Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times

Advertisements

Easily Kansas (and eastern Colorado). I'm not a real big fan of I-80 through Pennsylvania, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 AM

591 posts, read 866,122 times
Pretty much Southern California from San Bernardino County until the hills near San Antonio, Texas, BORING.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I find it interesting that so many in this thread have used interstate highways (I-**) as a barometer for boredom. I would offer that most interstate highways offer the perfect tonic for boredom, with some exceptions. There is a sameness to the interstates that borders on tortuous. The pattern is exit ramp, franchises, gas stations, on ramps, wash rinse repeat. Additionally, these roads have been commonly engineered with standards to accept high rates of speed with long haul vehicles crowding out passenger cars. Clearly, this is no way to tour the country objectively. As Charles Kuralt once famously and rightfully said: "Thanks to the advent of the interstate highway system, it is now entirely possible to cross the country without seeing anything at all."

I recently relocated to St.Louis Missouri and purposefully stayed off the interstate highway system during the entire 1200 mile drive. To my delight and surprise, Kansas transformed into a magnificent interesting continum of small towns, each somewhat different than the next. I was able to witness a transformation of steppe climate semi arid Great Plains dissolve into lush green landscape. Everyone should try this sometime before being dismissive of an entire state. I would argue that if one took I-91 or I-89 through one of my favorite places, Vermont, that one would come away with a less than complimentary view of the place, and that would be a shame.
I'll agree with you on this one.
Due to the strict routing I have to follow on my job, the interstate freeways are almost always used and never to be deviated from unless we want a mouthful.
However, I would say the most beautiful drives I've done when being stuck with a load running north-south/vice-versa through CA-OR-WA was the US-97.
Like the lonesome quietness of my beloved I-70 and 15 going through my atypical route, this stretch actually makes what could be a dreaded trip through the greens, a little more enjoyable.
And then of course another route I experienced for the first time this year was the US-160 and 285 through CO and NM due to part of the 25 getting shut down due to those fires.
The "attractive remoteness" and general rugged terrain aspect was a sight that never got old there.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM

983 posts, read 2,541,339 times
Kansas and Florida on HWY 95

Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Personally, I find mountains more boring than a flat, continuous landscape. I'd rather drive through Kansas than Colorado, but hey, that's me.

Actually, I have not really found any place to be "boring", it's all beautiful, as far as I am concerned.

20yrisnBranson

Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm not a real big fan of I-80 through Pennsylvania, either.
I'll second this choice. I hate driving across Pennsylvania.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM

163 posts, read 376,581 times
Pennsylvania becomes boring after a while. If you're driving through E-W, it's a long drive, and while scenic, Pennsylvania isn't so beautiful as to keep the drive interesting.

Indiana and Illinois might be boring, but they're brief. There's a little morale boost for every state you get through that keeps both Indiana and Illinois from being tortuous to drive through.

Iowa and Missouri are both pretty bad. Vast, bleak plains that go on forever. Both big enough to make it a pain.

The worst though, has to be Nebraska. The longest drive of any I've mentioned, and criminally boring. In the central part of the state, things pick up a bit. The sloping green hills are pretty by Nebraska standards, but the scenery is very underwhelming when given the scope of the drive. I've driven across the state and back twice, there's not a whole lot to see, abd what there is to see ain't worth seeing.

On the positive end of things, New Mexico is gorgeous, especially around Albuquerque. It's still a very long drive, but goes by more pleasantly than a trip through Nebraska.

King of the hill, though, of all the places I've driven through, is Colorado. The eastern plains can be a little dull, but the front range cities are all beautiful, and southern Colorado is amazing.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Texas. The interstates run through some of the most boring and depressing areas of the state.
I concur. God-forsaken scenery makes me feel like I'm on another planet as it's just so terribly ugly and boring.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I find it interesting that so many in this thread have used interstate highways (I-**) as a barometer for boredom. I would offer that most interstate highways offer the perfect tonic for boredom, with some exceptions. There is a sameness to the interstates that borders on tortuous. The pattern is exit ramp, franchises, gas stations, on ramps, wash rinse repeat. Additionally, these roads have been commonly engineered with standards to accept high rates of speed with long haul vehicles crowding out passenger cars. Clearly, this is no way to tour the country objectively. As Charles Kuralt once famously and rightfully said: "Thanks to the advent of the interstate highway system, it is now entirely possible to cross the country without seeing anything at all."

I recently relocated to St.Louis Missouri and purposefully stayed off the interstate highway system during the entire 1200 mile drive. To my delight and surprise, Kansas transformed into a magnificent interesting continum of small towns, each somewhat different than the next. I was able to witness a transformation of steppe climate semi arid Great Plains dissolve into lush green landscape. Everyone should try this sometime before being dismissive of an entire state. I would argue that if one took I-91 or I-89 through one of my favorite places, Vermont, that one would come away with a less than complimentary view of the place, and that would be a shame.
I think this is a very valid point. Whenever I have the time, I enjoy just getting off the interstates and seeing America. While I said that I-80 in PA is boring, driving across the state on secondary roads was a great experience. Also did most of New Mexico on secondary roads, which was one of the nicest drives ever.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
I'd have to say that there aren't states so much as particular highways that bore me.

I-90 through NY bypasses pretty much all of the Appalachian hills and low mountains through western and central NY, staying almost exclusively on the Ontario plains. The southern Tier expy, however, goes right through the beautiful scenery.

In Mississippi I-55 is pretty dull. But if you go towards Meridian instead the landscape gets some roll to it and the much of the roads are lined with Magnolias.

Here in Louisiana it all depends on where you are. I-10 goes through some really dull areas like the prairie, but also some gorgeous areas like south along lake Pontchartrain heading towards New Orleans.

Ohio is a state where it gets much, much better off of the beaten path. The interstates are boring, but the back roads are great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.