Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times

Advertisements

How do Hipsters and yuppies come to be hipsters and yuppies?

I mean doesn't yuppie mean "young urban professional". I feel like that describes a lot of people out there. Pretty much every one between the ages 22-40 who went to college could be considered that?

I also agree that where there are a lot of yuppies there will be a lot of hipsters and vice versa.

While hipsters may appear broke, most of the ones I know come from wealthy families and probably mommy and daddy still pay their bills.

Also my votes goes for Boston. RUINED. Hipster and yuppie culture is the only culture here now. Middle class have been priced out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
What is a DINK?
DINK- double income, no kids.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
What is a DINK?
Double income, no kids.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
probably Manhattan(NYC has too much other stuff), SF, Seattle and Boston for the most part. DC, yuppies probably improved, b/c that city had serious issues...the others were pretty fine though before finance/tech booms.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM

130 posts, read 290,311 times
Seattle

Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

510 posts, read 888,839 times
Quote:

I mean doesn't yuppie mean "young urban professional". I feel like that describes a lot of people out there. Pretty much every one between the ages 22-40 who went to college could be considered that?

I also agree that where there are a lot of yuppies there will be a lot of hipsters and vice versa.

While hipsters may appear broke, most of the ones I know come from wealthy families and probably mommy and daddy still pay their bills.

Also my votes goes for Boston. RUINED. Hipster and yuppie culture is the only culture here now. Middle class have been priced out of the city.
Yeah, I think a city gets 'discovered' more by the hipsters and the entry level changing begins by them. Then they attract or turn into the yuppies. Like Seattle for example was the cool place for whatever hipsters were around of the time (the grunge folk) and they attracted poser grunge and some yuppies. Then overtime the hipsters started to turn into yuppies. But the hipsters and 'trendy cool kids' seem not to like the yuppies (corporatism) so they move on often. Kind of what happened to Portland, OR. Then newer crowd of 20's trendies didn't want to be around the 40 yo yuppies in Seattle so they are in Portland...turning into yuppies themselves. I've heard from a lot of the younger crowd that 'Seattle is a big has been' and 'Portland is like the new Seattle' so they are heading to Austin, TX.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
What happens is that creative artists (musicians, designers, writers, fine artists) find cheap, albeit rougher neighborhoods that allow them to ply their craft without material burdens.

A second wave then descends on these neighborhoods, most have a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit and provide services to the first group (Coffee houses, restaurants, cooperative ventures such as copy services, mailing services, food coops)

When the neighborhood starts to look safe and is still relatively affordable. Suburban college kids move in.

Next the Douchebags, notice-me-dammits and scenesters move in from the American Hinterlands. These suburban jackholes living on thier parents dole become urbanized and are known as Hipsters.

Yuppies decide the area is trendy, and start buying property and driving up the rents. While the neighborhood is now clean, the many of the original creative types cannot afford to live there anymore, move out and the neighborhood loses its soul.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
I think it's ridiculous to despise hipsters and yuppies that were once hipsters. Obviously a lot of hipsters become yuppies, because most of them are educated and intelligent and aspire for higher-class jobs. "Hipster/yuppie" are terms for jealous whiners to describe people who are privileged and (usually) successful, cause little to no crime, clean up after themselves, and improve every area they enter.

I'll take a hipster or yuppie in my city over a junkie, hoodrat, or uneducated slacker anyday. Don't like them? Then enjoy living in backwater slums or mediocre towns for the unsuccessful.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM

506 posts, read 958,160 times
Seattle is never being taken over by Yuppies. Hippies and liberal minded people from around the country move to Seattle (as well as other areas of western WA) to live and do weird hippy stuff. The Yuppies mainly live in Bellevue were they renovated it and work at Microsoft or Boeing.

The Portlandians are just pressed that they are not on par with WA, and not as "liberal."

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
The Portlandians are just pressed that they are not on par with WA, and not as "liberal."
No, no one really cares that much... Portland is as liberal as anywhere in Washington, it's Oregon that's not as liberal as everyone thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.