Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you identify more with, your city or your state?
City 56 70.89%
State 23 29.11%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
Interesting observations. One thing I am very curious about is how upstate New Yorkers identify themselves. If they say "I am a New Yorker" while it is true (as in state) many will assume they are a resident of New York City. Does the term "New Yorker" apply to upstaters in the eyes of NYC residents? Do people living in larger cities upstate identify with their cities such as Buffalo which has some identity to distinguish themselves from NYC? I imagine when most people in the rural south or midwest see a New York license plate or driver's license they automatically assume "big city person" when they might be just as rural as they are.
The term "New Yorker" does not apply to Upstate residents when used in the context of a Downstate resident. When used nationally, "New Yorker" generally refers to people in the New York side of the New York metro area, city and suburbs.

Upstate New Yorkers generally tend to refer to themselves as being from New York State outside of the state and Upstate inside of the state. If they live in a larger city like Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc then they'll identify more with that city both in and out of the state. They also use the term "Downstate New Yorkers" to distinguish between southeast New York and the rest of the state; thus the term "New Yorker" is not used at all Upstate. The terms Upstate and Downstate are not really used outside of New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Within the NEw England i identify with my City/Town, outside New England I identify with my state, outside the country but inside the Continent its the state, ouside our continent its country.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecimen View Post
i think the only states that are NOT identified by their states as much but their cities/city is New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Louisiana, Illinois, Missouri, Maryland and Kentucky
try traveling and telling people that you are from any of those states and they will assume that you are from nyc, philly, pittsburgh, atl, nola, chi, st. louis, dc, baltimore, or louiville...it could get offensive for those who live in smaller cities in those particular states
Disagree. I live in Louisville and during a visit back to Virginia a couple of weeks ago, I said to an old friend that I was living in LOUISVILLE, he comes up with where is that? I say Kentucky.

Kentucky definitely does not fit in that classification. Half of the US could not pick out Louisville on a map.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecimen View Post
i think the only states that are NOT identified by their states as much but their cities/city is New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Louisiana, Illinois, Missouri, Maryland and Kentucky
try traveling and telling people that you are from any of those states and they will assume that you are from nyc, philly, pittsburgh, atl, nola, chi, st. louis, dc, baltimore, or louiville...it could get offensive for those who live in smaller cities in those particular states
I feel like you picked some weird states and missed some obvious ones. I wouldn't have chosen Missouri or Kentucky or Louisiana as examples, but I would have picked states like Michigan, Washington, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Arizona etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM

275 posts, read 836,250 times
i think in the case of chicago, many chicagoans relate more to WI or IN than the rest of IL.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
I'm originally from California and still identify strongly with that state, even though I haven't lived there in 20 years. Because of that, my post-California affiliations have focused on cities: I live in the Milwaukee metro now, and that's usually where I say I'm from (though I still invoke California from time to time) or where I live.

Sometimes when talking to foreigners, Milwaukee and Wisconsin have no resonance, so I just say that I live near Chicago.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I feel like you picked some weird states and missed some obvious ones. I wouldn't have chosen Missouri or Kentucky or Louisiana as examples, but I would have picked states like Michigan, Washington, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Arizona etc.
Missouri is definitely a good choice...so is it's neighbor, Illinois. Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago really are not like their states at all...the urban culture and rural culture contrast sharply.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Missouri is definitely a good choice...so is it's neighbor, Illinois. Kansas City, St. Louis, and Chicago really are not like their states at all...the urban culture and rural culture contrast sharply.
Same with New York. Downstate (NYC sphere) is drastically different from upstate.

Upstate New York has Appalachian cultures, Midwestern Cultures, and even New England cultures, and it's vastly rural.

NYC sadly shadows it to an insane degree.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
In both cases, I identify more with my city than my state but it's much more pronounced for me in Miami Beach than it is in Raleigh. I hardly identify with Florida at all since much of it is so different from where I live in Miami Beach. In Raleigh, the distinction is more subtle...though I do identify with Raleigh more than much of the state.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
I identify more with the city of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.