Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Sorry, but if your not NYC, DC, LA or Chicago, you all are equal. Sorry, that's just how it is. All other cities don't have too much of an impact on america be it political, economic, or entertainment.

Everything else is just another city.
including the bay area and boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Exactly. Thank you. What people need to realize is that proper populations are what most people know about, and what most people care about.
All I know is that now a lot of places that were considered small towns as recently as 10 years ago are now called "suburbs" of Mpls/St Paul in the media, places such as Rogers, Hudson, WI, Elko, and Forest Lake. Sprawl has reached those towns and lots of those who moved into them are from closer in suburbs, so I guess they still consider themselves suburbanites and Twin Citians, even though those who've lived there longer wouldn't do so.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
In every industry that evaluates "cities" they are markets which are often either the census defined metropolitan areas or consolidated metro areas, or an expanded version of them. But never the city by itself, because it would not make sense.

Great point. Here's a perfect example by using sports. Boston's city population is 700,000 less than San Antonio's city population. Boston's city population is not even in the top 10 largest cities in the US. But Boston has the Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins. San Antonio only has the Spurs and is trying to get an NFL team but knows they have no shot of getting an NFL team because the "market" is too small. Boston market(not the food place) has millions more living in the market or metro area than San Antonio thus why they have more teams than San Antonio. There are other examples. But it shows how irrelevant city population numbers really become.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Atlanta is a major hub city. That's why it receives a lot of importance. The area is very appealing too. Red dirt, lots of hills, mountains, long summers, pines, ferns. Its just beautiful area. Georgia is like a southern Ohio. Though it has the biggest city, bigger mountains, sunnier and warmer weather, and it touches an ocean. But they're similar in the landlocked natural beauty and uniqueness.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
If you think about it for a second the city population actually doesnt mean that much. You cant even really compare city populations because of places like Louisville who just absorb the whole county and double the population. And then there are places like Houston who take up like 600 sq miles which isnt fair to the cities that have smaller land areas. If Cleveland absorbed the rest of Cuyahoga county it would have a population of 1.4 million making it the 7th largest city in America and it would still take up a lot less land area than Houston.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I actually think MPLS is already on ATLs level, even if its more expensive. MPLS is home to several large corporations and offers a good quality of life.
I've lived in both, and they compare favorably in some respects, but MSP has a much better layout in terms of automobile and bike transportation while ATL has a much nicer climate and a lot more "history". Both have large sprawling suburbs surrounding the center core cities, and both have a lot of trees. Oh, yeah, and both are hubs for major airlines, making for a better selection of direct flights (even though folks living in both like to grumble about their home airlines from time to time). :-)

Old 08-26-2007, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 58,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
The problem with Atlanta is that in the 1960s, the city negotiated with Fulton and DeKalb Counties not to annex any more land, thus the city limits have remained constricted. If we were to include all areas that have "Atlanta" mailing addresses and should be part of the city proper (i.e. unincorporated portions of Fulton, DeKalb, and Cobb Counties), than the city's population would double. Atlanta's CBD serves not only the city itself, but the surrounding metro as well, thus the reason why Atlanta's CBD is so much larger and prominent than city propers of comparable size such as Austin and Louisville.
I've heard that before, What a dumb move. Why did they do that? Is it going to be lifted anytime soon? Maybe it can ease our sprawl a bit...I would love for City Of Atlanta to annex more land.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Do we really want another Atlanta? I don't like Atlanta much at all. And I'm a Southerner.

My father has a joke about the big cities of the Northeast. He lists New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 PM

29 posts, read 129,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Atlanta is the perfect example of why building an interstate loop around the outside of the city (I-285) isn't always a good idea...
Raleigh is doing it now (incomplete). It also has an inner loop also. Raleigh and the surrounding areas will NO DOUBT be like Atlanta in the near future. That is why I'm getting the hell out. Traffic and sprawl is bad enough now.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 AM

34 posts, read 130,780 times
How much did the Olympics stimulate growth in Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.