Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Boston. Boston's downfall is not as obvious as some other places, but Boston is going downhill regardless. High school students in Massachusetts are 3 times as likely to leave the state compared to the national average. New England's cold weather and high cost of living are driving people out of the region. In colonial times, the Northeast was prosperous. But now, the Sunbelt is the place to be. The South and The West are the future.
Cold weather is driving people out of Boston? As one who spent many years growing up in FL and is now living comfortably and prosperously in MN, I'm here to tell you not everyone shares your weather-trumps-all view of where the good life can be found!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
In colonial times, the Northeast was prosperous. But now, the Sunbelt is the place to be. .
The Northeast will always be the powerhouse of America. Many of the sunbelt cities are a bland culturless low wage paradises. I guess for individuals that only care about cheap housing and for retirees, then yes the sunbelt is the place.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
Quote:
Boston. Boston's downfall is not as obvious as some other places, but Boston is going downhill regardless. High school students in Massachusetts are 3 times as likely to leave the state compared to the national average. New England's cold weather and high cost of living are driving people out of the region. In colonial times, the Northeast was prosperous. But now, the Sunbelt is the place to be. The South and The West are the future.
Please. Things are not that simple and you know it. Cold weather is driving people out?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Ben Around: It's hard for me to live the good life when it's too cold for half the year.

DailyJournalist: We just have different tastes because I prefer the Sunbelt cities. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't think Sunbelt cities are bland or cultureless. And you're trying to get out of the Sunbelt, so you're clearly biased.

dem3456: I never said cold weather alone. I said cold weather and a high cost of living.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
city_data91: It seems you are suffering from "Grass-Is-Greener" syndrome. I'll bet you that if you had grown up in the sunbelt you'd be dying to get out and go to the north. Maybe in a few years you'll lean that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The Northeast will always be the powerhouse of America. Many of the sunbelt cities are a bland culturless low wage paradises. I guess for individuals that only care about cheap housing and for retirees, then yes the sunbelt is the place.
Easy now, the Sunbelt's doing something right to get residents and if they want to become great they'll make the adjustments and transition into a better city. I may be off but the Northeast was looked down upon by the Euros at one time but they're better now so why would the Sunbelt cities continue as they are?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Yeah, it's completely made up. Philadelphia is about the 29th largest economy in the world, not 8th. It has about $312-320 billion. Spain ranks in at 8th with about $1.4 trillion.
I dont get too wrapped up in lists as they are easily mainpulated but City Mayors has to be respected as its the preeminent international think tank on urban affairs, it has Philadlephia as the 9th largest economy in the world based on metropolitan/urbanized areas.

Richest cities and urban areas in 2005

City Mayors reviews the richest cities in the world in 2005

Rank City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn
1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460
5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299

Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^yes, and the N.E. is going to have a future also.

It may be shocking, but when 75% of the country's population immigrated through the N.E. coast, that population shifts would eventually move to the south and west over the next centuries.

I lived out west. It isn't peaches and cream out there either. I will admit that the natural beauty out there is amazing. But it is very, very difficult to see it when you only got 2 weeks of vacation, and it takes a whole day to get through a state.

I liked the city I lived in, but I get more out of the neighborhood I live in now.
I sure hope your theory is wrong because I would hate to see the scenery in the Sunbelt destroyed like the scenery in the Northeast. And the fact they pick the South and West over the Midwest says something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
city_data91: It seems you are suffering from "Grass-Is-Greener" syndrome. I'll bet you that if you had grown up in the sunbelt you'd be dying to get out and go to the north. Maybe in a few years you'll lean that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
I don't know. Some people like where they grew up. My brother is one of those people that likes where he grew up. He loves it in New England. Maybe I was just meant to grow up in the Sunbelt; that's what I always thought.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
I'd have to say the most nosedived major U.S. cities (in no particular order, except for #1) would be

Detroit (#1)
New Orleans
Buffalo
Cleveland
Baltimore

and that the top 5 most nosedived cities of the future will be (no order)

Phoenix
Atlanta
Las Vegas
San Diego
Sacramento

however if a major earthquake strikes a California city like LA or SF then all bets are off

in fact here are my predictions for states that will get worse or get better in the next decade...

Worse: CA, GA, NV, OR, CO

Better: NY, PA, MA, NE, OK

jury's still out on FL

Last edited by Jeromeville; 01-26-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I'd have to say the most nosedived major U.S. cities (in no particular order, except for #1) would be

Detroit (#1)
New Orleans
Buffalo
Cleveland
Baltimore

and that the top 5 most nosedived cities of the future will be (no order)

Phoenix
Atlanta
Las Vegas
San Diego
Sacramento

however if a major earthquake strikes a California city like LA or SF then all bets are off

in fact here are my predictions for states that will get worse or get better in the next decade...

Worse: CA, GA, NV, OR, CO

Better: NY, PA, MA, NE, OK

jury's still out on FL
I'm wondering what information you used to decide which cities will decline in the future? Or is that simply your wish list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.