Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 AM

36 posts, read 103,763 times

Advertisements

Once I was driving through southeastern CT and I got lost and drove a way off on a back road looking for a place to make a U-Turn. I am no stranger to woods and don't get creeped out easily (grew up in CT after all) but there was just such a BAD feeling there... The trees looked all white and I just got so creeped out that I had shivers up and down me. I finally made a U-turn waaaaaay down the road and as soon as I got back on the main road I was fine. Never forgot it, though. I grew up in western CT though and my mom was very Catholic and was always talking about the "bad spirits" in the woods, and although I agree that there were spirits there they never felt bad to me. It did feel very "alive" though, the place seemed to have an entity.

Another time I was on the highway with my college roommate; we were somewhere in the dark stretch between Binghamton and NYC at about 2-3 in the morning, and all of the sudden the radio went out completely, there were lights over our car (roomie swore it must have been a UFO) and our two cats in the back went CRAZY, they woke up from a sound sleep and started yowling and puffing up and freaking the heck out. They never did that before or since. Then a few mins later the lights went out, cats went back to sleep, radio came back on. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyyrah View Post
My mom was very Catholic and was always talking about the "bad spirits" in the woods
Sorry to go off-tangent, but that's the non-sequitur of the century. Catholic doctrine says nothing about "bad spirits in the woods". Are you sure she's not a New Age hippy instead?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
America dont get much more creepy then this...

2656 washington avenue, New Orleans, LA - Google Maps

2656 washington avenue, New Orleans, LA - Google Maps

Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Gettysburg, PA reputed to be among the most haunted places in America.
Meh. As a native Pennsylvanian, I've been there plenty of times and I never got any weird vibes. I think 95% of the ghost stories in that town are mostly bull**** to attract more tourists. God bless em' though. Gettysburg is an awesome town with a very rich history.

My top 5 creepy states in no particular order:

1. Georgia. Particularly Savannah. Place just gives me the heeby jeebies.
2. Pennsylvania. Gettysburg aside, there are plenty of really weird places in that state.
3. South Carolina.
4. Florida. The vastness of some of the swampy areas in north and central Florida are pretty freaky. Especially late at night on a lonely highway under the moonlight.
5. California. I've got to go to bed right now to the sound of coyotes howling in the distance. It's a rather unpleasant and unnerving sound.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
For me Utah tops the list. Strange encounters with locals and some really bad vibes.

My first drive cross-country was summer of 1995, and while driving through Utah on I-80, close to midnight, I was trying to find a room for the night. Not only did I not see any signs for lodging or gas, but it was pitch dark along the highway. One upside is that the sky was magnificent...lit up with thousands of stars.

I finally find a sign for lodging and gas and take the exit. So now I'm off the exit in the middle of nowhere driving several miles more before I finally come across an old gas station. It still had the old numbers on the terminal that flip over rather than the digital ones. To the side of the gas station is what looks like an abondoned truck with about a dozen or so men, women and children hanging around and on it, most shirtless and scraggly looking. Some of the dudes looked just like Charles Manson.

So I go into the gas station to pay for my gas and ask the attendent at the register if there was a motel nearby. He looked nervous and muttered to me "you don't want to stay around...you DON'T want to stay around here". One of the creepers was hanging around the back of the station as he murmered his warning. That was all I needed to know. I went out, pumped my gas with my free hand on my .38 while the Manson clan climbed all over this abondoned truck, eyeing me up and down. I had my family with me and a friend with crow-bar in hand in the moving truck behind me so I was hoping nothing would go down. Seemed like one of those places where it would take the cops and an ambulance about an hour to show if they show.

I finally make it to Salt Lake City and as I was stopping at different hotels to check for vacancy, two sketchy dudes in an old mustang followed me wherever I went. Hotels, gas stations, etc. I decided it was time to get out of Utah and found a room in Nevada after a long night of driving.

The Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Louisiana are next in line for creepy experiences for me. Something about that area gives me bad vibes.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Louisiana are next in line for creepy experiences for me. Something about that area gives me bad vibes.
Well yeah, getting sent home in a box after they turn you into a zombie is not my idea of fun. At least they are respectful and stuff lots of tree moss in there so you don't get jostled around, after UPS ground comes to pick you up.

I think the far corners of the US are somewhat creepy so I will add them to round off my list of five creepy places, so Louisiana does not get jealous. So I add south Florida for many of the same reasons, like the swampy voodoo, but at least in Louisiana you still feel like you're in the US. The Miami area feels like a foreign country, I can't speak the language in my own country........creepy. Same thing with many parts of Arizona and California, minus the swamp, so therefore a tad better but still has the smuggler's blues. Then we move on to Maine, plenty of creep-on there to be had for the whole family. Stephen King always comes to mind.

Then I bet you think I'm going to rip on Seattle, nope, not creepy, just creepy weather but not creep show enough to make my list. It's Alaska that creeps me out, no one mentioned Alaska but I think creepism is alive an well there. Hair trigger tempers brought on by 6 months of darkness, Kodiac mama grizzly bears waiting around every corner to rip your hyde off. Can't go anywhere without a big shotgun to fend them off. Can you say plane crash boys and girls ? Earthquake anyone ? Avalanche ?

