Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsat View Post
My husband and I moved to Columbia TN from Washington DC. Columbia is 45 minutes south of Nashville, so culture is within reach. We looked in East Nashville and decided the prices had gone too high for what you got. We live in a 1905 gorgeous American Four-Square (3200 sq ft) on a cute historic street near the town square. The price was half of what the same house in East Nashville would command. I do miss my Starbucks, but I love the older rural folks I've met, the beautiful countryside, and the antics of local small-town government.
Hey, I'm glad at least someone loves the place, because I don't. I'm currently trying to see how long my family can tolerate me not visiting them. I'm getting close to a year. Although, i would sort of like to see the Spring Hill train wreck in person.

I don't like small towns because there's people that have nothing better to do than gossip about the rest of the people in the small town. I like to deceive myself into thinking that Chicago is a place where I can roam around in anonymity, which i generally can do, although sometimes I do wind up running into people I know randomly.

Also, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had to go back to driving 5-10 miles just to get to a grocery store, let alone anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Hey, I'm glad at least someone loves the place, because I don't. I'm currently trying to see how long my family can tolerate me not visiting them. I'm getting close to a year. Although, i would sort of like to see the Spring Hill train wreck in person.

I don't like small towns because there's people that have nothing better to do than gossip about the rest of the people in the small town. I like to deceive myself into thinking that Chicago is a place where I can roam around in anonymity, which i generally can do, although sometimes I do wind up running into people I know randomly.

Also, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had to go back to driving 5-10 miles just to get to a grocery store, let alone anything else.
Try New England. You can be a famous person in most of New England including rural New England and still retain your privacy. I don't think it is possible to get away from gossipy people completely regardless of the region or size of the community but at least in the New England states, if you want your space, you'll have it. I've lived in some metro areas like Kansas City where I've found people to be more gossipy than rural New England.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Try New England. You can be a famous person in most of New England including rural New England and still retain your privacy. I don't think it is possible to get away from gossipy people completely regardless of the region or size of the community but at least in the New England states, if you want your space, you'll have it. I've lived in some metro areas like Kansas City where I've found people to be more gossipy than rural New England.
I don't want space. I like having everything I could possibly want at my fingertips. Literally. There's even a dentist and eye doctor literally two blocks away.

I just don't like small towns.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I don't want space. I like having everything I could possibly want at my fingertips. Literally. There's even a dentist and eye doctor literally two blocks away.

I just don't like small towns.
Poorly phrased response on my part. By having space I mean you can live in either in an urban area or rural area and find that anonymity that you desire. People won't get in your face or attempt to insinuate themselves into your life if you are a private person. But if you already have that in Chicago then there is no need to make any change.

Example: Katherine Hepburn spent most of her life in the Connecticut town of Old Saybrook. She used to shop at the local stores and wander around town and nobody every bothered her other than to perhaps say "hello". Celebrities that live in many places of the country don't have that kind of privacy. Steven King lives near Bangor, Maine and nobody bothers him.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asassyvic View Post
Amen, darstar. I never gave that any thought either. I find that really sad. I personally don't like Walmart and they do start moving those low prices up at a slow but steady rate. I sometimes find the same items at Target or Walgreens cheaper. They just have everyone convinced that they have the lowest prices. And in some areas they have driven out so many stores so they are the only place to shop.
They also drive me nuts with the way they cut down on the variety of brands they keep cutting it down. The have cut the frozen treats, Sare Lee, etc to one small area and increased frozen pizza to the entire length of the frozen aisle. Or you buy something then they quit carrying it. Sigh. Where I live there is only Walmart and a much further drive for Meijers or Krogers.
I don't think what's happened with Walmart is what Sam had in mind. It was a very different operation and store when he was alive.
Your company store comparison is right on.
For all the reasons , I stay away from Walmart. I find it is not hard at all to do ether. Yes , I do visit Target, and Shopco , ....and try to patronize the local places as well....... All this , and , in the outback of the UP of Michigan. I like a small town , but , big enough to have choices. Thats why I picked Marquette as a retirement place , not too big , and not so small that I find wanting for things I need..........A big city fix is only 45 min. away , by plane, thats close enough to Chicago , for a twice a year visit.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I pick a small town near a big city.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM

271 posts, read 583,054 times
Midsize town 2500-20,000 people tops, i like the small town feel, low crime, not having to lock my doors, my kids are safe outside or at the park just like it better than a huge city.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I prefer big city and major metro areas of 5 million plus or more. I also like density the most. I absolutely love the old brownstone or rowhouses that is common in the Northeast. The amenities that the big city has to offer draws me in. Love the diversity and the culture that you see in big cities that you wouldn't see in small cities. I grew up in an area that is around 300,000 and left and have not looked back. I love the crowds, I love the noise (it's like urban music), I love the chaos that is common with a city.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
I prefer a big city. I need to have options; I feel trapped if I do not have a variety of them at my feet.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Without a doubt......small town.....but living in the country.

more unspoiled land

quiet

prettier

no cookie cutter homes

less traffic

long-range views as opposed to being "fenced in"

no pollution

gossip..You'll find that everywhere because people are just people. You know, they're no better than a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.