Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times

Advertisements

To try to answer to OP's question, Birmingham, AL.

Metro population 1.1-1.2 million, vast majority are native southerners.

Not being overrun or invaded by "yankees" (I wonder why is this such a bad thing in the first place?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Well, Sorry To Muddle Up Your Day, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugamola View Post
No we are not happy that you are coming down in masses. The truth is that we don't want you down here.
I took a piece of a post from the ever-informative TexReb (who drops knowledge like rain, and I love it) to illustrate my point:

I can tell you from over a half-century of experience, that if a northerner moves down here and makes an honest effort to assimilate, then they will find no friendlier place on earth. In fact, I have found many northerners who do just that, later become some of the fiercest partisans of dear ol' Dixie. (That "new convert" syndrome, I suppose! LOL), and declare they would never move back up north.

On the other hand, if a northerner comes down and acts like a rude, obxoxious, and fault-finding "damyankee"? Then it is very understandable why they will be treated like one. It is up to transplants to adapt to our ways, not the other way around.

If I were to move to the South, I would be exactly like the 'northerners' he describes in the first few lines, and definitely UNLIKE those he talks about in the 2nd (the faultfinders...I would be more than willing to adapt to a/my 'new home')

Ladies and gentlemen, the American Civil War was fought between 1861 and 1865...it ripped the s**t out of this country in a way nothing else has, and to judge by reading some of the posts here, still causes division to this day...which is why I say, enough of this 'Yankee-redneck-alleged air of superiority-we don't want you down here' bulls**t

Aren't ther more important things to worry about besides 'invading Yankees' and 'closed minded Southerners'? I mean, really, people?

Please don't take my words the wrong way, but it irritates the pure panther p**s out of me when I see posts like the one I responded to---as if he's gonna be sitting in a squad car at the entrance to the south, cradling a 12-gauge and checking people's papers

I am an adult, and an American citizen...and one thing I enjoy about BEING an American, is freedom---in this case, freedom to live where I please...I am NOT trying to fault-find on anyone else's place/culture, nor am I intrerested in trying to make where I'm GOING out to be like the place I'm LEAVING BEHIND...just trying to be a good neighbor, friend, and overall good person, the kind who would be welcomed anywhere

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I feel like I've gotten hassled by friends from the northeast more regularly for not liking bagels.
I haven't finished reading this thread, but I just had to post that you made me LOL with that comment . I think I'd be guilty of responding the same way if someone told me they didn't like bagels .

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Prior to having ever frequented online forums, I was honestly unaware that Civil War Era parochialism still exists to the extent that it does--it's embarrassing to see, frankly.

Luckily for me, though, I've never lived in a regional sociopolitical environment that maintains a post-war mentality of resentment and blatant chauvinism toward another domestic region.

In fairness, I don't think that any American born and raised west of the Mississippi river could ever possibly relate to these extreme examples of my region/ideology vs your region/ideology and what truly underlies it, but we can, however, wonder when the Yankees and Rebels are going to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
The title of the topic makes no sense because ALL Americans are Yankees according to people from the Caribbean..........

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The title of the topic makes no sense because ALL Americans are Yankees according to people from the Caribbean..........
Which is irrelevant because people from the Caribbean aren't who we're discussing.

And Maryland isn't southern, btw.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Prior to having ever frequented online forums, I was honestly unaware that Civil War Era parochialism still exists to the extent that it does--it's embarrassing to see, frankly.

Luckily for me, though, I've never lived in a regional sociopolitical environment that maintains a post-war mentality of resentment and blatant chauvinism toward another domestic region.

In fairness, I don't think that any American born and raised west of the Mississippi river could ever possibly relate to these extreme examples of my region/ideology vs your region/ideology and what truly underlies it, but we can, however, wonder when the Yankees and Rebels are going to join the rest of us in the 21st century.
Many of the most rabid "Rebels" are from Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas, so I don't know that I'd agree with that.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post

I always find that if you give the time machine you're riding in a couple of swift kicks to the side it will start right up and return you to 2013.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Many of the most rabid "Rebels" are from Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas, so I don't know that I'd agree with that.
When I refer to certain Southerners as modern-day "Rebels," I'm not merely referring to marginal pro-seccession political factions; rather, I'm referring to those Southerners who, not at all unlike their Northern "adversaries," promote a culture that continues to reinforce regional balkanization across social, political and cultural lines in a fashion similar to that of the Civil War era.

Also, I frankly couldn't agree that Texas represents this sort of Confederate/Rebel culture (you do have a point with LA and AR, however), and, minus Texas, AR and LA comprise a very small portion of the Western U.S.'s population. I suppose you've got me on a technicality, though...

And let's face it (in generalities, at least): the North hates the South every bit as much as the South hates the North. In my opinion, these two regions and the culture war mentality of their respective populations is a significant source of sociopolitical instability for this country as a whole.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I'm sorry, but coming from New England, Maryland IS slightly southern. It's the beginning of the South, but in a very mild way. But no, the culture isn't really all that southern. MD is definitely NOT part of the Northeast though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.