Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say they ruined cities but they definitely changed their flavor. NYC used to have a much larger, more vibrant middle and working class. Yuppies/hipsters alone aren't responsible for the demise of those middle and working class neighborhoods/communities, but they sure as hell contributed to the wealth disparities that you see in the city today. Nowadays, you'll find more of those "real" New Yorkers in the burbs or Florida than in NYC itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Haven't really heard about the yuppies getting to Texas yet, can any of you Texans elaborate?
I have lived in Texas for twenty years, and have traveled extensively throughout the US (I was a corporate trainer for a nationwide company for many years). Believe me - yuppies are the same everywhere. The only difference between Texas yuppies and the others is that Texas yuppies like Lyle Lovett.

(Actually I like Lyle Lovett too...but it's hard not to. He's a state treasure!)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what u call vibe and atmosphere can be found on beal st memphis at 3 am. whether that is disneyland or not depends on whether u r an alcoholic a mugger or a cop.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
all that hard-earned rent money people
were paying for the last 30 years made
it easier for the yuppies to buy up the city
and stay, while the regular working people
have to find somewhere else to live.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Most US major cities, except, for those in real trouble, like Detroit, have been "ruined" by Yuppies, but, answer to the OP's question? I would say, SF, Portland, OR and NYC, could be the answer, to the ?, equally.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, it does. Get out and see the world a bit rather than sitting in snarky judgement.
Ok I guess poor people moving to wealthy neighborhoods is a common thing in America. Obviously they're not poor anymore if that happens, you know that right?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Haven't really heard about the yuppies getting to Texas yet, can any of you Texans elaborate?
Have you ever even been here?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Have you ever even been here?
No, and I don't know too many people out that way either, so input would definitely be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do people really think that Yuppies and Hipsters are the same thing or similar? Lol.

I would think people would be more concerned with murderes and child molestors instead of complaining about yuppies.
That's what I was thinking. Oh well, back to the program.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Portland is still a good city. In fact I think hipsters have improved it. If the old Portland is anything like North Portland or East Portland, gimme the new!
I keep trying to determine what you mean by this. My best friend grew up in North Portland. She is 53 years old. Her neighborhood was pretty nice. Across from her after the Banfield was created the neighborhoods were even nicer. Really pretty homes. Another friend lives there in a family home where he grew up. He is in his late 40's. There was a run down section which has since been improved. But that didn't make up all of North Portland.

The University of Portland is in North Portland. It is a beautiful neighborhood.

East Portland was kind of an empty space. It was considered rural. Around parts if 82nd where I lived for a time it wasn't all that great. It still isn't. Unfortunately, many people who had to move from other neighborhoods like SE Portland were pushed out farther and farther while the neigbhorhoods close in became more and more expensive. So East Portland is not a great place to live.

I doubt that hipsters brought in the bars and restaurants you mentioned. Most of the ones I see look pretty poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.