Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:37 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I never understood how people don't know where there ancestors come from. How does this happen. Wouldn't each generation pass this information on? How does it get lost?
Slavery (oftentimes can only pinpoint to west and west central Africa), adoption, passing for another race and/or ethnicity, don't care etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,484 times
I'm a Heinz 57 of most of the caucasian races, and a tiny bit of American Indian thrown in. I call myself an American.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I noticed this years ago in fill-out forms with no multiple choice answers. Most people would answer that they are, for instance, German and Irish. Southerners rarely had an answer like that. Some would write hillbilly, some American, and many left that answer blank. I got the impression that southerners don't know their ancestry.
This is somewhat true. Most southerners are the decendants of Scots Irish that came here in the 1700's. Most of them were illiterate and didn't leave behind any sort or written family history. After this much time passes without any documentation about the old country, the countries of origin can be forgotten. Most southern families are able to go back 100 or 150 years or so in their geneology but few know anything of their origins.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Slavery (oftentimes can only pinpoint to west and west central Africa), adoption, passing for another race and/or ethnicity, don't care etc...
The slave traders were from Western Africa (yes, black Africans were apart of the slave trade), but the slaves came from all over-mostly central, though. I think that America has been around long enough for people to start claiming it as their ancestry. When people ask what I am, I simply say American-unless I am being cheeky, in which case I will say Californian. It's kind of odd; If I traveled to any other country, I would be identified as an American-but in America everyone wants to identify themselves with where ever their roots are from before they came to America.

I know where my ethnic blood comes from-but I was born here, my parents were born here, grandparents-not too sure.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:33 PM

279 posts, read 782,448 times
ill just put a word in as a southerner whos family has been here at least 3 generations (not america, i mean the middle TN area).

ive looked, and ive found nothing on how you can find your ancestry, so id imagine its a "we dont care" thing, so i end up calling myself american.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,065 times
Patriotism...something other parts of the country lack

Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Let's see...I have German, English, Scot, Irish, Welsh, and French Huegenot blood in me. What the heck else would I choose? For most of us, our ancestors migrated centuries ago, so choosing a Mother Country seems to be a pointless exercise, don't you think?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I noticed this years ago in fill-out forms with no multiple choice answers. Most people would answer that they are, for instance, German and Irish. Southerners rarely had an answer like that. Some would write hillbilly, some American, and many left that answer blank. I got the impression that southerners don't know their ancestry.
Interesting that you mention German and Irish. Based on the 1990 census, those were the two largest, ethnic groups in the U.S.

#1 was German, #2 was Irish. Starting in 2000, the choices were no longer there. I guess someone decided we no longer needed to know.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,512 times
This melting pot has been stirred and stirred...and I'm getting dizzy.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Why? Because 9-11 NEVER FORGET GO COWBOYS THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN. That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.