Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
Nope, just another taxpayer who's getting sick of freeloaders being subsidized by the productive class. Last I checked, there are no free lunches. Why should people who are too lazy to work receive handouts at the expense of hard-working, successful people? Sorry, but liberals will always be on the losing side of this argument.
I see, yet another worshiper of money as the ultimate *tool of justice.*
Look closer at that greenback you worship - what does it say if not "in god we trust?" And speaking of god, may I remind you that "You will always have the poor among you," was a phrase repeated in the bible numerous times - a fact that *non-liberals* should be aware of.
*Atheist* Europeans figured out a thing or two when it's coming to poor, while the nation that refers to god on its money didn't quite get it, apparently.
Oh well, as someone has already mentioned here -

"Boneheaded neoliberals deserve the rapid decline that the societies they dominate will suffer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
Quote:
The government doesn't owe anyone a living. This is America. You make your own breaks here. If you can't make it here, you have only yourself to blame. Providing welfare to the lazy, stupid, and weak is interfering with nature. They should be forced into work camps to pay off their debts to society. It's only fair. Our government can no longer afford to subsidize the leeches in this country. Something has to give. The longer we wait, the harsher the inevitable correction will be.
This guy sounds more like a ... well you know. Work camps eh? I'm afraid to ask what else you think we should do to the weak. But hey, its ok to bail out banks and Wall Street as well as other corporations. How much did that illegal war cost us huh? 860 billion, but I don't hear ya moaning over that huge waste of money and lives lost. While I understand your anger at those that use the system and have for generations, there are people that are trying to better themselves and do want off the rolls. What are you doing "to teach someone to fish"? I know the answer to that one...nothing at all. You just sit and whine that all these poor people are ruining this country, well bub, you are looking in the wrong direction. The rich are getting richer, the middle class is desolving and in case you've had your head buried in the sand these last few years, many educated people that once had good jobs have found themselves homeless and out of work. What would you say to a man like that? Oh its his fault he got layed off by a greedy corporation where the CEO is still getting healthy bonuses each year. He has only himself to blame because he was layed off from a good paying job in a bad economy? Yeah right, lets put him in with the folks you want to send to the work camp.

I believe people should work that can work, but where are the jobs? At the same time, its not right to label every one on some form of assistance as lazy, weak or stupid. That's simply not true.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 AM

75 posts, read 55,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I see, yet another worshiper of money as the ultimate *tool of justice.*
Look closer at that greenback you worship - what does it say if not "in god we trust?" And speaking of god, may I remind you that "You will always have the poor among you," was a phrase repeated in the bible numerous times - a fact that *non-liberals* should be aware of.
*Atheist* Europeans figured out a thing or two when it's coming to poor, while the nation that refers to god on its money didn't quite get it, apparently.
Oh well, as someone has already mentioned here -

"Boneheaded neoliberals deserve the rapid decline that the societies they dominate will suffer."
I don't worship money. I believe in fairness. Parasites receiving handouts that they didn't work for isn't fair to hard-working taxpayers whose earnings were partially redistributed. It's time to make welfare trash earn their own keep in this world.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This guy sounds more like a ... well you know. Work camps eh? I'm afraid to ask what else you think we should do to the weak. But hey, its ok to bail out banks and Wall Street as well as other corporations. How much did that illegal war cost us huh? 860 billion, but I don't hear ya moaning over that huge waste of money and lives lost. While I understand your anger at those that use the system and have for generations, there are people that are trying to better themselves and do want off the rolls. What are you doing "to teach someone to fish"? I know the answer to that one...nothing at all. You just sit and whine that all these poor people are ruining this country, well bub, you are looking in the wrong direction. The rich are getting richer, the middle class is desolving and in case you've had your head buried in the sand these last few years, many educated people that once had good jobs have found themselves homeless and out of work. What would you say to a man like that? Oh its his fault he got layed off by a greedy corporation where the CEO is still getting healthy bonuses each year. He has only himself to blame because he was layed off from a good paying job in a bad economy? Yeah right, lets put him in with the folks you want to send to the work camp.

I believe people should work that can work, but where are the jobs? At the same time, its not right to label every one on some form of assistance as lazy, weak or stupid. That's simply not true.
High-paying jobs are there for those who want them. Are they always glamorous jobs? No, but they pay the bills. Problem is, a lot of people feel entitled to comfy office jobs after they receive their run-of-the-mill college degrees. They don't want to get their hands dirty, nor do they want to accept a job that they feel is "beneath" them. Last I checked, there is a labor shortage in the trucking industry. There are also lucrative oil rig jobs in North Dakota, and there's always the military. Those who are unemployed have no excuses. I bet the unemployed Americans who turn up their noses at these trucking jobs will be the same people who one day complain about Mexicans (once again) doing the work that Americans are too lazy to do.

