Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,259 times

Advertisements

If you don't have to be an a large city then Charleston all the way. Me personally, I love larger cities, I would choose DC.

But, if a smaller metro that is beautiful (the city....suburbs are sprawling like crazy in Charleston) AND you want your money to stretch A LOT more with a family, Charleston wins....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
May all your choices in life be this "hard!" Congrats - both job offers sound good.

Charleston is beautiful and the cost of living is lower. It's less congested and has lots to offer a family. There - that's my opinion on Charleston.

But I lean toward the DC assignment - because you have kids. My family moved to the VA Beach area when I was 7 years old, for my dad's job. I LOVED THAT WHOLE CHESAPEAKE AREA. Oh my gosh - you will NEVER run out of interesting things to do with the kids. There is so much history between Boston and the Outer Banks of North Carolina that you may not even be able to see and do everything if you live there ten years! Besides that, the culture and "feel" of the Chesapeake Bay region is so unique and intriguing. I credit the time my family spent in that area for my current love of history, which has greatly enriched my life. I remember distinctly the first time I stood on that Atlantic seaboard at age seven, looking across that ocean, and thinking, "Wow. This is the ocean that the Pilgrims crossed to settle the New World. That way - ENGLAND." History grabbed me right then and there. The idea of getting in a wooden boat and sailing across such an expanse of water to come to a completely uncharted land blew my mind.

In fact, it grabbed me so hard, that I've taken trip after trip to that area. I am headed that way again next week, to revisit DC, Mount Vernon, and of course - VIRGINIA BEACH! It never seems to get old.

Within a half days' drive you would have great beaches (take your pick), Philly, NYC, Boston, mountains, Amish country, historic battlefields like Antietam, Williamsburg, Monticello, Mt Vernon, plantations, the most quaint town in the world (Annapolis), Jamestown, Yorktown, Arlington Cemetery, amusement parks, beautiful national parks and wildlife reserves, and some of the best seafood you will ever put in your mouth. Not to mention the sights in DC and Georgetown.

Expensive? Yes. Crowded? Can be. Worth it? Absolutely.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
May all your choices in life be this "hard!" Congrats - both job offers sound good.

Charleston is beautiful and the cost of living is lower. It's less congested and has lots to offer a family. There - that's my opinion on Charleston.

Within a half days' drive you would have great beaches (take your pick), Philly, NYC, Boston, mountains, Amish country, historic battlefields like Antietam, Williamsburg, Monticello, Mt Vernon, plantations, the most quaint town in the world (Annapolis), Jamestown, Yorktown, Arlington Cemetery, amusement parks, beautiful national parks and wildlife reserves, and some of the best seafood you will ever put in your mouth. Not to mention the sights in DC and Georgetown.

Expensive? Yes. Crowded? Can be. Worth it? Absolutely.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
You have a very valid opinion. It is hard because within a half day's drive from Charleston you would have even better beaches. SC is famous for each beaches....

Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Myrtle Beach, Asheville (Biltmore), Appalachian Mountains, Savannah, Tybee Island... Charleston has PLENTY of historic battlefields, granted SC was the first to succeed. Carowinds in Charlotte and seafood, SC coast can definitely match. I think Charleston does pretty well in matching with DC, especially if you don't like crowds and traffic...What does win is the closeness to Philly, NYC and Boston, and the public transportation!!!

I think the poster needs to spend a week in each city and come to their own conclusion because this is a hard one!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
You have a very valid opinion. It is hard because within a half day's drive from Charleston you would have even better beaches. SC is famous for each beaches....

Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Myrtle Beach, Asheville (Biltmore), Appalachian Mountains, Savannah, Tybee Island... Charleston has PLENTY of historic battlefields, granted SC was the first to succeed. Carowinds in Charlotte and seafood, SC coast can definitely match. I think Charleston does pretty well in matching with DC, especially if you don't like crowds and traffic...What does win is the closeness to Philly, NYC and Boston, and the public transportation!!!

I think the poster needs to spend a week in each city and come to their own conclusion because this is a hard one!
I agree, you need to see both places. I think your money will go farther in Charleston, weather is better in Charleston, and traffic is better. Course I hate big cities, and too many people, but Charleston can match up with any city when you want something to do or see.
For a small city it has anything a large city has, just on a smaller scale. A very livable place.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

I totally agree! I wouldn't make the decision without doing so - and without cruising around with a real estate agent for a day or two.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM

163 posts, read 259,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Charleston is not so "small town" anymore and there is so much to do in Charleston. Apparently you have not been there lately.
Charleston is Mayberry compared to DC lol

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM

811 posts, read 1,055,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
Actually, the Charleston metro is more spread out than a lot of people probably realize. From downtown, along I-26, the suburban developed area spans about 25 miles to the northwest.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:

Well then give me Mayberry any day over the mess in DC. Charleston is a great place to live. Beats anything I have ever seen anywhere. People that live in places when you F### 300 people smell it don't know what living is. You live like ants in a crowed ant hill.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with preferring either Mayberry, Charleston, OR DC. What's wrong is to ridicule others for their own personal choices - which aren't a moral choice as much as they are simply based on personality, lifestyle, and interests.

The OP asked for feedback and information about both places - not criticism of those who prefer a faster or slower pace of life.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
The good thing here is that both cities are among the best in their size categories. It just really boils down to if you prefer a large metro or a small one and cost of living. That will be the deciding factor.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that if one doesn't mind a smaller city, especially since "Mayberry" has some of the best cuisine, most historically important sites, nationally ranked golf courses, and a world-renowned performing arts festival to its credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.