Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
I seriously dont think some of the states you selected would be HUGE culture shock. A slight culture shock? yes. Compelete culture shock? no. St.Louis for example has a italian population of 7% and is known for its large variety of european culture. Chicago, cleveland, cincinnati, philadelphia, milwaukee are like this as well
Don't lump a northeastern like Philadelphia with those Midwestern cities that have completely different culture. The OP said Philadelphia would not be culture shock because of the similar northeastern culture. He then said anything south of and west of Philadelphia (including much of PA) would be culture shock to a New Englander (with the exception of the non-northeast states the OP didn't have yellow on the map in the original post). The northeast is heavily Italian and very different from the midwest. There's not a coincidence that New York, Philadelphia and Boston are 1, 2 and 3 in order of Italian American metro populations in the US (with NYC and Philly being 1 and 2 when it comes Italian American city proper populations). Midwestern cities like Chicago and Cleveland have a sizeable Italian population but their eastern European ethnic groups make up a much larger percentage of their population which is one of the reasons why there is such a difference between the northeast and Midwest. The northeast is generally Italian, Irish and Jewish and it seems like the Midwest is mostly German, Polish and Irish.
Here is a breakdown of Italian American populations
www.osia.org/documents/IA_Profile.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Yeah, New England is a very White/Anglo region(with the exception of big cities like Boston, Hartford, and Bridgeport). I don't think the culture shock a New Englander would experience would come from the Conservative politics of the South, and Southwest, but it would rather come from the number of Non-Whites that live in both regions. They might feel more comfortable in the Midwest.

But the average New Englander probably isn't acquainted with Mexican culture that the Southwest would present. And then the South/Southeast is the Blackest region in the US, so that's another culture they may not be acquainted with. They might not even feel comfortable in a Liberal state like CA because of it's large non-White population. The PNW seems like a good matching region for NE though.

So all in all, I think the culture shock might be more race-based rather than politically based.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
My wife's family from New England asks the weirdest questions when they visit Arizona. Having gone to visit them in NE, I would say that that's the most opposite region from the Southwest.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It you experience "culture shock" visiting other states than your own, that's YOUR misfortune -- not the fault of the people or places you are visiting. It's telling that in this day and time, living in the digital age with access to so much information at our fingertips, that anybody would express "shock" visiting another place for the first time. Your attitude reeks of both ignorance and arrogance and isn't something I'd be bragging about on C-D.

Perhaps you're better off staying in Connecticut and mingling with your own kind?
I actually agree with much of what you're saying.

"Culture shock" is such an overhyped and usually misapplied concept. In all my travels, I've concluded that people are mostly very alike.

A few years ago, I moved from Houston to Atlanta. Not an ounce of "shock" was felt. And even visiting cities like Chicago, Pittsburgh, DC, etc. never gave me the sensation that I was in a different world than back home.

Clearly, I can recognize the markers of being in a different region, but many folks here are just outright exaggerating. And it seems that some are merely describing the pains associated with being homesick or relocating.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, New England is a very White/Anglo region(with the exception of big cities like Boston, Hartford, and Bridgeport). I don't think the culture shock a New Englander would experience would come from the Conservative politics of the South, and Southwest, but it would rather come from the number of Non-Whites that live in both regions. They might feel more comfortable in the Midwest.

But the average New Englander probably isn't acquainted with Mexican culture that the Southwest would present. And then the South/Southeast is the Blackest region in the US, so that's another culture they may not be acquainted with. They might not even feel comfortable in a Liberal state like CA because of it's large non-White population. The PNW seems like a good matching region for NE though.

So all in all, I think the culture shock might be more race-based rather than politically based.

Well I would say as a New Englander and currently spending some of the year in the Phoenix area. The culture shock is both race based and politics, that I am experiencing in Arizona. I am in a community/region that is so white, that it amazes me I am in the 5th largest city/metro in America.

