Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallkiller728 View Post
I Love NY, and I've been down South.

Sorry to say, there was no "Southern Hospitality" where I went
where did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
Quote:
I Love NY, and I've been down South.

Sorry to say, there was no "Southern Hospitality" where I went
And if you had a tendency to start every sentence with "that's not how we did it back home..." THAT will get you in trouble BIG time. Or "Back home, we do it his way....."

Southerners don't like being put down. Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
And if you had a tendency to start every sentence with "that's not how we did it back home..." THAT will get you in trouble BIG time. Or "Back home, we do it his way....."

I wouldnt say that its "putting them down" necessarily. And are you trying to scare us by exaggerating "that" and "big"? LOL Beware everybody!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

i dunno, i quite like learning how others do things "back home" and I don't feel threatened by it and/or need to get threatening over it.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ill never understand the huge urge to move south. Many come back home because they dislike the south. Its a trend, one that will phase out sooner or later.
I doubt it, Steve-o. I've got lots of relatives who've moved South over the past several decades (including my family when I was a teen-ager) and I know how the psychology works. The average Northerner thinks that the South will be exactly like his home in the North, only there will be no snow and mild winters. In reality, he is met with inferno humidity, poor schools, higher crime, more sprawl, less educated populace, fewer cultural activities, less rooted population, etc. etc. Then they constantly carp at the natives about "this is the way we did it up North".

They just don't believe those who have been there before them, they have to try it themselves!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
And are you trying to scare us by exaggerating "that" and "big"? LOL
If I wanted to REALLY scare you, I would have said: THAT will get you in trouble BIG time. LOL.

Amazingly enough, given the amount of threads on the southern forums here asking questions like "Why don't y'all have Wegman's or NY Pizza or ______ (pick something that is not native to the south but is to the north)?

And asking in a manner that implies what IS in the south is less than acceptable sounds as if the southern states are being put down right and left. And it gets the southern dander up. Tends to want us to tell people that I95/85/75 heads north as well as south and to not let the door hit them in the rear on their way home.

IF they would just ask, what is around here that is comparable to maybe a Wegman's? We would tell them that nothing actually compares but we do have lots of our own that might work instead.

It's all in how a question is framed. You get more flies with honey than vinegar. And maybe being forthright is natural to a northerner you still don't have to be rude about it. It's not what you say but how you say it.

I've seen some say the southerner is being two faced but we aren't...we just aren't as forthright as northerners.

DYSKE - Yankee Manners

Quote:
It depresses me that Southern heritage is such a dirty word to some people. It makes me sad to think that Southern customs are regarded with so much hostility and suspicion by people who know next to nothing about them. Southerners -- Black and white alike -- have made enormous contributions to American society, in ways that are unique and inspiring.

The last thing we need to do as a country is to encourage people to write off the South as a cultural wasteland. The North does not hold a patent on intelligence or righteousness. It does not have a monopoly on tolerance and progressiveness.

Not by a long shot.

We need to acknowledge the fact that Southern attitudes are not automatically wrong, or backwards, or bigoted, or otherwise unusable, just because they are from the South.

Some aspects of Southern culture don’t belong in the twenty-first century; it’s true. But we need to examine our stereotypes about the South so that we can recognize and honor the basic wisdom contained in many aspects of Southern culture. Especially when it comes to things like good manners.

Good manners are, after all, the heart and soul of diplomacy. And what else is there but diplomacy to save us from ourselves?

As hatred toward the United States and its allies continues to escalate, we need to be acutely aware of the impression we are making on other nations. As we work to win the hearts and minds of the world, we should strive to become much more graceful and considerate in our dealings with others, both at home and abroad.

Although good manners might just seem like insignificant step in the journey toward world peace, they really do make an enormous difference in society. And whether or not something as simple as good old fashioned Southern Charm can actually do anything to save us from global conflict, it couldn’t really hurt for some of us to try to get in that mindset, sometimes.
Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The average Northerner thinks that the South will be exactly like his home in the North, only there will be no snow and mild winters. In reality, he is met with inferno humidity, poor schools, higher crime, more sprawl, less educated populace, fewer cultural activities, less rooted population, etc. etc. Then they constantly carp at the natives about "this is the way we did it up North".

They just don't believe those who have been there before them, they have to try it themselves!
I guess, like Drover, I finally have my cue to unsubscribe from this thread.

Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,043 times
It does seem like the biggest "hotspot" for these northern-southern disputes is North Carolina. Seems to be where a lot of recent northern transplants (and from California/Florida) are heading and they are being met with some resistance by the North Carolina residents.

It's pretty interesting from an outsider's point of view about how much mixturing that is going on over there and almost every debate is between transplants and residents directly or indirectly.

To put it in perspective, the North Carolina forum has over 15,000 posts, the next highest is Texas with 8,000 posts while the rest are from 1,000-3,000.
The General US forum has about 1,700. North Carolina sure has a lot to talk about.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,090 times
Sure seems like a LOT of stereotyping going on from both "sides" in this thread. No wonder there is friction, seems each has a preconceived notion about the other. That's a shame.

Last edited by Sporin; 08-21-2007 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM

217 posts, read 879,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I doubt it, Steve-o. I've got lots of relatives who've moved South over the past several decades (including my family when I was a teen-ager) and I know how the psychology works. The average Northerner thinks that the South will be exactly like his home in the North, only there will be no snow and mild winters. In reality, he is met with inferno humidity, poor schools, higher crime, more sprawl, less educated populace, fewer cultural activities, less rooted population, etc. etc. Then they constantly carp at the natives about "this is the way we did it up North".

WOW....You couldn't be more wrong. My family and I moved down south several years ago and our lives have not suffered like you said.

There are bad areas in all regions of the country. Poor schools, high crime, sprawl, poorly educated, no culture, transient...that can apply to places up north too.

I have always heard that southerners hate northerners, but after reading this forum, I can see it works both ways. Speaking as a northerner, I think the hate is greater on the northern side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.