Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Y'all 75 40.98%
You Guys 88 48.09%
Something else 20 10.93%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
How does what he said not make sense? It makes perfect sense, today girls are actors, comedians, heroes, aviators etc. even though we have (or had) the words actress, comedienne, heroine, aviatrix. Words do and have evolved.

And it is very similar to the idea of using man and mankind for humans. Those words also originated in the masculine sense, hence the "man" parts. They still came to include everyone because it was and has been accepted that way, and comes from times when women were considered below men, and from the fact that men have been considered the default. Think of it like in Spanish, a group of men is ellos, a group of women is ellas, but if a group of 100 girls has even one man with them, they are all ellos. That's just how it is in many languages, guys has come to refer to everyone in English, and people can generally easily tell if you mean men or not in context. So yeah, there is alot of basis for referring to a group of girls as guys.

As for ya'll being lyrical and poetic, that completely depends. Coming out of Rhett Butler's mouth maybe, out of the Jed Clampetts and worse, not so much. And it only makes so much better sense to you because you grew up with it, just like you guys sounds much more right to us. In England they love to look down on American English like we do among regions here, but their English isn't any more right than ours at this point, it's just pride, bias and perspective. In any case, they certainly aren't saying ya'll over there, but then, they also say theaters are cinemas, etc.

For me, I say guys, girls, people, you guys, and sometimes you all. And it's no big deal to call girls guys up here, if you actually mean just men guys, people will get you in context and alot of times it's usually said in opposition to girls when used in that sense anyway.
Mankind is short for Hu(man) kind. It's not a case of a word evolving.

Guys, on the other hand, being used in the general sense is a modern-day creation. In general, guy is a masculine noun. Go back one hundred years ago, and people even in the north and west were not saying "You guys".

By the way, "Y'all" does roll off the tongue easier than you guys, for it's one syllable instead of two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
And it's no big deal to call girls guys up here . . .
Especially when you considering girls and women in the northeast refer to each other as "you guys." That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a poster with a secondary agenda who claims "y'all," "you guys" or whatever is better and even grammatically correct. In English, the plural of "you" is "you." Anything else is dialect, which to me makes things more interesting. Whether it's you, youse, you guys, youse guys, y'all, you all, all y'all, you'uns or yins - viva la difference!

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 08-10-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
In Brooklyn it's "Youse guys".

Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I use both.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
I say "you guys."

"Y'all" actually makes a lot more sense though. It's a contraction of "you all." We need to get people saying it nationwide, in my opinion. I would say it but it's not worth dealing with a reaction from people every time.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Unfortunately its "yous guys" for me too. I need to get off the Island lol!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
We really need a 2nd person plural in English... someone should start a petition.
That's what Y'all is.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
IMO northerners using 'you guys' to refer to both sexes is not much different than when some southerners use 'coke' to refer to all types of soft drinks. (I'm looking at you Tex )

I typically use 'y'all' unless I'm in a situation where I want to be more forceful, then I tend to fall back on on my native 'you guys.'
"Come on you guys, put some hustle in it!" means busines.
"Y'all need to put some hustle in it!" isn't quite as forceful to my way of thinking, it sounds more like a suggestion than a demand.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,503 times
"You guys" isn't always appropriate (because I don't like saying it to a group of ladies!) but it sounds normal to me and I use it all the time. Up in northern Illinois I didn't grow up using "y'all"--I don't even think my friends from downstate used "y'all." Now when I moved to Kentucky that was different.

I like hearing "y'all" with their accent but I don't like how it sounds coming out of my mouth. There was a guy at my work who was English and new to Kentucky, and he would say "y'all"--it was really funny. I've been in the Louisville area for three years now but sometimes the term still confuses me. A coworker likes to ask me, "y'all got a lot of work tonight?" and I still look around and say, "uh, well, it's just me tonight, you know..."

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
I feel like I only use "y'all" but people here are starting to use "you guys" a lot too. But I noticed there's a difference. People will always say "yall" when talking about a store, business, etc: "Do y'all sell ______?" but "you guys" is becoming popular when referring to a group of people: "What are you guys up to?" Of course, it's still pronounced with a Southern accent. I use "y'all" for both situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.