The politics of the Phoenix area is definitely Republican politics, although the hispanic population is gaining some pull here I think. That brings some Democrat votes to the area. Still its politics and viewpoints as far as I'm concerned. Do not represent a cross section of a population that is from all over. It is very conservative and some rather controversial politics here. The control the viewpoints and politics has on a variety of topics here is abit much for me. I have to say that the very controversial Sherff Arpaio here, that has been in the national new a number of times. Concerning his method of law enforcement. Well I was shocked when I heard he is originally from Springfield, Mass. I never would have guessed he was a New Englander, at least at some point in his life.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
My wife's family from New England asks the weirdest questions when they visit Arizona. Having gone to visit them in NE, I would say that that's the most opposite region from the Southwest.
What types of questions?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Well I would say as a New Englander and currently spending some of the year in the Phoenix area. The culture shock is both race based and politics, that I am experiencing in Arizona. I am in a community/region that is so white, that it amazes me I am in the 5th largest city/metro in America.

The politics of the Phoenix area is definitely Republican politics, although the hispanic population is gaining some pull here I think. That brings some Democrat votes to the area. Still its politics and viewpoints as far as I'm concerned. Do not represent a cross section of a population that is from all over. It is very conservative and some rather controversial politics here. The control the viewpoints and politics has on a variety of topics here is abit much for me. I have to say that the very controversial Sherff Arpaio here, that has been in the national new a number of times. Concerning his method of law enforcement. Well I was shocked when I heard he is originally from Springfield, Mass. I never would have guessed he was a New Englander, at least at some point in his life.
Being so close to California you would think Arizona would be a more liberal state.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM

350 posts, read 847,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As a native New Yorker who has lived in New Mexico for the better part of two decades, I suggest that New Mexico would be a culture shock for a New Englander/Northeasterner on three fronts.

1. It is extremely White, middle-America (i.e. more like Minnesota meets Colorado than New England) in much of greater Albuquerque.

"It is extremely white".... What are you talking about?! You realize NM is one of only 4 states with a non-white majority right? Abq is only 42% white.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM

583 posts, read 884,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Based on my travels and conversations with people, as well as my personal experiences, I would say that all of the states colored in orange in the map below have caused me to experience a sensation of culture shock. Some states are more shocking than others, but these are the ones where I just felt a bit different in speech, appearance, custom or behavior compared to the people in that state. One time I had stopped in Delaware at an auto shop and the mechanic even said to me, "I knew ya had some yankee in ya!" To me, being from Connecticut, anything south of Philadelphia feels SOUTHERN. In fact, much of PA feels Midwestern/southern to a New Englander, even. All of those states in the Midwest feel different as well. Certainly a lot more accents compared to New England. And the ancestries are just different (a LOT less Italians to the point where it's super noticeable out in public).

All of the white (non colored) states seem to feel like minimal culture shock to a New Englander, at large. I had to guess with the states out west though. I have a feeling that CO might be a culture shock to a New Englander as well, but I just guessed on that one.

So, how accurate do you think my portrayal is? At least that's how it feels to me when travelling.
You should add Maryland/D.C. to your list, because that area acts more East Coast than American.

Except for a couple spots in Florida, you should feel out of place in that state, too. It's plenty Dixie. Outside of the Northeast states you marked in white, you should feel eyes watching you when you travel in the remaining white states, because those states do not appreciate northeast attitude, less'n you keep it in check. When a lane is ending, that's not a cue to run up in the lane as far as one can and jam over. When a car is trying to get on the highway, one is supposed to move over and let it on. When a price is fair, don't continue bargaining. Outside of the Northeast and a couple spots in Florida, pushiness will get you in trouble, sometimes, in deep trouble.

Pause a piece to hold the door for the next person.

New Mexico is very Hispanic. They deal simply and honestly. Best not to play city boy with them, either.

Remember, "We say grace. We say Ma'am. And if you ain't into that we don't give a damn."

Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What types of questions?
"Why is it called a creek or river if there's no water in it?"

"Were those Mexican people gangsters?"

"What do you do when it's hot out?"

"Is it hard living in such a red state?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.