Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM

778 posts, read 998,271 times

Advertisements

I dont know where the "greatest city in the world" stuff comes from either. Self-proclaimed. Nobody says it as much as NYC.

A lot of the greatest stuff ive experienced hasnt been in NYC.

I dont know what to do? Should I panic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Define Irony: a bunch of people talking about how much they hate how much new yorkers stereotype "outsiders" while simultaneously stereotyping New Yorkers left and right.

For the record; I think NYC has overstated greatness as well but it's pretty hard to deny that it is one of the most influential cities/regions in the nation and the world. There are obviously blowhards who think that this entitles them to poo-poo on everywhere else as inferior but that certainly doesn't seem to be all or even the majority of NYC area folks I've met.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Define Irony: a bunch of people talking about how much they hate how much new yorkers stereotype "outsiders" while simultaneously stereotyping New Yorkers left and right.

For the record; I think NYC has overstated greatness as well but it's pretty hard to deny that it is one of the most influential cities/regions in the nation and the world. There are obviously blowhards who think that this entitles them to poo-poo on everywhere else as inferior but that certainly doesn't seem to be all or even the majority of NYC area folks I've met.

The world isnt a perfect place.

I always hate when people point out youre complaining about other people complaining. What are we supposed to do about it? Just sit there and let it happen?

Heres the difference. Offensive vs defensive.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
I never heard any disdain for New Yorkers growing up on the West Coast and Canada.

People were more concerned with their own regional rivalries and stereotypes rather than worrying about people from New York. In Santa Cruz, California, people just hated the "Valleys" from San Jose over the hill or in Northern California some would have negative feelings about Southern Californians or in Oregon some people claim to dislike Californians and so on... In the Western US, New York is such a distant entity.

On the other hand, whenever I met someone from New York or that general area as a kid(before I had actually travelled to New York myself)--whether they were from the city itself or the Tri-State area--we always assumed they were extra hardcore and tough because they were from New York. And I had relatives from New York who would always tell us stories about what Brooklyn and the Bronx were like back in the day(1950s)--it always sounded like something out of a movie compared to our fairly suburban existance on the West Coast. Of course now days Manhattan seems to be filled with fairly suburban people from all over in many parts, but the rest of the boroughs still have that feel.

My grandma's 80-year-old boyfriend in Florida, is an ex-New York cop who has more colorful and enjoyable stories than I can reasonably believe often involving the Mafia, the cops the French Connection was based on, the Copacabana and so on. The one thing is though--you never want to really question the greatness of New York when talking to an old New Yorker. And I love New York--it's an amazing city, among my top 10 cities worldwide--however if it comes to pizza or bagels or the Cyclone roller coaster or whatever--you just smile and say--"Yeah, nothing compares to New York pizza. It must be the water!" I just don't bother arguing the fact that---well I've had good pizza all over the US--but I figure might as well just play to their own sensibilities....

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Hurricane Sandy should have proven that its no more tough/infallible today than anywhere else.

Older NYC? I can see.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM

506 posts, read 958,395 times
Idk, it seems that a lot of people have the same sentiment about the NW too. Maybe it's a "northern" thing?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM

552 posts, read 720,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Idk, it seems that a lot of people have the same sentiment about the NW too. Maybe it's a "northern" thing?
\
Only hipsters and enviro-nazis it seems.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself, which is partly why I made this thread. Sure, NYC and the urban part of the Northeast is generally fast paced, but out of the many people from NYC and other urban Northeastern cities I've met, I can probably count on one hand the number of people that actually met the stereotype. Some of the most awesome, good-hearted, and down to earth people that I have met have been New Yorkers, Bostonians, New Jersyans, and the like.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
I absolutely love New York. As a fellow Northeasterner, I do like to tweak New Yorkers a bit though. New York is arguably the best city in the world, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best at everything...which some New Yorkers tend to believe.

To counter this, I enjoy to prod them a bit (not in a mean/venomous way) to see the reaction.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
My grandma's 80-year-old boyfriend in Florida, is an ex-New York cop who has more colorful and enjoyable stories than I can reasonably believe often involving the Mafia, the cops the French Connection was based on, the Copacabana and so on.
Yea my uncle is originally from NYC and his dad was a cop back in the day. He told me some pretty ridiculous stories about how things used to go down in the 60-70s in NYC. It certainly isn't the same city in this regard (which is probably for the better by a pretty wide margin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.