Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws View Post
My ex-husband's sister and her family live on Maui, their three kids went through the school system from kindergarden onwards. I've been to all the islands a number of times and found it very friendly. However, I understand there is quite an ethnic/class divide and bad feelings between the "haoles" (non Hawaii native) and the indigenous Hawaiians.
Wikipedia on haoles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haole
Well now, I be in that haole "class", a second generation Dane, and I love my local kine braddahs, sistahs even.

http://honu4.blogspot.com/2005/06/da-braddahs.html (broken link)
http://www.extreme-hawaii.com/pidgin/vocab/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,488 times
Talking you from where!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Tarheel, we get the same thing within our own state!
I live and work in the desert but we always get people from Los Angeles or Orange County (and I too grew up in OC and went to college and worked in LA) who try to "push their weight around" by dropping comments like "well, in LA we did it this way", etc. Well, if it was so flippin' great in LA and you can't hack it in the desert - why in the hell did you leave there to come to our little po-dunk town?
Them Calaphonies did it to Portland and the ones what started it all complain that it is not the nice Portland that they moved to.
I live Aloha now and it is mo better, eh.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 PM

43 posts, read 238,938 times
Default New Yorkers

They ARE rude. I think it has to do with the way they have to live in NY. (crowded). They come to Florida and complain and are loud and pushy and don't know how to drive. Sorry but I'm livin' it. I've had a few run their shopping carts into my back because they are so impatient and they like to honk their car horns if you don't move fast enough. They will also push their way in front of you if you're waiting in line and not paying attention. I'm sorry but that IS rude. Maybe they're nicer when they're in NY because that's what they're used to? Or they move down here and then are not happy here? I'm not saying its all NY people but you sure can pick them out down here. Maybe they don't even know they're being rude????

Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,151 times
Perhaps they are rude because it is crowded in South Florida.

Most of New York is rural (not crowded). They're not going to move from peace and quiet to the crowded drug den of South Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of South Florida View Post
They ARE rude. I think it has to do with the way they have to live in NY. (crowded). They come to Florida and complain and are loud and pushy and don't know how to drive. Sorry but I'm livin' it. I've had a few run their shopping carts into my back because they are so impatient and they like to honk their car horns if you don't move fast enough. They will also push their way in front of you if you're waiting in line and not paying attention. I'm sorry but that IS rude. Maybe they're nicer when they're in NY because that's what they're used to? Or they move down here and then are not happy here? I'm not saying its all NY people but you sure can pick them out down here. Maybe they don't even know they're being rude????

Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM

Obviously, I'm talking about the ones that came from NY City.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM

And how do you know that they're from NYC?

Even if true, that doesn't explain why they are "rude". Again, it's not because of where they're from. It's because of where they are; stuck in South Florida traffic.

Quote:
Obviously, I'm talking about the ones that came from NY City.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Default yes, traffic is terrible down here

But, I don't get rude and blast my horn at you or butt my way in front of you and block 3 lanes at once. I don't ram my shopping cart into your back because I might have to wait in line 5 minutes more. Excuse me, please and thankyou would be nice to hear also once in awhile. I know where they are from because I used to work in the area where they are coming from. But the traffic is bad down here and that's one of the reasons for my "name" (sick of South Florida). If they don't like it down here why do they stay? I'm not trying to be mean either, just stating the facts. I did meet one SWEET elderly lady from NYC though and she made me laugh. She must have been a little senile though. She kept asking me what building I lived in and I told her a couple times I don't, I live in a house. She looked at me like she was amazed!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Why are you still there? Your advice for anyone who doesn't like it is to move. So when are you moving?

Quote:
But, I don't get rude and blast my horn at you or butt my way in front of you and block 3 lanes at once. I don't ram my shopping cart into your back because I might have to wait in line 5 minutes more. Excuse me, please and thankyou would be nice to hear also once in awhile. I know where they are from because I used to work in the area where they are coming from. But the traffic is bad down here and that's one of the reasons for my "name" (sick of South Florida). If they don't like it down here why do they stay? I'm not trying to be mean either, just stating the facts. I did meet one SWEET elderly lady from NYC though and she made me laugh. She must have been a little senile though. She kept asking me what building I lived in and I told her a couple times I don't, I live in a house. She looked at me like she was amazed!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,477 times
If you are looking for nice people, by god stay away from Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:11 PM

Default We will be moving in 2008!!!!!!!!!

I'm already going through all our stuff and renovating the house!! When you think about it, 2006 is almost gone! We would have moved sooner, but you just can't leave a job until retirement age or you loose what you put into it all those years, ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.