Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Is that all ya got? You realize paid attendance at sxsw is under 15000 people? Do you know how many people attend even one MLB game? As for economies, Wilmington (DE) has DuPont, Midland (MI) has Dow Chemical and Bentonville (AR) has Walmart. I suspect most cites would prefer to have these behemoths vs hosting the global HQ for Alamo Drafthouse. That said (like Austin), that doesn't mean either of them are major cities.

You've further reinforced my view that Austin should play in its own league. it's a far cry from the majors, I'm afraid. I'll give you this, however: Austin takes the crown on aging hippies.
Lol man, you've really got a fire in your belly about Austin, huh?

What's that, three times now you've gone out of your way to bash it in an unrelated thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Actually, not at all. In the 26 years I lived in Texas, I enjoyed many over night visits to Austin, which I find is a pleasant mid-size city. I even took out of town guests from DC there for a visit one time. My observations have less to do with Austin but more about how some folks view this town.

When I arrived in Texas in the mid-80s, a couple of friends went on in an almost reverential tone about the beauty, counter-culture and downright "coolness" of Austin. I made my fist trip there in fairly short order to see this magical mecca for myself. My impressions were somewhat different. I enjoyed myself, but it didn't strike me as particularly more counter-culture or cool than Madison, Columbus, Berkley or a dozen or so other college towns. I generally find that those who hold Austin in such high regard are UT alumni who grew up in the hinterlands of Texas and spent their impressionable undergraduate years on 6th Street and at Hippie Hallow.

As for me sharing my observations about Austin on this thread, they were initiated in response to a poster who claimed Texas was erroneously omitted from a list of the top "hipsterist" states, as follows:
Quote:
Why isn't Texas anywhere on there? I'd bet Austin alone can give any of these entire states a run for its............... hipsters.
On CD, people share facts and opinions and frequently a debate ensues where different opinions and impressions are shared. If you want to call me on pretty typical CD behavior, while it may be a bit odd, I have no problem with that. Also, if someone wants to claim "Austin is the second coming of Paris or NYC," they can do that here, as well. I may or may not respond to such a claim, however, as I'm feeling pretty tapped out on this topic right now.

As an aside, I have found many of your posts quite funny. You have a great sense of humor.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Is that all ya got? You realize paid attendance at sxsw is under 15000 people? Do you know how many people attend even one MLB game? As for economies, Wilmington (DE) has DuPont, Midland (MI) has Dow Chemical and Bentonville (AR) has Walmart. I suspect most cites would prefer to have these behemoths vs hosting the global HQ for Alamo Drafthouse. That said (like Austin), that doesn't mean either of them are major cities.

You've further reinforced my view that Austin should play in its own league. it's a far cry from the majors, I'm afraid. I'll give you this, however: Austin takes the crown on aging hippies.
did i say austin was a major city? you're boring me. the list i mentioned are in fact things other major cities have expressed interest in. toronto can't even pull off a successful sxsw when they themselves have a nxne. not even portland has it as big as sxsw. and paid attendance may be under 15,000 people but that's not including the people that visit austin without badges or wristbands. dupont, dow chemical, walmart, etc are the same. those are also things major cities have expressed interest in but that's not what we're talking about is it now? i made the contention that austin has things major cities would like.... so stop making boring arguments.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Actually, not at all. In the 26 years I lived in Texas, I enjoyed many over night visits to Austin, which I find is a pleasant mid-size city. I even took out of town guests from DC there for a visit one time. My observations have less to do with Austin but more about how some folks view this town.

When I arrived in Texas in the mid-80s, a couple of friends went on in an almost reverential tone about the beauty, counter-culture and downright "coolness" of Austin. I made my fist trip there in fairly short order to see this magical mecca for myself. My impressions were somewhat different. I enjoyed myself, but it didn't strike me as particularly more counter-culture or cool than Madison, Columbus, Berkley or a dozen or so other college towns. I generally find that those who hold Austin in such high regard are UT alumni who grew up in the hinterlands of Texas and spent their impressionable undergraduate years on 6th Street and at Hippie Hallow.

As for me sharing my observations about Austin on this thread, they were initiated in response to a poster who claimed Texas was erroneously omitted from a list of the top "hipsterist" states, as follows:
[/quote]
you made the observation about my claim that it was erroneously omitted from a list of top "hipsterist" states.... now how does that have anything to do with this "reverential" tone that you're friends went on and on about?

if any observation you should have already made by now considering that you're probably an older person with quite some experience is that for decades austin has meant something to many people of different kinds. so why try to discredit them? if austin doesn't appeal to you then move on. everybody has talked about this "berekeley" coolness and its counter culture vibe... well, guess what i've been there sooo many times and i don't see it anywhere nearly as close as austin's. but hey... that's just me.... i don't go screwing up threads for it.

and for the record, you've got me all wrong. you wanna make me look as if i'm overrating austin which i'm not.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
^^^
And you think I have a fire in my belly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Don't mess with Texas

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
So biking, live music options, and food co-ops are among the things they are considering "hipster"? Those are all, um...GOOD things. I think it is a bit ridiculous how people have become obsessed with the term 'hipster'. Classifying whole STATES as 'hipster' now? Give it a rest, America. Your dumbness is showing.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Because people are jealous of Austin and how it's getting so much press. What they don't realize is that negative press is still press, it still promotes the image.

It's like many people know a lot about New Orleans from watching Katrina unfold. They had heard what it was like through all the media coverage of before and after and now want to visit now that the city has mostly recovered.
Jealous of Austin? No offense, but it's probably one of the most overrated cities in the U.S. It's a nice city to visit once or twice, but I would never want to live there.

As far as New Orleans is concerned, it didn't take Katrina to put the city on the map.

Furthermore, hipsters...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
So biking, live music options, and food co-ops are among the things they are considering "hipster"? Those are all, um...GOOD things. I think it is a bit ridiculous how people have become obsessed with the term 'hipster'. Classifying whole STATES as 'hipster' now? Give it a rest, America. Your dumbness is showing.
Yes they are good things. Hipsters are a just a class of Dbags that deemed these stores as trendy. I would not be surprised to see hipsters starting to shop at WalMart® for its "ironic" value.

It took almost 20 years to bring decent quality beer to the mainstream. In less than 5 years Hipsters seem to think its cool to drink backwash swill like Pabst, Miller and Iron city.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
America's dumbness shows all the time!

At least they are quantifying hipster to actually mean something. Most people I know seem to classify it be how one looks: EMO meets Geek meets Edgy Model wanna-be meets Skateboarder.....or something like that.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Generally the hipster places I think of are New England, New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and every state on the west coast. I think it's pretty safe to say that the Great Lakes areas are home to lots of hipsters. New England, the Great Lakes, the Upper Midwest east of the Plains, and the West Coast are the most liberal places in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.