Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've never met a New Yorkers or Philadelphian in real life that thinks like that so I wouldn't hold much to that. I don't dislike New Yorkers. Just the Giants.
Oh, I know. I have family in NYC.

Some do seem to like to remind everyone that the sun revolves around them, but I wouldn't suggest that is the prevailing mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
When I was living in New Hampshire, most people (yes, NH is very country) saw NYC as the big, bad city. I heard that attitude in some parts of northern Florida (in the rural areas). Atlanta, Richmond, Birmingham are far worse on a per capita basis, but you can never change their mindsets on that. People less informed about levels of crime throughout the country, especially in rural areas, will always seen NYC as the opposite of their small-town world. That is just the image that has been around for so long and that may be found among less informed individuals. It is what they see as the opposite of their "zone of safety." That is where the negative impression of New York comes from. That is what my personal experiences have suggested, especially among rural residents and those that never traveled.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
I have lived in the upper midwest, and I currently live in the south and I have heard negative things about northeasterners in both places. It is as others have stated the rushed aggressive attitudes that they preceive from the people of that region. Hollywierd is not helping either, TV shows like Jersey Shore, housewives, and the Sapranoes only strengthen the prevailing view of the yankee northeast as a place full of pushy rude aggresive and gaudy folks. The feelings against that region exist in the midwest for sure, but it is stronger here in the south for another reason. So many northeasterners move to southern states that they have overrun some areas, and some of these people complain about the south publically and call for it to be changed to accomadate them. This causes bad feelings and the attitudes toward the northeast only get worse. On the flip side many are also fascinated with the big cities of the east all over the nation. NYC and BOston are travel destinations that many long to see, and the fact that we have so many tv shows about life in the northeast lends to more of a "love-hate" relationship much of America has with its more urban/fast paced citizens in its northeast corner. As big and influencial as the northeast is, people will always have strong opinons about it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM

522 posts, read 622,641 times
I get a bit annoyed how dominant NYC tends to be so dominant in the cultural landscape. (Friends, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, Person of Interet, Elementary, Mad Men, The Carrie Diaries, Girls, etc. BTW I like some of these) But that's not necessarily NYCers fault. Also I've gotten annoyed at New Yorkers here, when I was Thomas R, because some of them seemed to nearly insist that NYC being superior to every place else was an inarguable fact like gravity.

IRL though I didn't have any problems with the New Yorkers I met. I imagine it's like any city and it has a mix of likeable or difficult people. It would be silly to judge someone just because they're from NYC. Unless we mean Manhattan, those people are jerks

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
I get a bit annoyed how dominant NYC tends to be so dominant in the cultural landscape. (Friends, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, Person of Interest, Elementary, Mad Men, The Carrie Diaries, Girls, etc. BTW I like some of these) But that's not necessarily NYCers fault. Also I've gotten annoyed at New Yorkers here, when I was Thomas R, because some of them seemed to nearly insist that NYC being superior to every place else was an inarguable fact like gravity.

IRL though I didn't have any problems with the New Yorkers I met. I imagine it's like any city and it has a mix of likeable or difficult people. It would be silly to judge someone just because they're from NYC. Unless we mean Manhattan, those people are jerks
It's just TV stereotypical like the idiots they show on "Portlandia" and people believe all Portlanders are like the people they see on the show.

Or the teens in "Clueless" Or the rich people in "Dallas" Or the Clampetts from the hills in "The Beverly Hillbillies" and so on. People believe in TV and movie stereotypes and the these media likes to perpetuate them.

I think bot NYC and LA probably come off the worst when it comes to being stereotyped with NYC in the lead.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
This can also be the view towards people from other parts of NY State, because people will hear NY and assume it is all similar to NYC. I think this is the case especially if you are a person of color, as again people assume that said person is from NYC, but you could grow up 3-4 hours away from there.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

630 posts, read 994,725 times
What's a New Yorker? They're diverse! They can be like handsome like Brad Pitt or good looking model type. You can have an innocent cute and young type that you'd could enjoy. Adam Sadler, Chris Rock, Trump, Joe Pesci, Al Pacino, Rob Reiner and others are from NY. You see, it's diverse types of people. You can simply take a NY person and put in Montana, and that person would be perfectly in place there. You can have your little sister and brother types or a nice kid next door types in all areas of NY. New Yorkers being different is a myth! Heck, you can have a drop dead blond, all american with sweat personality being from Brooklyn or the Bronx, really. She would fit really well in Malibu, Ca. Think young Cheryl Tiegs or Kate Upton.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:57 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This can also be the view towards people from other parts of NY State, because people will hear NY and assume it is all similar to NYC. I think this is the case especially if you are a person of color, as again people assume that said person is from NYC, but you could grow up 3-4 hours away from there.

People have no clue how diverse upstate is, dude.

There are tons of people upstate with downstate roots.

They fail to realize that, and that its cheaper up there, which means you can get better COL while still benefitting from living in NYS.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Because "I'm too busy and stressed out to be polite" is not a real excuse in my book.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
When I was living in New Hampshire, most people (yes, NH is very country) saw NYC as the big, bad city. I heard that attitude in some parts of northern Florida (in the rural areas). Atlanta, Richmond, Birmingham are far worse on a per capita basis, but you can never change their mindsets on that. People less informed about levels of crime throughout the country, especially in rural areas, will always seen NYC as the opposite of their small-town world. That is just the image that has been around for so long and that may be found among less informed individuals. It is what they see as the opposite of their "zone of safety." That is where the negative impression of New York comes from. That is what my personal experiences have suggested, especially among rural residents and those that never traveled.
Good description in the bolded. Listen, I grew up in NJ, thirty miles northwest of Manhattan. My parents rarely went to New York, and the only time I was ever there as a kid was on school trips to places like the UN. (We never did go to the Statue of Liberty, which I finally visited for the first time at age 31 when someone from Wisconsin wanted to see it.) When I started to work in the city and became enthralled with Manhattan at the age of 20, I bought my parents tickets to a Broadway play, thinking it was something they'd just never gotten a chance to do. They later said that they would have walked out because the language was so foul except that they knew how much I had paid for their ticket. The parking was expensive. The traffic was awful. Blah blah blah. Didn't do that again.

Anyway, my point is that you don't even have to go as far as New Hampshire to find the people to whom the city is outside their "zone of safety". When my daughter started school, I moved back to that same hometown to raise her in a place with family nearby and good schools, and again I realized how provincial these people were despite the fact that you can see Manhattan's skyline from the center of town. Most of the moms in my town were SAHMs to begin with, and most could not fathom that I commuted to the city every day. "You take the TRAIN? Every DAY? I could NEVER!"

For some people, that zone of safety is pretty limited. Yet, I've had coworkers who, for example, grew up on a farm in Indiana and decided after college that she wanted to work in Manhattan and packed up and moved all alone to NJ to give the city a shot. That's courage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.