Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
The only reason people from the northeast claim DC is because it adds another world class city to their list.
DC has more in common culturally with cities like New York and Philly than it does with the Big 4 southern cities of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. If you are one of those posters that "live and die" for the Mason-Dixon Line approach than this debate won't last long.

Quote:
If DC was more like Norfolk then people like you wouldn't care for it. I know living in Philadelphia it becomes important to try to surround yourself with more world class places to cover up your regions blemishes, since location is the only thing going for Philly, but its not going to happen.
I could seriously care less about what world class cities Philly has to be next to in order to have importance as you ridiculously claimed. It's nice to see you weren't hesitant at all to bash Philly in your last sentence.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-05-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Many things can happen. Corrupt governments, lack of employment, lack of resources, not able top retain top attributes such as wealth, knowledge, talent, etc, anti-growth, and more. Dallas is actually in a solid location. It's not like it is Omaha or Kansas City. Houston's location is better. But Dallas will still grow toe to toe with Houston because it has many things going for it as well. Anything less is wishful thinking from Houstonians hoping to be the all around king of Texas. Both Houston and Dallas residents need to come to terms that a main city of the state developing isn't going to happen. Each will have the upper hand over the other in something. But not everything.
Thank you. Very well said.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
I was talking about CSA, what did you think I was talking about?
A CSA is not a metro. The MSA is a much better guage.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I actually kinda don't see any southern city really taking over the current megacities.
But that wasn't the question. The question was which of the major cities in the South will join the megacity list. Not take over.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Quote:
A CSA is not a metro. The MSA is a much better guage.
CSA is a metro. The only difference is CSA takes 15%-25% and MSA is over 25%. At 15% the two areas need to agree that they are one CSA and the state has to approve of it, at 25% its automatically a CSA. At 25% MSA's have to be approved and above 25% its automatic.

They have redefined it as recent as last month, now at 15% two areas can be automatically merged to a CSA and no approvals are required. With that said, the bay finally has a chance to become 1 MSA with San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose and because of that merger, Stockton, Salinas, and Modesto will be joining the CSA.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Baltimore is closest to being a mega-city. It has the largest CSA in the south.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
CSA is a metro. The only difference is CSA takes 15%-25% and MSA is over 25%. At 15% the two areas need to agree that they are one CSA and the state has to approve of it, at 25% its automatically a CSA. At 25% MSA's have to be approved and above 25% its automatic.

They have redefined it as recent as last month, now at 15% two areas can be automatically merged to a CSA and no approvals are required. With that said, the bay finally has a chance to become 1 MSA with San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose and because of that merger, Stockton, Salinas, and Modesto will be joining the CSA.
I know how CSA's and MSA's are calculated and I stand by that it is not a metro. That's a combined statistical area. The METROpolitan statistical area gives the true size. What's to stop the entirety of NorCal from calling itself a metro just because they've reached a 15% threshold? I agree that San Francisco-San Jose-and Oakland should be one. But to add Modesto and Stockton is ridiculous.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I know how CSA's and MSA's are calculated and I stand by that it is not a metro.
Your entitled to your opinion
Quote:
The METROpolitan statistical area gives the true size.
So you're saying a place like Dallas, Miami, Phily, or even Boston feel larger and are larger than a place like the bay?
Quote:
That's a combined statistical area.
Another word to describe CSA is megapolitan area. Not to be confused with a megalopolis, they are distinct.

Hierarchy is city, metro/MSA, megapolitan/CSA, megalopolis, and mega region.
Quote:
What's to stop the entirety of NorCal from calling itself a metro just because they've reached a 15% threshold?.
Good question, simple solution. The rest of NorCal will never have the commuters to join the bay. Let's be more realistic here, NorCal is a mega region in the making not a megapolitan/CSA.
Quote:
I agree that San Francisco-San Jose-and Oakland should be one.
Hopefully it will happen this time because approvals are no longer needed.
Quote:
But to add Modesto and Stockton is ridiculous.
Stockton is exurban area of the bay, Modesto is further down the line, I agree but its becoming the Riverside to the bay just as Stockton is becoming the San Bernardino of the bay.

The country and world continue to evolve, small areas are a thing of the past. With the rise of metropolitans, it made cities a thing of the past, just as the rise of megapolitans is making metropolitans a thing of the past. The world is quickly moving into a state where cities have enormous footprints, for practical purposes. Out in the west, we have embraced it.

http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/h...gapolitans.pdf

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
DC has more in common culturally with cities like New York and Philly than it does with the Big 4 southern cities of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. If you are one of those posters that "live and die" for the Mason-Dixon Line approach than this debate won't last long.
Listen guy, I don't really care about your mason dixon talk. That's something some of the primitive easterners worry their lives over. In the west we go by official designations and they say DC is in the south.
Quote:
I could seriously care less about what world class cities Philly has to be next to in order to have importance as you ridiculously claimed. It's nice to see you weren't hesitant at all to bash Philly in your last sentence.
Keep looking for it.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-06-2012 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Quote:
But that wasn't the question. The question was which of the major cities in the South will join the megacity list. Not take over.
Either way, the answer's still the same for me lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.