Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you identify more with, your city or your state?
City 56 70.89%
State 23 29.11%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,229 times

Advertisements

Great thread idea. The NYC metro area is very unique in this regard since the city and state have the same name but don't identify with each other. These are my observations:

People from Manhattan tend to identify with their neighborhoods, unless they're outside of Manhattan, at which point they'll identify with New York City and not Manhattan.

People in the outer boroughs will also identify with their neighborhoods, but unlike in Manhattan, they identify with their boroughs and not NYC when outside of the boroughs, no matter where they are in the entire country.

It seems like people in NJ or LI seem to identify with these places when outside of NJ or LI instead of individual cities, but if they're in NJ or LI, then they'll identify with a specific city.

In Westchester County, people identify with their individual cities inside and outside of the county.

People from CT tend to identify more with that particular state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quite a number of U.S. cities have become much larger in population than they used to be. Since most Americans now live in metropolitan areas, they have come to identify more with cities than states.

Plus, most major U.S. cities have much higher GDPs than they used to. If you travel abroad, then you need to have money. You are more likely to have money if you live in a major metropolitan area than if you don't .

Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Definitely city in Kentucky. If I wasnt living in either Louisville or near Ft. Knox I wouldn't have even given Kentucky a second thought, period.

Now my previous state of Virginia. Definitely state. I hated the last city I lived in during my final years there (Alexandria.)

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,099,912 times
My city. St. Louis is very distinct from the rest of Missouri. That said, the 4 or 5 cultural state thing...most states are divided like that, at least ones in the lower Midwest. The Great Plains states, MO, IL, IN, and OH all have very sharp contrasts within the boundaries of their states. I'm not sure actually if I can think of one state where the culture is all the same unless that state happens to be tiny. In general, I've hard a hard time really finding major cities that represent all of their states, as the difference in urban and rural culture is always big.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
The city without a doubt. Nobody I know in NYC identifies with NY state. For all practical purposes NYC and, its suburbs ARE a different state than the rest of New York.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
City

Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,799 times
Definitely city.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,220,219 times
State

I live in Georgia, in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and it's always a quick drive up to the mountains. I feel connected to all parts of my state, as well as the south, in general. I definitely identify with the Atlanta region, but feel very little connection to transplants that share nothing in common with me. Georgians and other southern natives throughout metro Atlanta are identifiable to me, meaning that I feel a connection to them.

Since I travel a lot, the state takes on more meaning for me than does the metro area I live in. I enjoy all areas, rural, suburban, and even urban. Hence, I suppose that I identify with all of my state. A lot of "urbanists" or "country-haters" despise the rural areas of their state so much, they choose to not identify with it, and to instead only identify with their metro region.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 PM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Great thread idea. The NYC metro area is very unique in this regard since the city and state have the same name but don't identify with each other. These are my observations:

People from Manhattan tend to identify with their neighborhoods, unless they're outside of Manhattan, at which point they'll identify with New York City and not Manhattan.

People in the outer boroughs will also identify with their neighborhoods, but unlike in Manhattan, they identify with their boroughs and not NYC when outside of the boroughs, no matter where they are in the entire country.
I disagree about the NYC boroughs. People that live in the boroughs identify with NYC in general (and not in particularly with their borough unless asked to specify in what part of the city they live).

Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 17,156 times
i think the only states that are NOT identified by their states as much but their cities/city is New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Louisiana, Illinois, Missouri, Maryland and Kentucky
try traveling and telling people that you are from any of those states and they will assume that you are from nyc, philly, pittsburgh, atl, nola, chi, st. louis, dc, baltimore, or louiville...it could get offensive for those who live in smaller cities in those particular states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.