Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
About five months ago I moved from Long Island to Arizona. I noticed many posters here have been discussing the topics of whether they'd stay on Long Island or not. Let me tell you that Arizona is amazing compared to Long Island. The weather is perfect 8 months of the year. Constant sunshine, comfortable dry heat. No more hot and sticky humid summers with mosquitoes, no more freezing, snowy winters. Everything in Phoenix is new and modern, you can get a newer, bigger, more stylish house for half the price of the average home on Long Island. Gorgeous palm trees, easy access to mountains which is great for hiking and mountain biking. No more NYC congestion and the state speed limit is 85mph. Taxes are lower and the schools are good. The authentic Mexican food is delicious and is much better and healthier than pizza and bagels. Arizona provides a healthy, active lifestyle Long Island is lacking. Sedona is a beautiful resort city to visit. Also Phoenix is within a few hours driving distance to SoCal for the beach, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon. I can easily go to Los Angeles if I want big, cosmopolitan city life or San Diego which is America's finest city. There are many microclimates if one wants to get away from the heat. You can even go skiing in the mountains in Arizona or California. It seems that everyone who leaves Long Island moves to Florida, North Carolina, or South Carolina and many people aren't pleased. Forget the southeast and move to the wild wild west if you need a break from Long Island. The western United States is where it's at in terms of QOL.
Since I think LI would be so much nicer if 20% of the population moved off, glad you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liguy1202 View Post
since i think li would be so much nicer if 20% of the population moved off, glad you left.
:d

Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
If it weren't for the heat, the palm trees, the cheap construction, the obsession with modernity, the overpopulation of a waterless desert, the desert, and everything else, I would have to agree 100% with the OP.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If it weren't for the heat, the palm trees, the cheap construction, the obsession with modernity, the overpopulation of a waterless desert, the desert, and everything else, I would have to agree 100% with the OP.
And ABQ is so different? Cold winters and no palm trees aside, what's the difference? The suburbs growing around ABQ are just like PHX's and if you haven't noticed you're in a desert too.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
How is the beaches, fishing and boating out there in Arizonia compared to New York?
Good! There's a lot of boat ownership in PHX for the 7 large lakes surrounding PHX. If not fishing the lakes, you can fish the Salt and Verde Rivers on the east side of town. Beaches, no. Just sandy shores along the lakes.

An hour from downtown is the forest with several trout streams up on the Mogollon rim, some mountain lakes up there too.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Good! There's a lot of boat ownership in PHX for the 7 large lakes surrounding PHX. If not fishing the lakes, you can fish the Salt and Verde Rivers on the east side of town. Beaches, no. Just sandy shores along the lakes.

An hour from downtown is the forest with several trout streams up on the Mogollon rim, some mountain lakes up there too.
Hmmm, if boating is good because of just seven large lakes, I wonder what New York with seven thousand lakes would be?

Not to mention Lake Champlain, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Long Island Sound. Oh and the Atlantic Ocean. And rivers and canals that connect them all. New York State Canals

All kidding aside, because of your post I was looking for lakes in Arizona --- more than I thought. But when it comes to water, I do not think Arizona can compete with New York.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hmmm, if boating is good because of just seven large lakes, I wonder what New York with seven thousand lakes would be?

Not to mention Lake Champlain, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Long Island Sound. Oh and the Atlantic Ocean. And rivers and canals that connect them all. New York State Canals

All kidding aside, because of your post I was looking for lakes in Arizona --- more than I thought. But when it comes to water, I do not think Arizona can compete with New York.
Agreed, however it's no Sahara.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
About five months ago I moved from Long Island to Arizona. I noticed many posters here have been discussing the topics of whether they'd stay on Long Island or not. Let me tell you that Arizona is amazing compared to Long Island. The weather is perfect 8 months of the year. Constant sunshine, comfortable dry heat. No more hot and sticky humid summers with mosquitoes, no more freezing, snowy winters. Everything in Phoenix is new and modern, you can get a newer, bigger, more stylish house for half the price of the average home on Long Island. Gorgeous palm trees, easy access to mountains which is great for hiking and mountain biking. No more NYC congestion and the state speed limit is 85mph. Taxes are lower and the schools are good. The authentic Mexican food is delicious and is much better and healthier than pizza and bagels. Arizona provides a healthy, active lifestyle Long Island is lacking. Sedona is a beautiful resort city to visit. Also Phoenix is within a few hours driving distance to SoCal for the beach, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon. I can easily go to Los Angeles if I want big, cosmopolitan city life or San Diego which is America's finest city. There are many microclimates if one wants to get away from the heat. You can even go skiing in the mountains in Arizona or California. It seems that everyone who leaves Long Island moves to Florida, North Carolina, or South Carolina and many people aren't pleased. Forget the southeast and move to the wild wild west if you need a break from Long Island. The western United States is where it's at in terms of QOL.
That's nice. Have fun in your desert. The poor poor Colorado River. I weep for it.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
never been in that area of the country, but I really want to visit New Mexico/Arizona. especially for the mexican food

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
And ABQ is so different? Cold winters and no palm trees aside, what's the difference? The suburbs growing around ABQ are just like PHX's and if you haven't noticed you're in a desert too.
Reviewing my post, I fail to find where I said I loved living in a desert or was a fan of the growing suburbs around here (well, they haven't been growing too much lately).

Many of the things I do like about the greater Albuquerque area are absent in the Phoenix area which is one reason I live here and not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.