Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
People really need to stop using the Mason Dixon Line as any type of cultural divide. If you ever lived within a 100 miles of the Mason Dixon Line you know how inaccurate it is to describe it as any type of strong cultural boundary between the North and South.
Well, there is a blur between regions. There are border states or border regions of states. It's not as if you're supposed to notice major differences once you cross over the border from a Northern to a Southern state (PA into WV for example) because those areas that are close together in each region/state will have similarities. But as a whole the Mason Dixon Line is a dividing line, culturally and literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,803 times
I would say Lundergan is Swedish/German but Grimes definitely British. I think she looks Dutch but that is my opinion. ( Maybe a stall holder from Romford, Essex)

Old 09-26-2015, 04:06 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
You forget to understand many people left overcrowded cities in the north and moved to the south.I don't think most people would like to live in New York even people in New York moved to the suburbs .

You may be young and like urban living but when you get older you will want a house .

NYC has seen its population grow by 1.5 million over the past 30 years. The NATIVE white population is also increasing. This even as it has become a very expensive place to live.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:10 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
.. Northern city people listen to Jazz music, ..

Which ironically is Southern in origin.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:01 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar Johansen View Post
Yes, yes I know everyone is American, united in diversity and all that. But really, would you say that white sothern Americans and white northern Americans are two different nations? The south and the north early became separated in to two different economical systems (or niches). The south and the north has a history of being politically separated, and even waging war on one another. There are even today differences in identity, language and values and so on. From an anthropological point of view that would probably be enough to categorize southerners and northerners as being different peoples/nations/groups (whatever).

What's your opinion?
Without question. A true Southron would not dream of waving the flag of a government that is occupying by force. Even regarding religion, Baptist and Episcopal are dissimilar in their governing of the church. The Southern Baptist church is run by a congregation while the Yankee Episcopal church is run by a foreigner and various bishops, which is reflected politically by the voting trends of Yankees and Southrons today. Yankees tend to be left wing and have not a single problem with a select few operating on everyone's behalf whether the majority approves of it or not. This is something quite foreign to the Southron mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUfC3SWkoXE

Why Southern nationalism? | Online Home of The League of the South
"So, why did we go with Southern Nationalism instead of American Nationalism? Those who wanted to reform the current system were really just conservatives with a Southern drawl. Most of us knew even then that this American System was too far gone to reform and that even if reformed that it did not represent the interests of the South and her people.

But there is another more fundamental reason. There is a Southern Nation. But there is no American Nation. That entity is a Proposition, a mere abstraction with no real cultural content.

You see, most people don’t know the proper definition of the word “nation.” It means “a people” (check out the Bible if you don’t believe me). It does not mean, as most use it today, a political system within certain borders. That is a “state,” not a “nation.” A nation may have a state but the two are not interchangeable. France and Germany are historic “nation-states;” the USA is not. In the case of Southerners, we are a stateless nation for all practical intents and purposes. We can trace our boundaries and we can claim State Sovereignty but that does not negate the overarching fact that we are occupied by the American Imperial Regime. But we are fully a nation still—a distinct people with common racial and/or ethnic characteristics (Anglo-Celtic, for instance), a unique history and culture, as well as a common language and a majority religion. And who are the Southern people—this Dixie nation—you may ask? We are the descendants of European, Christian peoples who settled the Southern region of North America in the 17th and 18th centuries."

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-10-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 06:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Without question. A true Southron would not dream of waving the flag of a government that is occupying by force. Even regarding religion, Baptist and Episcopal are dissimilar in their governing of the church. The Southern Baptist church is run by a congregation while the Yankee Episcopal church is run by a foreigner and various bishops, which is reflected politically by the voting trends of Yankees and Southrons today. Yankees tend to be left wing and have not a single problem with a select few operating on everyone's behalf whether the majority approves of it or not. This is something quite foreign to the Southron mind.
That's pretty silly reasoning as there are several religious bodies in the South that have an episcopal form of government, and the first Baptist church in the U.S. was in the North. I think you have to come stronger than that.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's pretty silly reasoning as there are several religious bodies in the South that have an episcopal form of government, and the first Baptist church in the U.S. was in the North. I think you have to come stronger than that.
Baptist is the primary denomination of almost every, if not every, Southern state while they were barely accepted in New England, especially Massachusetts. The American Baptists are much more left winged and supportive of the federal government than Southern Baptists and Southerners in general.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-10-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 07:37 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
USA is a massive country with a population 4x the times of Germany, 6x of England, 14x of Australia, and 33x of Sweden. So the idea that there different parts of the country have different cultures are not completely crazy.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
[/i]
Oh please. Many of the most patriotic Americans and much of our military is from the south! And look around at some of the large southern cities and some of the northern rural areas. There really isn't a yankee/left vs southern/right divide. There is an urban/left and a rural/right divide. Actually, this left/right divide is one of the things that has kept this country great over the years. One side keeps the other in check! What a genius idea!

