Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
yeah, I agree, u can't really count Chicago in that catergory.
The reason I included Chicago is because certain areas of the city did experience severe decline....and Gary, Indiana is about as quintessential rustbelt as it gets. But I agree, overall you could probably make a better case for it not being rust belt, despite the fact that it had the same heavy manufacturing as the rest of the Great Lakes cities. In any case, you could also argue for Indy and Columbus, solely based on their manufacturing history. What is true of Chicago, Indy, and Columbus was that they never ended up suffering the long-term decline of places like STL, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo (although some of these places are rebounding now, like Pittsburgh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I'd rather live in the Northeast (NYC, Philadelphia, Boston) than the Sun Belt, but ultimately I love the Midwest andd Upper Midwest (Minneapolis). I would either choose Minneapolis or Chicago (even Toronto). I would never ever live in Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (then again, maybe I would live in Pittsburgh), Buffalo, etc. by choice. They're nice places to visit, but not to live.

Last edited by 313Weather; 06-10-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
My preference to live in the Sun Belt is subjective: generally better weather, nicer people and more interesting and diverse scenery compared to the Rust Belt. However, I think I would like the upper LP and UP of Michigan, Eastern Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, minus the winter weather.
IMO, I would rather deal with an Upper Midwest winter than a Deep South summer.

If there is anything I hate with a passion, it's sweating profusely and having to hydrate myself constantly...taking a shower if you're going to be out for long periods in extreme heat and humidity is almost pointless as well. Being a hairy man like myself who sweats easily only makes things worse where this is concerned.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'd rather live in the Northeast (NYC, Philadelphia, Boston) than the Sun Belt, but ultimately I love the Midwest andd Upper Midwest (Minnapolis). I would either choose Minneapolis or Chicago (even Toronto). I would never ever live in Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (then again, maybe I would live in Pittsburgh), Buffalo, etc. by choice. They're nice places to visit, but not to live.
I'd have to disagree. It depends on your taste...if you only want metros of 4 million or above, then I'd agree. But Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis all have among the nicest suburbs in the country.

In St. Louis proper (in the city limits), I think that most of South City, and the Central West End are great places to live. In neighboring St. Louis County, which has the biggest chunk of the metro's population and is now every bit as urban as the city (with Clayton developing into a major downtown area), where I grew up, are some of IMO the best suburbs ever. St. Louis and Cleveland both offer extremely affordable costs of living. St. Louis County is practically crime-free, has excellent schools, etc.

Also, I'd strongly recommend most cities in the Rust Belt if you are looking for Catholic schools, all the way from kindergarten to the university level.

Although i'm pretty sure that Florida, Louisiana, and Texas could offer those same areas.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd have to disagree. It depends on your taste...if you only want metros of 4 million or above, then I'd agree. But Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis all have among the nicest suburbs in the country.

In St. Louis proper (in the city limits), I think that most of South City, and the Central West End are great places to live. In neighboring St. Louis County, which has the biggest chunk of the metro's population and is now every bit as urban as the city (with Clayton developing into a major downtown area), where I grew up, are some of IMO the best suburbs ever. St. Louis and Cleveland both offer extremely affordable costs of living. St. Louis County is practically crime-free, has excellent schools, etc.

Also, I'd strongly recommend most cities in the Rust Belt if you are looking for Catholic schools, all the way from kindergarten to the university level.

Although i'm pretty sure that Florida, Louisiana, and Texas could offer those same areas.
That's the thing, I'm not a fan of suburbs. Once you exclude the walkable town centers of the older city centers in the Northeast, once you've seen one suburb you've pretty much seen them all.

I like, one, being a city that's not as provincial or set in its ways. A city that has remained stagnant, or is even slowly shrinking, would be fairly provincial. I also like a city that offers a vibrant urban environment and unique experience as well. There's only one MAgnificant Mile or Times Square for example. However, there are tons of Grosse Pointes and Shaker Heights (as in every city has one).

My political/economic/social views are also more progressive as well, so I would be happier in an area with more people who share my views than not.

Different for different folks obviously.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM

189 posts, read 400,073 times
Quote:
That's the thing, I'm not a fan of suburbs. Once you exclude the walkable town centers of the older city centers in the Northeast, once you've seen one suburb you've pretty much seen them all.
The eastside suburbs of Cleveland were originally build by transplants from Conneticut. They have walkable town centers. On the westside, Lakewood is the densest city between Philadelphia and Chicago and the rest of the westside suburbs are concentrated along the coast of Lake Erie as well.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
On the westside, Lakewood is the densest city between Philadelphia and Chicago and the rest of the westside suburbs are concentrated along the coast of Lake Erie as well.
exception, not rule.

Much of it has existed since the early 1800s.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The reason I included Chicago is because certain areas of the city did experience severe decline....and Gary, Indiana is about as quintessential rustbelt as it gets. But I agree, overall you could probably make a better case for it not being rust belt, despite the fact that it had the same heavy manufacturing as the rest of the Great Lakes cities. In any case, you could also argue for Indy and Columbus, solely based on their manufacturing history. What is true of Chicago, Indy, and Columbus was that they never ended up suffering the long-term decline of places like STL, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo (although some of these places are rebounding now, like Pittsburgh).

Columbus, Ohio was never a manufacturing center.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Columbus, Ohio was never a manufacturing center.
Ok...I guess it's not as much like Indy as I thought.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I like, one, being a city that's not as provincial or set in its ways. A city that has remained stagnant, or is even slowly shrinking, would be fairly provincial. I also like a city that offers a vibrant urban environment and unique experience as well. There's only one MAgnificant Mile or Times Square for example. However, there are tons of Grosse Pointes and Shaker Heights (as in every city has one).

My political/economic/social views are also more progressive as well, so I would be happier in an area with more people who share my views than not.

Different for different folks obviously.
I don't share the same view of suburbs, but I respect your opinion anyway. However, St. Louis' suburbs are far more than suburbs...St. Louis County is very, very urban, with several skylines....St. Louis and Cleveland both have very good suburbs...nice rolling topography, lots to do...the suburbs of both these areas are much more than just neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.