Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think it's crazy that Honey Boo Boo was filmed just an hour or so away from the busiest airport in the world. Crazy to think about
Hey, believe it or not, there are hamlets within an hour or two of NYC that are home to the northeastern equivalent of those folks. They are more likely to be Catholic than Baptist, and they don't have the same accent, but they put ketchup on their spaghetti and eat road killed deer with the best of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Bush Snr wasn't from the South, and W was actually born in CT.
Bush senior is a tricky case because he moved to Texas midway through his career. He always wanted to claim to be a Texan/Southerner which I why I counted him, but it is a little tenuous. Bush junior made his whole political career in Texas, so I have no hesitancy counting him.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
People whose opinions are formed completely of others in different geographical locations by what they see on TV are not even worth bothering with. They are they the real ignoramuses.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 PM

145 posts, read 256,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hey, believe it or not, there are hamlets within an hour or two of NYC that are home to the northeastern equivalent of those folks. They are more likely to be Catholic than Baptist, and they don't have the same accent, but they put ketchup on their spaghetti and eat road killed deer with the best of them.
This is true. I live in one of those towns, and people don't think of CT having its redneck parts.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 AM

I don't think there is any state that doesn't have a redneck or good old boy part. I'm sure this isn't a Southern exclusivity.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think the Honey Boo Boo family are at heart very good people. I know they have used thier fame to help charaties for example. Do they lack some education and skills?? yes they do. Do they live an unhealthy lifestyle, well yea. The network is making a mint poking fun at them on that TV show, and people love watching it. Are there alot of people like them in the south, yes maybe but no more that you would find in the midwest either. I currently live in the south, and in the past lived in the midwest so I can say this with experience to back it up. Also redneck types do no harm, and if I had a choice of living next to Jon and Kate Gosslin, or Mama June and Sugar Bear I would choose the latter of the two couples. Give me rednecks any day over phoney uptight snobs.
I wholeheartedly agree you however my issue with "honey boo boo child rednecks" are that they contribute vey little to society and its betterment..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh it's definitely possible that honey boo boo and her family would be acting like this , even if there were no cameras. i would imagine that they've cleaned up a bit for the camera.

there's a huge % of southerners that are uptight and polite. then there's other subcultures -- rural black trailer parks, rural white appalachia, etc., that develop in isolation some really odd small-group behavior.
And then there are large groups of very normal, friendly, intelligent, and yes - even sophisticated and educated Southerners!

Yes, it's TRUE! We wear shoes, and read books, and some of us even drink wine out of real wine glasses and have even been (gasp) OUT OF THE STATE on vacation!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
People whose opinions are formed completely of others in different geographical locations by what they see on TV are not even worth bothering with. They are they the real ignoramuses.
It's often people's only exposure to places they've never been and never met anyone from, I'm sure even you have some opinions about a foreign country or two you got from television sources.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
What is so ironic is in most Southern states (Texas included) it is not legal to marry your 1st cousin.

In California there is no law against that.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's often people's only exposure to places they've never been and never met anyone from, I'm sure even you have some opinions about a foreign country or two you got from television sources.
Honestly, only about the geography but not the people. The only foreign countries I have been to are Canada and the UK. I had a good time in both and the people were nice so maybe you would say those are my opinions but those were first hand. Of the foreign people I have met who have visited or come to live here, I haven't judged them by their countries, but by how they acted.

Maybe it's because the city in which I live is, in my opinion, perceived so differently by non-residents from the way I see it because of the way it is portrayed in the media is the reason why I don't judge other places by reputation only. But that's a whole 'nother thread I'm not getting into here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.