Again, it's much easier to make excuses than to take proactive measures to improve one's life. It's not the system's fault that so many Americans don't want to work. They just don't have the same work ethic that their ancestors did. They've become too soft, weak, pampered, and entitled.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Quote:
I don't worship money. I believe in fairness. Parasites receiving handouts that they didn't work for isn't fair to hard-working taxpayers whose earnings were partially redistributed. It's time to make welfare trash earn their own keep in this world.
Obviously you don't believe in fairness:

"It's no secret that attractive people have more opportunities than their less-attractive counterparts. This applies to both men and women. Attractive people are treated better, have an easier time attracting the opposite sex, have better social lives, are more likely to be hired for jobs, and generally feel better about themselves. Let's face it: Nobody wants to associate themselves with ugly people. That's human nature. Thus, as long as an attractive person has a healthy attitude, he or she will have an easier time in life. This may not seem "fair" to some people, but nobody said life is supposed to be fair."

//www.city-data.com/forum/23045182-post54.html

Now scuttle off back to the political forums where you can be among your sociopath friends and can preach (or troll) to the choir. Thankfully, people like you aren't as common in other countries.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,374 times
Workcamps for leeches in society sounds faintly familiar: Redirect Notice

If you want to "teach them to fish" instead of NAZI work camps, why not address the problem of colleges charging thousands upon thousands of dollars to attend. Lets face it, without a college degree, decent paying jobs in the US are nearly impossible to come by. Some apprenticeship positions are available, yet not everybody is cut out for that kind of work, and with the economy being the way it is, many baby boomers in the manufacturing line of work just aren't retiring leaving a job shortage with the main jobs available being working at mickey dees making $7.25 an hour with no benefits, being extremely lucky if you get anywhere above 30 hours a week. Now for the military, if you have any sort of disability be it mental or physical, they wont let you join (I had a friend commit suicide for that reason, different story for a different day though.) So it is not like there are "endless opportunities. I believe that a good place to start would be to better Americas infrastructure in massive work projects like in the Roosevelt administration, thus providing the poor with jobs and decent living, and giving the nation what we need to move into the future.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Obviously you don't believe in fairness:

"It's no secret that attractive people have more opportunities than their less-attractive counterparts. This applies to both men and women. Attractive people are treated better, have an easier time attracting the opposite sex, have better social lives, are more likely to be hired for jobs, and generally feel better about themselves. Let's face it: Nobody wants to associate themselves with ugly people. That's human nature. Thus, as long as an attractive person has a healthy attitude, he or she will have an easier time in life. This may not seem "fair" to some people, but nobody said life is supposed to be fair."

//www.city-data.com/forum/23045182-post54.html

Now scuttle off back to the political forums where you can be among your sociopath friends and can preach (or troll) to the choir. Thankfully, people like you aren't as common in other countries.
In my post about attractiveness, I was merely pointing out that life isn't always fair. I didn't state my own opinion one way or the other; I only stated the universal truth that attractive people have greater opportunities in every aspect of life. This is true across political and cultural lines. Fair or not, that's the way the world is. That's the way we're hardwired. It's human nature to favor more attractive people. No sense whining about something that can't be changed. While unattractive people are inherently disadvantaged, this initial obstacle can be overcome. They just have to work harder to get what they want, be it romance or promotions at work.

Tax policy, on the other hand, isn't immutable; it can be changed. With the right politicians, a fairer system can be implemented. As more and more Americans grow tired of freeloading scum (like the OWS losers who feel they deserve handouts), there's a better chance of more sensible politicians being elected. But even if Americans continue to elect welfare-enabling politicians, the gravy train won't last forever because the system is already so strained. Eventually, the entire entitlement system will come crashing down like it did in Greece. At that time, Americans will be forced to make sacrifices (e.g., accept austerity measures and/or pay higher taxes) in order to save the Republic. One way or another, the current system won't last. It is unsustainable. The welfare leeches are on borrowed time.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Workcamps for leeches in society sounds faintly familiar: Redirect Notice

If you want to "teach them to fish" instead of NAZI work camps, why not address the problem of colleges charging thousands upon thousands of dollars to attend. Lets face it, without a college degree, decent paying jobs in the US are nearly impossible to come by. Some apprenticeship positions are available, yet not everybody is cut out for that kind of work, and with the economy being the way it is, many baby boomers in the manufacturing line of work just aren't retiring leaving a job shortage with the main jobs available being working at mickey dees making $7.25 an hour with no benefits, being extremely lucky if you get anywhere above 30 hours a week. Now for the military, if you have any sort of disability be it mental or physical, they wont let you join (I had a friend commit suicide for that reason, different story for a different day though.) So it is not like there are "endless opportunities. I believe that a good place to start would be to better Americas infrastructure in massive work projects like in the Roosevelt administration, thus providing the poor with jobs and decent living, and giving the nation what we need to move into the future.
Colleges can charge whatever they want. That's the beauty of the free market. If you're so concerned about tuition costs, you should take that up with your liberal friends in Washington. Government intervention has driven up the cost of higher education, housing, and healthcare. In the case of higher education, easy student loans have contributed to tuition costs rising by 500% over the last 30 years. It's simple supply and demand at work. Economics 101.