Going back to the beginning of this older thread. No, we are not different. We actually do get along great with each other. But on a forum such as this there will always be one or two who vocally put down the other. Just look back at 9/11 and whenever there is a crisis. We all stand together. An older song by Charley Daniels (God bless America Again) states it perfectly, and that was from the 70's.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
the only true difference I can see today is how not necessarily Northerners but specifically NE Northerners or Yankees or whatever the hell it's called, seem to have a great hatred or dislike for the South, even today for some reason?

of course Im basing this just from what I've read on this website so my view is extremely limited.

I'm scared to go up there after seeing this website and the headaches on it. Im afraid I'll get shot as soon as someone hears my southern accent or something . lmfao

they hate us, for real.

I dare to say, the Civil War or stupid modern politics matter more to them than it ever has to us.LMAO

at lease in my generation.

Im scared to go up north after seeing these threads.
I used to be afraid of going to the South. Then one year I volunteered to drive a colleague's car back east as the family was moving and she and her husband were transporting their handicapped son in their van. I had no qualms about Louisiana, because all I had in my mind was New Orleans and I was excited about visiting the city. As I made the journey I went from my home in New Mexico through Texas (not friendly in terms of highway patrol, but that's another long story) and then Louisiana (where I found myself suddenly in the French Quarter and I didn't consciously try to get there) and by chance, visiting a gallery, met a most amazing photographer who invited me up to his studio (all on the up and up) for some Dixie Beer and a look at all the famous people he had photographed. This house had been used in numerous films and I sat on his beautiful bougianvillea draped balcony sipping the cold, welcome brew as he shared photos of his daughter's New Orleans traditional wedding photos. The photographer was the acclaimed Johnny Donnels. (Look him up.) He had even photographed New Mexico (White Sands).

From there, on to Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and up through Georgia and the Carolinas to Virginia and finally to Maryland. I am originally from Maryland so Virginia was familiar to me and I didn't consider it a worry.

I was really concerned about going through the deep south and as I went further and the swampland and Cypress Trees and Spanish moss in the dark of night became more prominent I felt an enormous claustrophobic fear. I made one stop in Buloxi at a huge gas station/rest stop to call my friend's parents, then continued on. Filled the tank. No problems. Onward and upward and my first trip south was a success.

The following year, I made the trip again to help a friend move to Florida. I stopped in NOLA to visit my friend, the photographer, Johnny Donells and he invited me up again with my colleague and others in the complex of houses in the French Quarter and I had another fantastic time with Dixie beer and new friends. Much later in the trip, one of the nicest places I have ever visited was Foley, Alabama. Went to an outlet mall just at the exit of town and while we were there, a huge thunderstorm wiped out the electricity. The sales staff were very calm and collected and everyone was worried about making their purchases. Well, everyone's credit cards were accepted with no verification (no matter the amount). Everyone was happy and our minds taken off the storm which was sudden and very scary. Then, upon leaving the mall, the car broke down. We hadn't even exited the parking lot. The local sheriff towed us from there to a mechanic in Foley who only charged us $15 to repair the damage (can't remember what it was, but i knew any other place would have charged us hundreds) and we hardly had to wait.

Everyone I met was the opposite of what I feared. I have since traveled more of the US as well as to different parts of the world, but have never experienced the kindness I encountered in the south.

What I am saying is that you shouldn't miss the wonderful aspects of new places based on other's (often biased) opinions, warnings...prejudices.

Many posters on C-D are, unfortunately negatively biased in regard to many things. You will never know for yourself until you try something. As for your accent? EVERYONE has one. I am considered a 'northerner' or I was, but for many years now, in fact, most of my life I am a New Mexican, I am a desert lizard. I probably have a very strange accent now... BTW, there is nothing like a Dallas drawl, in my opinion. So soothing. C'mon, have you ever heard a Bostonian? And a New Yorker from any given borough will most certainly give your ears a treat if accents are being compared! The thing is, we are all Americans and all those differences only make us more amazing.

You sound like you'd like to visit 'up north', but are being held back by other's opinions. So, you would miss seeing Philadelphia, Washington, DC, The Statue of Liberty, Plymouth Rock, any number of sacred American places?? Northerners do not hate southerners. They're different, but the same.

Oh, my. I'm about to cry because my last sentences made me think of "One" by U2. I hope you travel to the north one day and that you have a great experience.

Last edited by tangelag; 10-10-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.