Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha, I've noticed people tend to do this in the Lehigh Valley area of PA but haven't heard it elsewhere really. I don't know where it comes from but it just seems the wrong words are emphasized. Pretty fun to imitate though haha.
I think this comes from the PA Dutch influence in the area.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Accents don't bother me; poor English does.

If you use double negatives, the word "ain't," the word "don't" in place of "doesn't" -- then I automatically tune you out because you are too stupid to hear.
Isn't poor grammar indicative of a lack of education rather than stupidity? I've met some very intelligent people who weren't very educated, and their gramma almost always gives them away...but this doesn't make them "stupid".

Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Isn't poor grammar indicative of a lack of education rather than stupidity? I've met some very intelligent people who weren't very educated, and their gramma almost always gives them away...but this doesn't make them "stupid".
That's a good point. However, if they are really intelligent AND interested in not appearing ignorant and/or trying to move up in life, wouldn't they make an effort to improve their speech?

I know that I learned years ago to upgrade my own way of speaking when in the business world by listening to others and taking cues from what they said (or did) that I had not been taught.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good point. However, if they are really intelligent AND interested in not appearing ignorant and/or trying to move up in life, wouldn't they make an effort to improve their speech?

I know that I learned years ago to upgrade my own way of speaking when in the business world by listening to others and taking cues from what they said (or did) that I had not been taught.
I agree...I don't know why someone who is fairly intelligent wouldn't at least attempt to use proper English.

I think most people have formal and casual ways of speaking, depending upon the situation.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
I agree...I don't know why someone who is fairly intelligent wouldn't at least attempt to use proper English.

I think most people have formal and casual ways of speaking, depending upon the situation.
Precisely.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Unless some situation prevented them from completing grade school, that's no excuse.

I'm not talking about an ESL situation. Usually ESL speakers have better grammar than native speakers, anyway. I also am not talking about people who write poorly. I understand that not everyone excels at writing.

Here in Northeast PA, we have TEACHERS who speak like this.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Accents don't bother me; poor English does.

If you use double negatives, the word "ain't," the word "don't" in place of "doesn't" -- then I automatically tune you out because you are too stupid to hear.
"Ain't" dates at least from the 18th century, and its antecessor "An't" from the 17th century, and they were used by people like Jonathan Swift and Charles Dickens, who can hardly be classed as ignorant.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:13 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
SoCal Valley girl.
We have a winner.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Unless some situation prevented them from completing grade school, that's no excuse.

I'm not talking about an ESL situation. Usually ESL speakers have better grammar than native speakers, anyway. I also am not talking about people who write poorly. I understand that not everyone excels at writing.

Here in Northeast PA, we have TEACHERS who speak like this.
Hmmm...so you give people a pass on poor writing skills but not poor speaking skills? I think the too are very closely related.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
There's a problem with the idea of poor grammar anyway. We have textbook English grammar which is deemed to be right, but if English had been "standardized" to Southern American English we'd be looking at a different idea of right and wrong.

Not to mention "proper English" is slowly becoming outdated and will have to change to fit with the newer standard. For example using "they" instead of "he or she" is the most common way to speak now, but "proper grammar" forbids it, and Licorice is officially pronounced "liqouriss" according to many sources but almost everyone says "lickerish".

The idea of a correct form of English where all others are wrong is ridiculous - though I admit my speech changes a lot when i'm in an academic/business situation, or even talking to someone out of state - my accent basically disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.