You're wrong about there not being any jobs for people without college degrees. I've already provided a few examples of living-wage jobs that don't require a college degree. Work is available for anyone who wants it badly enough. The problem is, a lot of people are perfectly content making excuses, feeling sorry for themselves, and freeloading off their parents or the government. Because of their entitlement mentality, they don't want to put in the hard work like prior generations did.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
In my post about attractiveness, I was merely pointing out that life isn't always fair. I didn't state my own opinion one way or the other; I only stated the universal truth that attractive people have greater opportunities in every aspect of life. This is true across political and cultural lines. Fair or not, that's the way the world is. That's the way we're hardwired. It's human nature to favor more attractive people. No sense whining about something that can't be changed. While unattractive people are inherently disadvantaged, this initial obstacle can be overcome. They just have to work harder to get what they want, be it romance or promotions at work.

Tax policy, on the other hand, isn't immutable; it can be changed. With the right politicians, a fairer system can be implemented. As more and more Americans grow tired of freeloading scum (like the OWS losers who feel they deserve handouts), there's a better chance of more sensible politicians being elected. But even if Americans continue to elect welfare-enabling politicians, the gravy train won't last forever because the system is already so strained. Eventually, the entire entitlement system will come crashing down like it did in Greece. At that time, Americans will be forced to make sacrifices (e.g., accept austerity measures and/or pay higher taxes) in order to save the Republic. One way or another, the current system won't last. It is unsustainable. The welfare leeches are on borrowed time.
Nice backpedal, but we won't dwell on that. If life isn't fair, then life isn't fair, meaning you cannot apply the same rules for all.

If the jobs were available and if the US hadn't opted to outsource and reduce its manufacturing capacity in favour of cheaper foreign made products, most of the leeches (your words, not mine) would have jobs and in turn, would have money to spend on the economy. How do other countries such as Germany manage to not only sustain their welfare systems while ensuring rights for workers, also manage to have trade surpluses?

The problem with people of your mindset is not only your staggering levels of ignorance towards others, but also your solution to all problems is to cut, cut, cut. If you stopped all welfare tomorrow, aside for the fact that you clearly have no compassion for others (so let's forget that issue now that we've clearly established that), do you not consider the fact that if suddenly people have no sources income at all, it will lead to widespread social, followed by political unrest, not to mention the risk of infectious diseases spreading like wildfire. Even in your sheltered existence, such problems would eventually affect you personally.

I quoted your post about beautiful people because it is actually one example of how it's NOT a level playing field and why you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. Person A is naturally beautiful, person B is unattractive through no fault of their own. Both busted their arses in life, are equally qualified, but guess who gets the job?

Implying that all poor people are lazy is just ridiculous. Of course, I have no sympathy for those who wilfully abuse the system, but that isn't an excuse to just end it for all. You can cut down on fraud, you can also restructure the system to make it more of a hand up, to help people retrain and learn new skills at little or no cost.

It's so hilarious how so many self-righteous Americans believe that they're immune or somehow superior. The poor and liberals are becoming America's Jews. Now all the US needs is a Hitler type figure to galvanise all of the hatred and scapegoating to complete the picture.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Colleges can charge whatever they want. That's the beauty of the free market. If you're so concerned about tuition costs, you should take that up with your liberal friends in Washington. Government intervention has driven up the cost of higher education, housing, and healthcare. In the case of higher education, easy student loans have contributed to tuition costs rising by 500% over the last 30 years. It's simple supply and demand at work. Economics 101.

You're wrong about there not being any jobs for people without college degrees. I've already provided a few examples of living-wage jobs that don't require a college degree. Work is available for anyone who wants it badly enough. The problem is, a lot of people are perfectly content making excuses, feeling sorry for themselves, and freeloading off their parents or the government. Because of their entitlement mentality, they don't want to put in the hard work like prior generations did.
If government intervention is the sole reason why tuition costs are so high, why are they considerably less in countries where governments are far more proactive in trying to ensure that everyone has access to higher education?

Giving universities the carte blanche to charge "whatever they want" is all well and good, but fewer and fewer people will be able to afford to go and as a result, US companies who ask for a BA for a $12 an hour accounts payable job are going to have to rethink that strategy or guess what...you'll have even more unemployed people in a country where manual jobs that had historically provided work for the working class are more scarce than they were even 20 years ago, same with Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.