Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the Divide Line between North and South?
Interstate 70 11 7.64%
U.S. Route 50 13 9.03%
Mason-Dixie Line & Ohio River 67 46.53%
U.S. Route 60 29 20.14%
Other 30 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
U.S. Route 60, definitely.

...until it reaches the Oklahoma border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
St. Louis was founded in 1764. New Orleans in 1718.
My bad, thats what I get for posting before I have coffee.
Anyway, my fundamental point was that the French were in the Mid-Mississippi Valley pretty much all at the same time, and they werent building anything of architectural significance anywhere until at least 1800.
What I mean by significant is buildings of stone or brick, there are several significant buildings still standing in Ste Genevieve and other places that were built from wood.
Anything built in the 19th century anywhere in the Mississippi Valley, or anywhere else, was of total European influence, up until this;
History of Art Deco
And it was still French.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM

800 posts, read 780,822 times
It's a very blurry dividing line to be sure because in the US, as probably with other countries, cultural influences tend to mix and mingle. Thus you get cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati, which by and by are definitively Midwestern, at least according to the residents, however we don't have much in common with cities like Chicago from what I've found. The problem is the Midwest is such a huge and broad region when it would be much better divided into midland/lower midwest and then upper midwest.

Pretty much STL and Cincy (I would assume KC as well) have a lot in common, with Indianapolis thrown in the mix as well and is strikingly different than Chicago, Detroit, etc.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
It's a very blurry dividing line to be sure because in the US, as probably with other countries, cultural influences tend to mix and mingle. Thus you get cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati, which by and by are definitively Midwestern, at least according to the residents, however we don't have much in common with cities like Chicago from what I've found. The problem is the Midwest is such a huge and broad region when it would be much better divided into midland/lower midwest and then upper midwest.

Pretty much STL and Cincy (I would assume KC as well) have a lot in common, with Indianapolis thrown in the mix as well and is strikingly different than Chicago, Detroit, etc.
I disagree with that strongly. We have a lot in common with Chicago in terms of industry, architecture, and demographics. St. Louis reminds me a lot of Cleveland and to an extent Detroit. They have a lot more in common with cities of the Upper Midwest than with any Southern cities.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Most of the Catholics in FL moved there from the NE, Midwest and Cuba. As late as the 70s, the Diocese of Miami covered the whole state!
I agree there...most of Texas' Catholic population is due to the Hispanic presence there obviously from Mexican immigrants. Louisiana obviously is a unique case for the entire country...the Cajun and Creole elements, among other things, make Louisiana another Catholic outlier...but visit the area where they are concentrated and it still rings Deep South true to the note.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
STL was founded 50 years before NOLA by the French.
No "spreading" needed.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Its impossible to make a definitive hard line. My opinion is that south of Fredericksburg and Charlottesville in VA still have enough characteristics to be considered southern, but Richmond has been challenging this thought for years and is itself somewhat of a transition zone. Everything north of Charleston in WV has enough characteristics to pass as NOT being southern, but Charleston, like Richmond, is kinda blurring its "southerness" as well. I believe the entire state of Kentucky to be southern except for metro Louisville, and although there is southern culture there, it compares more to Cincy and Indy moreso than Memphis and Birmingham. The southeastern portion of Mizzou, in the Mississippi Valley, is most definitely southern, but going west I'm not sure. Going north, you are certqinly out of the South by the time you reach St. Louis, although they also have a somewhat blurry southern/midwestern culture...

The point in my post is that it is difficult to say whats South the farther north you go. To some people, Richmond, Charleston, Louisville and St. Louis areas are all southern, to some they all are not, and to others they are exactly what they are: regional transition zones. I understand the point of this thread, but it is enormously difficult to create a modern day North/South dividing line...
There's nothing blurry about St. Louis' culture...it is definitively Midwestern. Anybody who has trouble calling St. Louis Midwestern has never been to the Midwest themselves. Louisville is unquestionably Southern...a stark contrast to St. Louis...I've driven between the two cities, they are VERY different culturally and architecturally. Louisville has the boom and vibe of the New South architecturally, culturally, linguistically, and politically. Richmond is undebatably Southern...CHarleston may have some manufacturing but is southern in every other respect.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,184 times
Delaware is technically north of the Mason-Dixon and Maryland is south. Someone posted that part of New Jersey is south of the line. Sorry. The entire state is north of of the Mason-Dixon. The Mason-Dixon Line was never intended to separate the North and South or free and slave. It was only established to settle a border dispute between MD and PA. The TRUE Mason-Dixon only runs between MD and PA and MD and DE. Delaware was once part of PA. Delaware was a slave state that is north of the Mason-Dixon. Go figure.

Rural areas in many states have a "southern" feel. South Jersey is VERY rural and has the same feel as Lower Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Lancaster County, PA (as with most of the state) is the same way. Fairfax County, VA feels like the North. Hush Puppies and sweet tea are hard to find in MD and DE. Maybe that means something. I don't know.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Delaware is technically north of the Mason-Dixon and Maryland is south. Someone posted that part of New Jersey is south of the line. Sorry. The entire state is north of of the Mason-Dixon. The Mason-Dixon Line was never intended to separate the North and South or free and slave. It was only established to settle a border dispute between MD and PA. The TRUE Mason-Dixon only runs between MD and PA and MD and DE. Delaware was once part of PA. Delaware was a slave state that is north of the Mason-Dixon. Go figure.

Rural areas in many states have a "southern" feel. South Jersey is VERY rural and has the same feel as Lower Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Lancaster County, PA (as with most of the state) is the same way. Fairfax County, VA feels like the North. Hush Puppies and sweet tea are hard to find in MD and DE. Maybe that means something. I don't know.
Maryland really isn't the south today at all. The true Mason-Dixon line might run between Maryland and Pennsylvania, but the true north-south line IMO is U.S. Highway 50 roughly (D.C. metro entirely included north of the line).

Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Most of the Catholics in FL moved there from the NE, Midwest and Cuba. As late as the 70s, the Diocese of Miami covered the whole state!
Agreed. in Louisiana, the majority of Catholics come of the Cajun/Creole/French influence, mixed in with a little German and a little Italian. In terms of Texas, Hispanics and transplants account for the large Catholic populations. Florida, as you said, is all transplant-influenced for its Catholicism. So each is Catholic for their own unique reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.