Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,470 times

Advertisements

Florida, it's flat and filled with scrub vegetation that goes on an on. Driving on I-95 or the FL Turnpike is miles of torture. http://lifehealthus.com/image/images/122.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I'm surprised I-10 through Texas hasn't been mentioned more. Boring scenery for an extremely long time.
It has it's scenic parts in the western part of the state, but I do agree.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:01 PM

53 posts, read 89,164 times
Having lived in both Illinois and Florida, both states can be brutal to drive through. The massive North/South trek through Illinois is BRUTALLY boring. The most exciting things are the gigantic cross in Effingham and I think at one point you pass a large prison.

The FL turnpike is also unbelievably boring. It goes through the center of the state and there is nothing -- literally nothing -- to look at off the side of the road except grass. At one point you do go through Orlando, but after that...it's like Twilight Zone nothingness all the way to South Florida. I've driven it by myself many times and I seriously feel like a driver could go crazy in that isolation! I remember being surprised by how much distance there was between exits and how few places there were to stop.

Then, of course, you have the classics of brutality: Kansas and/or Nebraska. But, as someone else mentioned, eastern Colorado is also horrendous. As a kid we took a road trip to the Rocky Mountains from Chicago, and my brother and I were SO EXCITED to finally reach the Colorado state line. Sorry kids, the scenery doesn't start for a while, lol.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
New Jersey Turnpike. It looks the same for hours. It's surrounded by the same trees all the way down, and it's very flat. And I swear, the same bridge overpass appears every 1-2 miles. Exits are also very few and far between.
The turnpike is only about 100 miles long. If it takes "hours" then it's either Thanksgiving weekend or something is wrong. There's also about ~20 miles of heavy industry, refineries, the seaport, and the landing approach to Newark Airport that (to me, at least) add a bit of thrill. There are certainly more scenic drives out there, but the NJTP is too short and has too much stuff going on around it to be on a list of the most boring drives in the country. For instance, I-95 from Petersburg VA to Jacksonville FL is about 575 miles of flat land and loblolly pine trees with little more than South of the Border to break the monotony.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:26 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Nebraska bar none. It takes an entire day to get through W/E and it's nothing but corn.

Heck, driving through Iowa is an upgrade in comparison, and that's not saying much.
It takes you an entire day to drive 450 miles or so? You know the speed limit is 75, right? LOL Of course the drive across I-80 isn't very exciting. There's a reason they put it in the flattest part of the state.

I frequently drive across SD on I-90 and most of the time I don't even mind the boring part (which, granted, is most of it. Haha). Set your cruise control and enjoy the open road, big sky and wide open spaces. It's good for the soul! However, I once made the drive across the state twice in one day. I will admit, THAT was brutal.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Nebraska isn't bad if you stay off I-80. The Sand Hills between Valentine and North Platte are awesome.

Kansas, on the other hand, is a complete beating.

The exact same could be said of Kansas off of I-70. And Kansas has several regions that rival, or outshine, the sandhills.

Both states also have hilly, glaciated, lightly forested eastern thirds and vast swaths of nearly featureless expanses of large grain farms, punctuated occasionally by stunning stretches of truly unique natural features.

They are more or less identical. I would never argue that either is a particularly lovely state, but the Interstates through both are basically the most boring routes available (as the Interstates are nearly everywhere).

Old 11-02-2014, 12:00 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,707 times
I second Indiana. Flat flat flat. At least there are windmills there, that's something...

Old 11-04-2014, 06:36 AM

46 posts, read 61,297 times
The entire Great Basin area is dreadful. Just dreadful. 3 days of nuthin. From Austin, up through Durango, Co, SLC, the scrub desert of Eastern Oregon.

Then a thin, thin strip of giant trees they're working like mad to chop down. lol.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
What do people expect to see along the side of an interstate... actors performing skits? A laser light show? Sheesh. If you think an entire state is boring to drive across, then maybe your brain just isn't stimulated very easily. Some people just aren't the "curious" type when it comes to geography. And that's OK, I suppose. But maybe try to be a little more self aware about whether it's truly the state that is boring, or if perhaps you just don't like to look at stuff from a car window.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
I used to think Florida until I drove across the Great Plains states. I can now firmly say that Kansas, eastern Colorado (which is almost as big as Florida), Oklahoma, and Texas are more boring to drive across than Florida. Florida actually does have some cute hilly parts of the state in the panhandle and inner peninsula. The interstates don't show you the best of it but they are easy to find with some back roads. The horse country north of Orlando is beautiful

But, it is all about the road you drive across. For instance, I have driven through all parts of Mississippi. I have driven I-10, I-20, and highway 78.

I-10 and I-20 were gross. Boring and what I remember was quite ugly. Highway 78 was gorgeous. I remember hills, forests, farms and very well cut grass along the hilly highway. I thought to myself that this is a gorgeous side of Mississippi that doesn't get talked about enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.