Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Is this the town that Silent Hill the movie was based on? I didn't click your link but that had a town where a fire was burning underground.
Yes. At least according to the Wiki link that I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,630 times
[SIZE=3]Richmond, Virginia. Sometimes bad decisions (capital of the Confederacy) can cost you for generations. Made even worse by never acknowledging that you made a bad decision.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Charleston, S.C. is also on this list of cities that have nose-dived.[/SIZE]
Do not agree with Philadelphia being on this list. It is still considered one of this country’s greatest cities and has large national stature.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I was going to say Philly, too. It just doesn't get the press or the prestige of a NY or LA.

I bet once it was a fantastic place. The part I saw was not fantastic but I am sure there are some great places there. And, yes, the cheese steak IS worth ranting over.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 PM

100 posts, read 466,124 times
I would have to say..
Hartford, Ct
Waterbury, Ct
Bridgeport,Ct
New Bedford , Ma
Rochester, NY
Cleveland, Oh
Houston, Tx
Camden, NJ
Chester, Pa
Lynn, Ma

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch10 View Post
I would have to say..
Hartford, Ct
Waterbury, Ct
Bridgeport,Ct
New Bedford , Ma
Rochester, NY
Cleveland, Oh
Houston, Tx
Camden, NJ
Chester, Pa
Lynn, Ma
lol how could you include Houston with the likes of Camden?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
lol how could you include Houston with the likes of Camden?
I'll add Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New York, L.A., Las Vegas, and Phoenix to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Well, no doubt that Philly isn't as important as it was in colonial times. It is still a pretty important city though. The only thing that hurts it is being overshadowed by NYC. Maybe if we ever build a bullet train between Philly and NYC, Philly can truly benefit from being so close to the capital of the Western hemisphere,.

I would still rank it way behind Charleston though. New York, Philly, Boston, and Charleston were all in the same league and look what happened in the last 200 years. Philadelphia population 1800-41,000 Charleston population 1800- 20,000
Philadelphia population 2007-1.5 Million Charleston- 100,000
Philly metro area- 5.8 million Charleston- 600,000
The middle class in NYC is leaving in droves for Philadelphia and points south like Houston. New York is in steady decline right now. Philadelphia might finally have its chance.

Charleston is a complete failure. It declined rapidly after the Civil War. Philadelphia is still a well known city compared to Charleston. New York and Boston make up the top 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In 1790 Philaldephia was the financial,cultural, and political capital of the country. DC wasn't even on the map yet, it was nothing but farmland. The plan was to build the permanent capital in NW Philadelphia(Germantown) to replace the temporary US capital being housed in the Pa. state house(Independence Hall)
When and how did the capital of Pennsylvania move from Philadelphia to Harrisburg? I would say that L'Enfant's city plan is an elaboration of Center City. There are similarities to both cities: Benjamin Franklin Parkway looks like the diagonal avenues that connect to traffic circles in Washington, the Schuylkill Expressway is like the George Washington Pkwy and Kelly Drive is like the Clara Barton Parkway.

What could've been? What could've been? I wonder what Center City looked like if all the elements that make up Manhattan were in Center City instead? Imagine Center City as the center of the Western World instead of Manhattan.

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-26-2007 at 12:27 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch10 View Post
I would have to say..
Hartford, Ct
Waterbury, Ct
Bridgeport,Ct
New Bedford , Ma
Rochester, NY
Cleveland, Oh
Houston, Tx
Camden, NJ
Chester, Pa
Lynn, Ma
dutch10, I was with you till I got to Houston. Why Houston?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
dutch10, I was with you till I got to Houston. Why Houston?
Houston wasn't incorporated until 1836. So I think that point alone disqualifies Houston from this topic.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 112,464 times
Default New Amsterdam

Orignally founded on an island in the middle of a river, New Amersterdam was wiped cleanly off the map in 1665 with the incorporation of none other than New York City.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston wasn't incorporated until 1836. So I think that point alone disqualifies Houston from this topic.
Well, if we are only counting cities that were founded in colonial times, then I must remove most of the cities from my list, above. I was countingany American city since colonial times, whether founded then or not, that has declined from its pinnacle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.