Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I have lived in both. Chicago

Weather - Chicago. Give me harsh winters over Satan's 6 month sauna any day of the week. Pollen from 3 major regions of the US create some of the worst allergy issues.
Rent - the same, but the apmts and flats in Chicago have more character and are more enjoyable than the cookie cutter complexes of Dallas
Topography - Chicago
Affordability - slight edge Chicago. electric bills in Texas get really high. You have to drive everywhere and gas is expensive.
Walkability - Chicago. You won't need a car. The nightlife is better, there is more to do. In Dallas, you will have a difficult time navigating the city without a car.
IIT over UTD.
Ive lived in both too and I can tell you the bolded is pretty much dead wrong. I dont know where you were living in Chicago that was cheaper than Dallas. Plainfield perhaps???

As for the 6 moth sauna, gross exaggeration. Its hot for 3.5 months and really hot for maybe two months. The flip side is its freaking cold in Chicago from the end of November to the end of March. Not to mention the summers in Chicago arent that much better than they are here. Its just as humid up there and it still gets hot as hades. The only difference is that it doesnt last as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Dallas Pros -

Less crime
Lower COL
Better economy
4 seasons
Its in Texas

Dallas Cons-

Not as urban as Chicago
Landlocked
Hotter summers
Less diversity

Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas Pros -

Less crime
Lower COL
Better economy
4 seasons
Its in Texas

Dallas Cons-

Not as urban as Chicago
Landlocked
Hotter summers
Less diversity
Depends on how you define it.

Dallas is more racially diverse than Chicago. Chicago (because of the European communities primarily) is slightly more multicultural than Dallas.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Depends on how you define it.

Dallas is more racially diverse than Chicago. Chicago (because of the European communities primarily) is slightly more multicultural than Dallas.
Dallas' diversity is in its surrounding suburbs.

Chicago's diversity is all inner city.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
As for the 6 moth sauna, gross exaggeration. Its hot for 3.5 months and really hot for maybe two months. The flip side is its freaking cold in Chicago from the end of November to the end of March. Not to mention the summers in Chicago arent that much better than they are here. Its just as humid up there and it still gets hot as hades. The only difference is that it doesnt last as long.
3.5 months plus 2 months with your underestimation = 5.5 months which is basically 6. The first time I went to Dallas, it was 104 and humid like mad in early May. Let's just say that half the year is very hot, and some of us don't like hot weather. A summer in Chicago is clearly nowhere near as hot as one in Dallas, especially if you live near the lake. In Milwaukee (for example), it's often 10-15 degrees cooler at my house near Lake Michigan than it is in the suburb I work in 20 miles inland. A comparison of average summer highs:

May:
Dallas - 83 (5 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 70 (1 day 90 or hotter)

June:
Dallas - 92 (20 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 80 (4 days 90 or hotter)

July:
Dallas - 97 (28 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 84 (6 days 90 or hotter)

August:
Dallas - 96 (26 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 82 (4 days 90 or hotter)

September:
Dallas - 88 (14 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 75 (2 days 90 or hotter)

Let's face it - everyone's different, but in general, Chicago has more pleasant summers, and Dallas more pleasant winters. Call it a tie, unless you enjoy the sauna or freezebox.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
3.5 months plus 2 months with your underestimation = 5.5 months which is basically 6. The first time I went to Dallas, it was 104 and humid like mad in early May. Let's just say that half the year is very hot, and some of us don't like hot weather. A summer in Chicago is clearly nowhere near as hot as one in Dallas, especially if you live near the lake. In Milwaukee (for example), it's often 10-15 degrees cooler at my house near Lake Michigan than it is in the suburb I work in 20 miles inland. A comparison of average summer highs:

May:
Dallas - 83 (5 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 70 (1 day 90 or hotter)

June:
Dallas - 92 (20 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 80 (4 days 90 or hotter)

July:
Dallas - 97 (28 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 84 (6 days 90 or hotter)

August:
Dallas - 96 (26 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 82 (4 days 90 or hotter)

September:
Dallas - 88 (14 days 90 or hotter)
Chicago - 75 (2 days 90 or hotter)

Let's face it - everyone's different, but in general, Chicago has more pleasant summers, and Dallas more pleasant winters. Call it a tie, unless you enjoy the sauna or freezebox.
I lived in DFW for 18 years. It being 104 in May is a rarity, and honestly, I never remember that happening. Plus we all have different perceptions of what "hot" and "cold" are. IMO it's not ridiculously hot for 6 months out of the year; people are just exaggerating. July and August are pretty insanely hot. May, June, and September are hot, with the beginning of May and end of September being pretty mild. That makes a total of 4 months.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I lived in DFW for 18 years. It being 104 in May is a rarity, and honestly, I never remember that happening. Plus we all have different perceptions of what "hot" and "cold" are. IMO it's not ridiculously hot for 6 months out of the year; people are just exaggerating. July and August are pretty insanely hot. May, June, and September are hot, with the beginning of May and end of September being pretty mild. That makes a total of 4 months.
It will be interesting to see how climate change affects peoples' perspectives on weather in the next few decades.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/sc...anted=all&_r=0

Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
It will be interesting to see how climate change affects peoples' perspectives on weather in the next few decades.
It's not going to happen in the next few decades. It will take several centuries before there is truly a noticeable difference between the past and the present.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
It's not going to happen in the next few decades. It will take several centuries before there is truly a noticeable difference between the past and the present.
I wish it was occurring that slowly.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Ive lived in both too and I can tell you the bolded is pretty much dead wrong. I dont know where you were living in Chicago that was cheaper than Dallas. Plainfield perhaps???

I lived on the north side of Chicago, Irving Park to start. I viewed many apartments that are bigger than my current one in Dallas in surrounding areas of the northside. They were $600-$700 a month and they were nicer and in better neighborhoods than the $600-$700 ones I lived in Dallas.

Hardly a gross exaggeration. I've lived here in Dallas for 15 years. It gets hot in May and it's hot into October. I think someone already posted the monthly averages. Sorry, but 90 degrees is hot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas Pros -

Less crime
Lower COL
Better economy
4 seasons
Its in Texas

Dallas Cons-

Not as urban as Chicago
Landlocked
Hotter summers
Less diversity
Dallas does not have 4 seasons. "It's in Texas" would be a con too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.