Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM

74 posts, read 275,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
True, Manchester, NH kinda sucks too. It's just an old industrial mill city and a pretty mediocre one at that and not a desirable place for education. Perhaps a suburb on the outskirts of Manchester or somewhere like Concord would be nicer, Manchester does have a nice airport though. North Adams is also pretty isolated, it's a poor little city with dumpy housing not anywhere near an airport and quite a ways from the nearest city with 50K + population. North Adams is pretty redneck for Massachusetts.

Well Nassau County is on the edge of NYC on Long Island so I don't think its meeting the criteria of small/medium city considering it's on the edge of the largest and most crowded city in the country, it's expensive and no mountains nearby, I'd say fail on this one.
Just because it's near NYC doesn't mean there aren't small towns. Most of them have a population of under 50,000. My hometown in Nassau has a population of 25000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flborn_halfback View Post
What cities/towns would you guys say top the list for the Northeast given the following parameters...

1. Mountain town- and I don't mean it's a little craggy on the west side of town, full blown mountains in or near metro or the entire surrounding area is craggy.

2. Population- small to mid size city, let's say 50k-150k metro and let's include county to pick up some of the smaller towns

3. Low crime rates- particularly violent and sex crimes

4. Education- strong k-12, both public and private options, as well as options for higher education

5. Reasonable cost of living- home and land prices, healthcare, taxes, etc

6. Employment- stable, if not growing

7. Environment- clean, low pollution

8. Family oriented- places to go, things to do

9. Travel- airport within 30-45 min drive
Yes, the Lebanon/Hanover/White River Junciton, NH/VT area might work, although it has a smaller population than what you are looking for. Healthcare amenities are great with Dartmouth/Hitchcock hospital, educational funding is excellent, great outdoors culture and environment, Dartmouth, a bit over an hour to Manchester regional airport for national travel, and a slow steadily growing economy. The cost of living is higher than the national average, but housing prices have come down quite a bit in some of the smaller outlying towns. Expect high property taxes in most parts of the Northeast, unless you live in rural Maine. Most of the population in Maine lives in the coastal I-95 corridor and the mountainous western part of the state has a very low population density with a few small towns.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM

60 posts, read 104,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, the Lebanon/Hanover/White River Junciton, NH/VT area might work, although it has a smaller population than what you are looking for. Healthcare amenities are great with Dartmouth/Hitchcock hospital, educational funding is excellent, great outdoors culture and environment, Dartmouth, a bit over an hour to Manchester regional airport for national travel, and a slow steadily growing economy. The cost of living is higher than the national average, but housing prices have come down quite a bit in some of the smaller outlying towns. Expect high property taxes in most parts of the Northeast, unless you live in rural Maine. Most of the population in Maine lives in the coastal I-95 corridor and the mountainous western part of the state has a very low population density with a few small towns.
Does this cost of living comparison look accurate?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I used Pittsfield Mass as the other city because it is the closest I have found to the US average in that particular region.

Speaking of Pittsfield, I'm curious what you guys think about it?

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:

I used Pittsfield Mass as the other city because it is the closest I have found to the US average in that particular region.

That seems right. Lebanon, NH itself has very high property taxes. Real estate costs in Pittsfield are likely much lower due to less demand. Pittsfield is what many would call in older manufacturing town that has seen decline, but has also rebounded slightly. Job growth there would be quite a bit less than the Lebanon/Hanover region.

If you want a lower cost area in NH that has good access to healthcare, good education, and a close proximity to jobs within 30 minutes to the south I would look at southern Carroll county that includes the towns of: Wakefield, Brookfield, Ossipee, and Wolfeboro. The cost of living in these places is a bit closer to the national average with property taxes being 1/2 as much as the Lebanon area. Good access to towns like Rochester, Dover, and Portsmouth (with a greater job selection) is very nice. The accessibility of the mountains in Carroll county is excellent. Google the Moose Mountains reservation in Brookfield/Middleton, the Mt. Shaw Ossipee Mountains/Castle in the Clouds in Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Green Mountain in Effingham, and the WMNF by Conway.

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:

Pittsfield is OK. It has somewhat of a gritty and industrial feel but it's one of those place that may have "potential". It's in a good area, the Berkshires are beautiful and Albany airport is less than an hour from there.

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Actually, Ithaca NY(city and town combined is around 50,000), would fit all of the criteria if you get technical in terms of what elevation is the minimum for a mountain. Hills can get in the 1000-2000 ft. range, give or take.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM

60 posts, read 104,120 times
Default Ithaca

I have actually heard and read a lot of good things about Ithaca. I have spent time in Buffalo and Toronto in the summer, but never traveled out toward the east. How are the winters...really?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
I have actually heard and read a lot of good things about Ithaca. I have spent time in Buffalo and Toronto in the summer, but never traveled out toward the east. How are the winters...really?
I went there for a short visit. It's very beautiful, with an impressive collection of so many waterfalls in a concentrated area. Great area in summer, lots of swimming holes and beautiful lakes. Cornell is very academic and high ranking so education is fulfilled. Ithaca is out in a rural setting but I remember Syracuse being fairly closeby.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I went there for a short visit. It's very beautiful, with an impressive collection of so many waterfalls in a concentrated area. Great area in summer, lots of swimming holes and beautiful lakes. Cornell is very academic and high ranking so education is fulfilled. Ithaca is out in a rural setting but I remember Syracuse being fairly closeby.
Correct, as Syracuse is only an hour away. Smaller metros like Binghamton and Elmira are about 30-40 minutes away. Plenty of buses to NYC from there.

Winters can be tough, but can vary too. For the most part, we've had a mild winter this season.

Here's some information: Official Website of Ithaca, NY

Visit Ithaca

Town of Ithaca

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ithaca (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Test Scores for Ithaca City School District | GreatSchools

Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

Winter In Ithaca - YouTube

Take the Cornell campus tour - YouTube

Ithaca Farmers Market - May - YouTube

Ithaca College Walk - YouTube

Ithaca NY, Finger Lakes Wine Region - YouTube

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

45 posts, read 75,288 times
Hartford
Portland
Stamford
Bulrington
Portsmouth
Worcester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.