Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 13,549 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate at the end of July. I do not drive so this is a huge factor in determining where to move. I have never lived in a snowy area and do not prefer the cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
You don't drive and don't want snow? San Francisco comes to mind as a place with good public transportation and mild weather. The best transit systems seem to be in the colder cities. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Is there anything else that you are looking for?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpris View Post
Looking to relocate at the end of July. I do not drive so this is a huge factor in determining where to move. I have never lived in a snowy area and do not prefer the cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Check out Atlanta. It has a pretty decent transit system and a fairly low cost of living. MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
New York City gets reasonably cold in winter, but has an amazing public transportation system. You'll find that a lot of the warmer cities are very auto-centric.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Have been checking most of those places out online the last week or so. Portland, OR sounds the most decent so far. I am receiving a variety of opinons on the weather there, but that seems true of most every area in the U.S.

Anyone who has personally lived somewhere and been unable to drive themselves, and has advice would be beneficial as well.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

A gurantee to happiness and prosperity? Lol.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Thank you for your Post; I too would like to move to a city, not quite as large as Atlanta though
closer than an hour away from major shopping. Thinking/Praying about southeast having lived all my life in the West.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Thank you for your Post; I too would like to move to a city, not quite as large as Atlanta though closer than an hour away from major shopping. Thinking/Praying about southeast having lived all my life in the West.
Check out Greensboro/Winston Salem, NC

It's a large metro area mainly comprised of the two medium sized cities (3rd and 4th largest cities in NC) which are about equal in size and have a pleasant suburban feel yet with many urban amenities in terms of selection of retail stores, grocery stores and restaurants as well as cultural activities. The economy is fairly diversified with a bit of each sector represented. It's a fairly uncongested with a higher than average amount of greenspace/parks/tree canopy. The cost of living is quite low, particularly in housing. In terms of weather you get the benefit off all four seasons without any real severity as winters are mild, spring and fall tend to last longer than most places further south and summers are on the shorter side (3 months).

Piedmont Triad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winston-Salem, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Thank you for the suggestions Kyle; spring and fall last longer you inform me and that appeals to as me as well.

To the one who began this Thread, a website I learned on the Forum, walkscore.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.