Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I don't know. Do Virginians seem that way?
------------------------------

I notice that once you get to Richmond the Southern Feel starts. I live in Northern Va which as all the charm of New Jersey. Northern VA is not the South.
I think Fredericksburg is where it starts. You are exaggerating about northern Vigrinia. I have been to the Northeast, and its nothing like it. Its more Southern-Lite.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Dingler, voted "Most unique threads", where do you get this stuff?

Ok I have lived in NC for 7 years now and have talked to more strangers than in my whole live in CA. Ok I am going to Sacramento on Sept 7th to visit my DD. I will do a test and just start a conversation with strangers and see what happens. I think it's real.

As for the Hi how are you, no one really wants to know

Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 111,121 times
Default Fake-Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnC View Post
I am a southerner, and I can say that on the surface they are freindlier, but it is more of a "good manners" kind of way. I think Southerners are less direct that Northerners, so yes, somewhat fake.

I actually prefer the directness and candor of Northerners.
Well said. I am a transplanted northerner living in suburban Atlanta.

Good manners are an ingrained part of Southern culture and displays of anger or rudeness will get you ostricized from a group VERY QUICKLY here. Females are particularly "fake" in the South with indirect passive-aggressive behavior (i.e., shutting others out with a smile). Complete opposite rules from Nothern culture where emotion is considered a part of being "real."

Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
I'm a Southerner. I have excellent manners but don't hesitate to be direct when necessary.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,347,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I grew up in the south and lived in the midwest for years. If by friendly you mean extroverted and more open with others including strangers, then yeah southerners are definetly more friendly and it's not an act.

People down south are much more likely to strike up a conversation, give a greeting, or just smile than people up North and I don't think it's because they necessarily have some kind of alterior motive it just comes natural in most settings.

Does that mean southerners are incapable of being rude, gossipy, talk about someone behind their back etc. Of course not.

Some southerners are even downright rude, but I find it's much easier to talk a rude southerner into showing some manners and even get an apology than to get that same result from a rude northerner.
As someone who has lived in D.C., the midwest and the south, I agree with Galounger. If you'd rather hang out with folks who have all the charm and politeness of the Soup Nazi, go for it. I much prefer those who are friendly even if I know that when they ask "how are you", it's a polite inquiry and not an invitation to give them a rundown of my life. I rarely get the feeling that people in my city are fake-friendly and my city has the unwarranted rep (esp on this site) for having the majority of residents being fake. Nothing wrong with a little civility and a smile.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
When I first moved here thirty years ago I think people were more friendly with you if you were just passing through. If you were a newcomer, they tended to be more suspicious of you. It took a long time to gain the trust of the 'locals' in most cases.
Now that I am 'one of them' I don't know if it is still that way...it may be.... I think I may tend to be that way.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,642 times
No it is not fake if you're going to generalize every southerner. People are people.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM

315 posts, read 761,051 times
You have a valid point here. I personally believe us southerners are more friendly but we were trained to be that way from birth. When I lived in nyc and I would always answer to people with yes mam, yes sir they were shocked and disgusted at the same time lol. The people in nyc hate to be reminded of thier age so they prefer if we not be so formal when answering to them. Meanwhile in the south it is considered disrespectful to answer people without saying yes sir or yes mam. Especially if they or either older and or your school teacher, and employers etc.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Every time I go to a Southern State I am impressed with how friendly most of the people are. When I go back home and tell people about it, the common statement is that the friendliness down South is not real. I am told the friendliness is actually a form of passive aggressive behavior and instead the people really do not like me but were told by their parents to act polite and friendly to everyone. In reality, they are talking nasty about me behind my back as soon as I leave.

Can this be true? Is southern hospitality a fake?
Nah, by in large southern hospitality is the real deal. There are some bad apples of course (just like anywhere) that are not genuine. For the most part, however, you will not find folks anywhere near as friendly and outgoing as in the South. And I'm not speaking as someone that has never moved out of my hometown....lived on East & West Coast and visited the Midwest and there ain't nobody like good 'ol southern folks. Of course, I'm partial to my south-central peeps from Oklahoma/Texas.:-)

Old 08-09-2008, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think Fredericksburg is where it starts. You are exaggerating about northern Vigrinia. I have been to the Northeast, and its nothing like it. Its more Southern-Lite.

Southern-lite. That's pretty much right, although the sprawling developments of condos and McMansions and the ubiquity of Best Buys and malls and PF Changs and other assorted middle class banality give it the feel of New Jersey or suburban Philly.

I grew up in Falls Church, VA. Make no mistake people, it's not the "south" as it is commonly known. But then again, suburbs are suburbs regardless of where you are in the country. Northern Virginia (and likewise, suburban Maryland) are really just extensions of D.C.

It's the area that's caught between the South and the North. Pretty ambiguous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.