Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM

324 posts, read 877,160 times

Advertisements

I personally have not met any "bored financially successful" people.
I have met poor people that like to say things like "financially successful people are bored."

People with money have a choice. They can live in rural secluded areas away from upscale amenities or they can live in a nice urban high rise.

If you want something to complain about, ask yourself why lower income folks don't create safe, pleasant communities for each other.

Communities that rely on its residences for support, sustainability and entertainment which in turn ensures authenticity and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,565 times
There's actually a thread about Young Urban Professionals (Yuppies) RUINING Cities ?????

From 1960-1990 saw a mass exodus of urban professionals to the suburbs. We should encourage Yuppies in cities... people who actually contribute rather than the alternative of letting the city rot as they fence themselves off in their suburban fantasy world.

Hipsters...different story entirely.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,631,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Washington DC.
Including the entire surrounding metro areas of Maryland and Northern Virginia.

I was born there, grew up there, by the late 1980's, couldn't wait to get out of there. Couldn't afford the lifestyle, didn't want to spend my life working/commuting for the lifestyle, couldn't breathe in all the yuppie materialism.

I have a family member and a good friend still living there. If I do go visit, which I prefer to do very rarely, I can feel my chest start to tighten the closer I get to I-495. When I leave, I breathe a sigh of relief the farther I get away and leave it behind. Not for everyone, I guess.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
New York and Toronto. Big time.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,667 times
Yuppies actually help cities - at least until a certain point. Cities with a ton of yuppies would probably be San Francisco, DC, NYC, Portland, Seattle, and possibly Boston and parts of Philadelphia.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM

486 posts, read 863,019 times
A few weeks ago I went to a Yuppie neighborhood and was very surprised when we went into an independent
shop that had cloths, purses, (I was with a friend & she likes to shop so I just looked) blah, blah, Anyway,
I saw the you know whos bring their dogs inside these stores and through the restaurants onto the patio.
Now I understand bringing dogs to help those who are disabled but these were the yuppies with their
children too bringing their other children (the dogs) with them...What the fanabiliy? I didn't think this
was allowed and the last thing I expect is to step in dog crap when I walk into a shop! Then I read on CD
about Yuppie moms not using diapers and letting these babies just pee and poop whenever they have to go
(they put bowls around the place).

Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
If you think Portland has been ruined by yuppies, then you haven't been to Seattle.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Yuppies actually help cities - at least until a certain point. Cities with a ton of yuppies would probably be San Francisco, DC, NYC, Portland, Seattle, and possibly Boston and parts of Philadelphia.
To be honest, SF, Seattle, and Portland were cities that didn't need the "help" of yuppies. Those cities were more authentic, integrated, welcoming, friendly, and affordable prior to the yuppie era.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
To be honest, SF, Seattle, and Portland were cities that didn't need the "help" of yuppies. Those cities were more authentic, integrated, welcoming, friendly, and affordable prior to the yuppie era.
Yeah. I dreamed of moving to SF as a teenager. By my mid 20s the dream was dead, and not just because the rent skyrocketed.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM

486 posts, read 863,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
It's happening in Chicago too. The statement above summarizes it exactly. Not a friendly
discussion on CD on that thread. Really don't understand their lack of desire to at least
try to see something different and understand what the areas were like before: integrated,
welcoming, affordable..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.