Last edited by mofford; 12-14-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
[quote=Coolhand68;22109161]For me Utah tops the list. Strange encounters with locals and some really bad vibes.

an abondoned truck with about a dozen or so men, women and children hanging around and on it, most shirtless and scraggly looking. Some of the dudes looked just like Charles Manson.

/quote]

Charlie Daniels Uneasy Rider - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 AM

61 posts, read 116,158 times
My hometown of Alton, IL is rated as one of the most haunted places in the
U.S.

I lived in a very old home on State St.

Yes, it was haunted.

Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Noticing that no midwest states are being mentioned. I think the midwest might be the LEAST creepy place in the U.S. Being clean-cut and boring has its perks.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Since I am stuck here is AZ, I have been to the Arizona Grand Hotel in Jerome az and old hospital next door. Alittle creepy, but the orginal ghostown just a mile of down the road will get your attention. I must say I do have a couple of questionable photes that will make one look twice.
Goldfield AZis one of the those places I would not hang out. Tourist by day and ghost by night. Even the semi perm. residents do not wonder at night.
Tombstone and Boothill a ghost hunters paridise.
Last but not least is the Old Vulture Mine ,AZ est by Harry Wickenburg. The place is creepy and you have to have extreme care becuase the mine and support buildings are in advanced decay.Comes complete with 125 tradjeic deaths in the Glory Pit when the pit collapes due to hydro mining. Plus the old hanging treee for those who decided to freelance in the mine and meet a end of a rope with about 11 or so miners who were convicted and excuted for thier troubles.
The Old school house and Bardello are rumored to be haunted. and of course we must havea evil player.
During the hayday of mining Gold there was a Doctor who bacsically over charged the sick and injured for medical care. Doc still is around looking for new business.

Phx AZ ,San Carlos Motel was built over a old well a child drowned and many deathes in the hotel over the years, makes thsi a good candidate.

Bisbee AZ anf the Royal Hotel. orginally a hotel for company excuts in the late 1880's. Have not been but the story line is goods!
During my resent trip Gallup NM we almost stayed at the El Rancho Hotel on Rt 66. This Hotel was built for the movie stars from the 1930s up to the 1960's. The lobby seems to be a hotbed of paranormal act.

Of course my home State of Florida ,St. Augustine, San Marcos Castille and the creepy Spaniard Cememtary and Hugenot Massacure. Ghost Adventures has caught activty there.

There is plenty of sites out there, I think I love the history and the funn of catching a ghost on the old digtial cammera,.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Interesting thread. I've not experienced anything 'haunted', but while I lived in Portland,OR., I did run across some creepy or unnerving places. Not in Portland or the cities themselves, but in the far, out of the way forests in mountains. Lots of really isolated settlements way up in the Cascades in thick, dark forests shrouded with fog and draped with moss. I do a lot of backpacking that takes me to some remote areas all over the west. In the wilderness I feel in my element and comfortable. In isolated, unfamiliar settlements or homestead type areas with unknown people, I do not.

One in particular I remember well. My wife and I were looking for a specific breed of cat. We got lucky one day and saw a local classified ad for this breed. So we called and got directions. She lived a couple hours north of Portland, between Mt Saint Helens and Mt Rainier. So we headed out. We didnt have gps back then. So anyway, we find our turnoff from the highway, and follow this little two lane road east into the foothills. It just meandered and wound around the hills through isolated vales and farm areas. It was a drizzly, foggy day. The road just kept winding and eventually turned to dirt and entered really thick woods. We'd pass an occassional cabin with beat up trucks in front. Not nice modern cabins but almost like settler shanties. At one point there were a crisscrossing of dirt roads that caused us to get lost. No cell signal, and I got worried. After backtracking and out of sheer luck we found the proper dirt road again. It started winding up pretty high into the hills. I was wondering what in the world I got us into. Finally, after what seemed to be a lost cause, there was this cabin that matched the description she gave us. It was beat up, the roof just drowning in moss, and walled in by towering pines. We felt completely isolated and out of our element. Felt like uneasy like it was a trap, don't know why. I half expected to see bigfoot walk out and greet us.

Anyway, I told my wife to stay in the car while I went inside to check it out. A little old lady answered. Her place was an absolute mess inside. And there was at least two dozen cats running around inside. I got my wife and we checked out the kitten. The home had electricity which surprised me. No tv I could see. No vehicle. I asked about her living out there and she said she had been there decades, part some old logging settlement. Her husband died and she lived alone with her cats. Apparenlty there were a handful of old cabins scattered in those woods with a few residents sticking around, and they all checked in on each other. She was mentally not all there, wearing clothes from the 60's, and she was disheveled and unkept. I kinda felt bad for her. Must have been mighty lonely way up there. In the end we passed on the kitten.

So away we went, back down from this hilltop, winding back down through a dark tunnel of tall pines in the fog. Nothing peculiar happened, but both just couldn't shake this feeling that we had almost wondered into a 'the hills have eyes' situation. When I watch 'The Ring' it reminds me of that little trip we took for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.