Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

All of TV stereotypes people. Exaggerates...That's part of the supposed humor. NY'ers are all from Brooklyn & eat pizza all day, Southerners are a certain way, Californians a certain way. The list goes on. Reality TV is dumbed down garbage, most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
When I moved to Portland OR back in 1978, people here asked me if I knew anyone from the Mafia and sometimes would point their fingers at me as if they were shooting machine guns going ack-ack-ack. They asked about "The Mob." For Pete's sake that was well over fifty years ago. But Chicago has a stereotype too. Even today I hear stuff like that at times.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
What do you think about them? Let us know if you're a Southerner or not. And have they had a negative impact on perceptions of Southerners/stereotypes?
I am not a Southerner by birth, but spent my Junior High, HS and college years in Kentucky. So I am somewhat qualified.

One thing you don't see much in the media are what I call the "Educated Southerner", who might have got his undergrad degree at a 4 year college then went to grad school at the big state university (like Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc) or a bigger private uni like Emory or Vandy or Tulane.

These folks sometimes are, sometimes, actually somewhat bohemian and intellectual. They are the ones who support public broadcasting like KET in Kentucky (presumably othern Southern states have somilar things), libraries, etc.

Sometimes they are big sports fans (like that lawyer who was that big GA Bulldogs fan in Midnight in the Garden of Good And Evil), or sometimes not.

This "Educated Southerner" type you see a lot of in the literary world...they are the writers and the readers of the writers....that made the South such a literary powerhouse in the 20th century.

They also support the "bohemian college town oasis" that one sees down there. Places like Athens, Chapel Hill, perhaps others. Places and a scene that produced a lot of good pop music (Indigo Girls ...Decatur/Emery. Connels...from Carolina, B52s, REM...Athens, GA, Tom Petty...based in Gainsville, etc).

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
That being said, I think Duck Dynasty is a hoot!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
This is a global issue that happens to every region. People generalize based on stereotypes. This isn't a north/south issue at all.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Whenever I hear small-minded people mocking New Jersey I get so offended, and wish I could sit them down for a minute and tell them OHHHHH AYYYY FUGHEDDABAHDDIT OHHHHHHHHHH ASSORTED TYPES OF PASTA EYYYYYYYYY
LOL!

But for New Jerseyans like me, this doesn't even make sense. The Italians are newcomers to Jersey.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

462 posts, read 720,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Ever since Jerry Springer, but I just saw another one of those 'dumb southerners/hicks' reality show which was hilarious and so cheesy/obviously staged, and it got me noticing there are an awful lot of these shows that make fun of Southerners/rednecks. From Swamp People to Honey Boo Boo Child, it's like Southerners are one group you can have a laugh at the expense of without feeling guilty. They perpetuate a lot of ignorant stereotypes about the South, even if they contain some truth.

What do you think about them? Let us know if you're a Southerner or not. And have they had a negative impact on perceptions of Southerners/stereotypes?

Ignorance most certainly extends north of the Mason Dixon line if people believe everything they see on the 'History' channel lmao.
I like them, because they fool Northerners and Left Coasters into underestimating the region. Let them think the area is backwards and toothless while their space shuttles, medicine, computers, and nuclear arsenal come from some mystery location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.