Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Care to explain why you say this?
Having lived in the area for seven years I found Raleigh had much more of a visible conservative/right wing underbelly that wasn't as appealing to be around being a gay male myself (as is the OP). Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro is more progressive and welcoming from that standpoint in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Asheville pops to mind when someone says liberal but it falls down in these categories:

- A major state university within an hour (or in the university town itself)

- Big city within 2 hours (or in the big city itself) **** OK maybe Charlotte but is Charlotte a cultural draw? - I'd go 3 hours to Atlanta.****

- Housing I can afford on a $40,000 to $65,000 salary **** this could be hard in Asheville****

- Driving distance to a waterfront (ocean or lake) is a plus. **** there are some nice lakes in upstate SC, but not that close.****

I think the Nashville suggestion is good. Lots of universities, a big lake just east of town. Housing it getting pricey but it may be do-able. Some liberal leaning neighborhoods. It's getting to be a pretty big city, too.

Plus it is closest to your mom if she has a health crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.