Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Personally I get that feeling more when I'm driving through open lush countryside or heavily wooded areas (that is really my favorite, especially during the Fall). Driving in an open flat desert to me would make me feel like I was the sole survivor of a nuclear apocalypse or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Doesn't LI have one of the worst (and lowest paying) job markets in the country, amid sky high cost of living?

Admittedly, AZ has low salaries, however, people in glass houses....

New York State has been losing businesses for decades. NYS is consistantly ranked as the worst state for business.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
But, the taxes, how do people on LI afford those taxes and after retirement (unless a great pension)? Machine guns in churches? Never heard or saw that one!

In New York, law abiding citizens cannot own a gun but criminals with guns are all over New York City.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
It seems that everyone who leaves Long Island moves to Florida, North Carolina, or South Carolina and many people aren't pleased. Forget the southeast and move to the wild wild west if you need a break from Long Island. The western United States is where it's at in terms of QOL.
It's all what you want, I suppose. I am no fan of Phoenix or Tucson. Flying into PHX and all that brown dirt seen from the plane window is depressing. I'd take Atlanta to Phoenix, easily. 90 and humid trumps 110 and dry. The only problem with the South is that a transplant might not be able to break into the ranks of the "good ole boy" network, but that's not as pronounced as it used to be. I'd also take Florida if you love taking a swim in a turquoise ocean with negligible waves. It sounds like you've found your spot. I know more than a few people who have moved to Las Vegas from both coasts, lived FAR from the tackiness of the Strip, and did not like the city and the SW desert lifestyle at all.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:59 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
In New York, law abiding citizens cannot own a gun but criminals with guns are all over New York City.
Great post.
Explain me why Arizona and Phoenix have a higher murder/homicide/crime rate than NYS and NYC.
P.S. Where do you live?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
My point wasn't about gun control, licensing, any of that, just that people in AZ don't carry machine guns into churches. Well, maybe a few of the granny's do underneath their coats.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Where did you get this nonsense from? Maybe in NYC, but that's not true of the rest of the state.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did you get this nonsense from? Maybe in NYC, but that's not true of the rest of the state.

Try getting a handgun permit in NYS.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Try getting a handgun permit in NYS.
You can get one, just lay off the Meth and bath salts. It can't be that hard considering that there are about 4 or 5 gun clubs in the Ithaca area and it depends on many factors. There are people in Upstate NY that just about arsenals in their homes.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
About five months ago I moved from Long Island to Arizona. I noticed many posters here have been discussing the topics of whether they'd stay on Long Island or not. Let me tell you that Arizona is amazing compared to Long Island. The weather is perfect 8 months of the year. Constant sunshine, comfortable dry heat. No more hot and sticky humid summers with mosquitoes, no more freezing, snowy winters. Everything in Phoenix is new and modern, you can get a newer, bigger, more stylish house for half the price of the average home on Long Island. Gorgeous palm trees, easy access to mountains which is great for hiking and mountain biking. No more NYC congestion and the state speed limit is 85mph. Taxes are lower and the schools are good. The authentic Mexican food is delicious and is much better and healthier than pizza and bagels. Arizona provides a healthy, active lifestyle Long Island is lacking. Sedona is a beautiful resort city to visit. Also Phoenix is within a few hours driving distance to SoCal for the beach, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon. I can easily go to Los Angeles if I want big, cosmopolitan city life or San Diego which is America's finest city. There are many microclimates if one wants to get away from the heat. You can even go skiing in the mountains in Arizona or California. It seems that everyone who leaves Long Island moves to Florida, North Carolina, or South Carolina and many people aren't pleased. Forget the southeast and move to the wild wild west if you need a break from Long Island. The western United States is where it's at in terms of QOL.

No thanks.

Politics alone would keep me far from Arizona. Its far too transient, conservative, un-urban and cookie cutter for my tastes. Tons of white trash and drug problems too.

The water is terrible as well.

Theres more to deciding where to live than just warm weather dude, and it seems like thats the trend up here. Nobody pays attention to anything else.

Enjoy those "good schools" while your kids are learning creationism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.