Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Portland, Oregon most definitely.
Why do people continue to say Portland is a desirable place for yuppies? What is so special about it?

Im a Young urban professional, and Portland never crossed my mind.

Also, why do people think Yuppies ruin cities ? If anything they make cities better because they help keep the city gentrified and progressing.

People are just jealous they can't be young and well off so they try and make it seem like they ruin places instead, when thats just an excuse.

The reality is , if they could trade places with them they would do it in a heart beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjnyc View Post
That's a good point. NYC did not need to be reinvigorated. It used to be a vibrant, livable, affordable city, albeit seedier here and there. But there was a mixture of classes, cultures-even in Manhattan.
You are right it didn't need to be reinvigorated, but it goes back to the simple rule of Supply & Demand. NYC is a city with high demand , so therefore the costs the prices of real estate go up. But with that comes a lot of great things like I previous said, it makes the city even more vibrant, livable, interesting and more well kept. Money makes everything better especially when it comes to talking about a cities future .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

You can spot the posters who grew up in nice neighborhoods--they're the ones complaining about the lack of flavor and character in formerly dumpy areas. Had they grown up in one of them, perhaps they'd sing a different tune.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood during a particularly rough era (Highland Park, early 90's) and let me just say--I love the way it has cleaned up over the years. It's still majority Hispanic, still has tons of character, but is far less dangerous and sketchy than it once was. It has drawn attention from hipsters and the artistic class over the years, they've only been a positive, so far.
This is actually one thing I can agree with you on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post

People are just jealous they can't be young and well off so they try and make it seem like they ruin places instead, when thats just an excuse.

The reality is , if they could trade places with them they would do it in a heart beat.
Been there, done that, wasn't overly impressed. I guess I'm too independent minded.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Been there, done that, wasn't overly impressed. I guess I'm too independent minded.
Typical excuse from someone who never achieved there goals at a young age.

Just like a sports team that makes an excuse why they had a bad year "it's not about winning"

But you know if that sports team had a shot at first place and being number 1 they would do it in a heart beat.

Same goes with people they make it seem like they wouldn't wanna be well off and live the life of there dreams.

But I know very well if you were to be offered being well off and live the life of your dreams, you would take it in a heart beat.

Eventually people who never reach there goals, simply just talk bad about being well off , and doing everything you love is a bad thing.

Just like people who are unsuccessful people try and discourage others from being successful.

Just because they weren't successful they have to try talking others down into being successful, and so they envy it.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
Quote:

Just like a sports team that makes an excuse why they had a bad year "it's not about winning"

But you know if that sports team had a shot at first place and being number 1 they would do it in a heart beat.

Same goes with people they make it seem like they wouldn't wanna be well off and live the life of there dreams.

But I know very well if you were to be offered being well off and live the life of your dreams, you would take it in a heart beat.

Eventually people who never reach there goals, simply just talk bad about being well off , and doing everything you love is a bad thing.

Just like people who are unsuccessful people try and discourage others from being successful.

Just because they weren't successful they have to try talking others down into being successful, and so they envy it.
If success means you get to hang around people like this, my new goal in life is to fail miserably.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
If success means you get to hang around people like this, my new goal in life is to fail miserably.
"Winners find a way , losers find an excuse "

Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
it's interesting to see San Francisco on here a few times, when my hometown (Santa Rosa, CA) was ruined by San Francisco-er's leaving their home town for mine. the influx of LA people to San Fran made San Fran'ers move north. it's like a domino effect.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
it's interesting to see San Francisco on here a few times, when my hometown (Santa Rosa, CA) was ruined by San Francisco-er's leaving their home town for mine. the influx of LA people to San Fran made San Fran'ers move north. it's like a domino effect.
I see you're in Pahrump now. I lived in Vegas for a while. How do folks there feel about all the commuters that moved in? Pahrump used to be the dark side of the moon, well out of reasonable commuting distance.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Considering a yuppies usual line of work, how successful can he be if he doesn't know the difference between their and there?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,166,297 times
I don't really think yuppies are that much to complain about when taking in the larger scope of problems at hand. I do think they do good sometimes but I definitely have qualms as well.

For example, Charlestown in Boston has been very "yuppified" over the years and a few years ago said group of people tried to basically have the USS Constitution Navy Yard, a historical landmark, shut down because it was too noisy.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Quote:

Only if their goals and metric of success is based on materialism. Different strokes for different folks. I've had to live in suburbia and downtowns, and it just didn't do it for me. Flashy cars, coffee, conversations about 401Ks, just bored me to death. I prefer the rural life, horses over cars, neighbors that have things in common. Not jealousy of the rat race. I would rather be in my town 30 years ago when the marina was a fishing establishment--fish, bait and tackle; now it's sailboats, wine and kayaks. Just no appeal to me. I imagine, though, that the jealousy thought makes those chasing the dollar feel better, assuming everyone wants to be like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.