to spend on you, your families and all the entertainment venues and excellent bbqs. Arizona, in particular the vicinity of Phoenix has much lower incomes and it will seem that lots of entertainment cost a lot because you will not have as much disposable income.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 AM

352 posts, read 570,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill68 View Post
I am faced with the same decision of place. I only been in Texas for just over a year and now I am faced with not owning a home that I like in Texas because prices are higher for the home that I want and then of course property tax is almost twice as much in Round Rock, Texas area (near Austin). We are debating going back to Arizona where I could get a house and pay minimal on property tax but would have to pay state income taxes on my business income (I work from home or wherever there is available internet).
IronWill68,

I too am faced with the same decision. I used to live in Tucson, AZ, moved to Houston in 2010, and moved to DFW in 2011. We just recently returned from a trip back to AZ as we were researching Phoenix and surrounding areas for a possible relocation within a year. We also took a pause in Sedona during our trip.

I guess the lifestyle in AZ vs TX is what is important to me. I like scenic drives/scenery, choices in outdoor activities, spring training baseball, closer access to nice beaches (CA, Mexico, direct flights to Hawaii), & arid/semi-arid warm climate (i could breathe clearly in AZ, and upon returning to the moist air in DFW, i've been dealing with inflammation/allergies of my respiratory system and gets worse every year).

We found nice homes on a larger lots, swimming pools with views of mountains in great neighborhoods and comparatively speaking, the combined property taxes and insurance in AZ were $2,800 vs. what they'd be in TX ($6,900) for the same priced home. Our salaries will likely be around the same as they are here in TX, and our average monthly AZ income tax is around $200. Gas was 8 cents higher in Phoenix vs DFW. Groceries seemed to be the same. Sales taxes in Phoenix is 9.3% vs 8.25% in DFW.

I respect the growth and opportunities in Texas, but it has never felt like home for us.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM

389 posts, read 596,206 times
As someone that has lived in both states (Houston and Scottsdale), I would wholeheartedly choose Texas over Arizona. I can't speak for every part of Arizona, but the Valley was way too hot in the summer. They say the dry heat is better than humidity, but I have lived in both and will take humidity with lower temps. I missed greenery, trees, and rain. My allergies were worse in Arizona, because of all the dust particles.

I also feel that the larger cities in Texas offer more diversity and cultural amenities than Phoenix. I found the dining options in metro Phoenix to be lacking when compared to the Texas cities.

I won't deny that Phoenix is great for outdoorsy folks that enjoy hiking and golf, but I found it to be lacking in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.