Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It might be on par with Atlanta and Philly. But not Dallas. This is where Dallas has an advantage.

Not sure it would even on par with Philly or Atlanta which are both nearly identically ranked and ranked closer to Dallas then they are Houston

Dallas ranked 6th (FW was ranked 42nd so combined pack a punch)
Philly ranked 11th
Atlanta ranked 12th
Houston ranked 21st

Interestingly Austin ranks at 20th

http://www.milkeninstitute.org/pdf/N...mmry_Final.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually Dallas is pretty far ahead based on the rankings. Not all jobs are equal. Dallas is ranked 4 or 5 and Philly ranked 10 or 11 if you read the actual analysis. Houston I think was around 21 or something. Jobs are good; just some are better and some areas have a more prominent tech sector; Houston is getting better but not yet a top tech city
Well I was speaking in terms of number of people in the field. The gap isn't that huge.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,478 times
i suppose if the article and OP substituted Houston for another city, like Boston or Philly or Seattle, the temperment of some of the posters in the thread would be alot calmer....

Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
i suppose if the article and OP substituted Houston for another city, like Boston or Philly or Seattle, the temperment of some of the posters in the thread would be alot calmer....

Not IMHO. That stat was rubbish regardless of what city after seeing the methodology

Philly ranked third but not sure you can make anything from that. I do know for certain that the number of tech jobs in Philly grew no where 60 some percent as the release reported

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Not IMHO. That stat was rubbish regardless of what city after seeing the methodology

Philly ranked third but not sure you can make anything from that. I do know for certain that the number of tech jobs in Philly grew no where 60 some percent as the release reported
is rubbish regarding Philly as well? or rubbish because it shed favorable light on Houston?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
is rubbish regarding Philly as well? or rubbish because it shed favorable light on Houston?
rubbish in total. The growth rate is number of listings on the particular job site. Not sure anything can be gleaned for anyplace based on what the data was. It was rubbish in total for all places

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
rubbish in total. The growth rate is number of listings on the particular job site. Not sure anything can be gleaned for anyplace based on what the data was. It was rubbish in total for all places
Frankly, I don't think so, regardless of the city. In times where the lack of jobs is high, news like this is refreshing....

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Frankly, I don't think so, regardless of the city. In times where the lack of jobs is high, news like this is refreshing....
It's just such an unreliable source with very unscientific methods of achieving their results. I have nothing against Houston, I just think the study is a bunch of bologna.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Are you actually asking whether the thread starter captioned his own thread?
can't you read??

Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I suppose the biggest problem is the wording. Using "crushes" and "stomps" instantly puts people on the defensive. This is especially true when it's a city which doesn't really have a significant influence on the industry.

If someone posted a the same article only it said "Omaha crushes Houston, San Francisco, and New York City in unemployment", people are going to probably react similarly to the way people did on this thread. People are going to raise the point that it's not as impressive because Omaha isn't on the same level of those other three cities economically...so the fact that it has lower unemployment isn't as impressive.

However I will admit it's certainly impressive to grow by so much.

One question I have is how accurate are these %'s?

The OP says Houston's high tech employment grew by 149%, right? And then this post said Houston had 151,700 high tech employees in 2007. However this post says Houston added 87,900 jobs in total last year. Wouldn't the 149% job growth mean that they added 226,033 high tech jobs?

Is my math messed up? Or am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.