Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I'm comparing it city by city. Homes in sunbelt cities are cheaper than homes in older cities. Homes in Houston are cheaper than homes in older cities. It's not a coincidence that these cities essentially exploded overnight. They had the two key ingredients to make them attractive: cheap housing and jobs.

The average price in Houston(the entire metro) is in the 160k range . In older metros, it's twice that and beyond.

1) No I don't think that's what happens, because that's not what happens. If you can't comprehend what I mean about sprawl then I'm not going to give you a write up about it. Your tone indicates you're not even remotely interested in discussing it because you're only concerned about one thing. And I've been to Houston on multiple occasions. Outside of it being a horror movie in planning, the fact that it has some of the worst traffic I've ever been in without any alternative means of getting around indicates to me that millions of people daily are putting stress on the metro. And there was also a tacky little auto shop sitting right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

2) Multiple employment districts as you like to call them aren't exclusive to sunbelt cities. Every city has them. Urban areas aren't just made up of a long contiguous line of office buildings like some people believe(see the DC outer boroughs I posted earlier). Proper districting and zoning(something sunbelt cities lack) helps with this as well prevents it from sprawling out.

And I don't know you think pouting and throwing out little insults is somehow going to make you say any better, but cut it out. Not only is it immature, but it's annoying. I'm probably not going to continue going back and forth since it's not productive.
lol, again you cannot understand simple concepts. pull your head out of your behind and see that if Houston was half as cheap as the older cities why don't they move to the core instead of the far suburbs. don't be daft, the outer burbs are more expensive, if saving money was their concern they would stay in the closer names, stop being daft, if someone moves all the way out there it is not saving money that is on their mind. You know nothing about these areas that is why you can't comment on the relative prices. If you know nothing then why do you continue to speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I think by 2050 half of them will be megacities. Even with growth slowing down, 3M is literally nothing for places that are in their prime right now. The OP left out the largest in the south, DC because they will likely be the first to cross that line. If growth slows after the next census then the Texas two will be just 1.5M-2M away from the 10M line and for 30 years that's nothing to worry about even with very slow growth.

1. Dallas 12M
2. Houston 11M-12M
3. DC 11M
4. Atlanta 8M-9M
5. Miami 8M
The DC CSA Is the largest in the census South. The DC MSA is not.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The DC CSA Is the largest in the census South. The DC MSA is not.
I was talking about CSA, what did you think I was talking about?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
I was talking about CSA, what did you think I was talking about?
Either way DC shouldn't even be in this discussion. Anyway, even though I already broke down the pros and cons of each of the Big 4 I would probably choose Houston. Having the most land area probably gives it the most potential to densify it's undeveloped areas. The city has plenty of room to grow but it will probably never be as urban or rival the density levels of the Northeastern cities.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Either way DC shouldn't even be in this discussion.
Why not? DC is the largest CSA in the south.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
DC starts from a larger size, Houston or Dallas have growth on their sides, not enough to make up for it, imo. I'd say DC.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I actually kinda don't see any southern city really taking over the current megacities.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Why not? DC is the largest CSA in the south.
Here we go again.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Here we go again.
The only reason people from the northeast claim DC is because it adds another world class city to their list. If DC was more like Norfolk then people like you wouldn't care for it. I know living in Philadelphia it becomes important to try to surround yourself with more world class places to cover up your regions blemishes, since location is the only thing going for Phily, but its not going to happen.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
The only reason people from the northeast claim DC is because it adds another world class city to their list. If DC was more like Norfolk then people like you wouldn't care for it. I know living in Philadelphia it becomes important to try to surround yourself with more world class places to cover up your regions blemishes, since location is the only thing going for Phily, but its not going to happen.
Oh snap, this just got good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.