Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 05:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Familiar items are bound to be seen in an empire riddled with chains but to say that Southern cuisine and Yankee cuisine are the same confirms your ignorance.
There are slight differences but not much. I can get a pot roast (I think you may call that yankee) anywhere, including the south. Fried chicken (consider that southern) is ubiqutous everywhere in this country. I can get true, slow cooked, smoked eastern Carolina BBQ at several locations around where I'm at. Likewise, if I want grits (southern) for breakfast, all I need to do is go to the local breakfast spot. I can get oatmeal as well. (yankee) Sweet tea (supposedly southern)is practically everywhere and always has been for me (grew up outside DC in MD) Slow cooked BBQ places are all over the country. Chowders are popular in the south. Come on, the US is not much different. You make it sound like once you leave your precious dixie, you get a totally different menu!

Quote:
You can pick out the items with your eyes closed that will be on the menu in Dixie. Although I celebrate a proper Thanksgiving on December 4.
Everything I mentioned I have had at Thanksgiving time hosted by people from the deep south set in their southern ways to people from NY/NJ. Not much different. The greens may be a tad different and so may the corn and each place may have another type of pie but the spread is the same!

Quote:
This is because the US is teeming with chain stores and bulk manufacturing. You will find similar items in England and New Zealand usually manufactured by a company in Europe or Oceania.
And that makes the north and south different? How?

Quote:
Rarely do I have hot dogs on the grill for a cook out but you will find these basic items being used in Australia and Canada. The real difference lies in the cooking methods of items more advanced than hot dogs.
My point was that you will find those items at practically every standard cookout in the US. You want to get up and start cooking a pig early in the morning, been there, done that at a get together hosted by some NJ friends! That's not just something done in the south. True BBQ's aren't only done in the south either. They are done all over. The items I mention is a safe bet for getting up at a normal time, doing what needs to be done and then firing up the grill (gas or charcoal) and throwing some assorted meats on it to be eaten not long aftarwards. I have been to those kinds of cookouts in the deep south as well as in the north.

Quote:
All chains.
Again, how does that differentiate us? There are also non chain, mom and pop stores that are similar in each region.

Quote:
Country is a Southern genre period.
Look up all the singers from other parts of the country. You may be surprised at those singers (both from the classic and modern era) that are from parts of this country far from the south. Even a few from other country's. I guess the south swallowed up the genre "western including all those singers from west of Texas!

Quote:
Hm, I've lived in the rural north (Maine) and they are much more leftist than Southrons. Rural Yankees who are not outright leftists pride themselves on being "libertarian" fence sitters.
This whole country (and that includes Dixie) is not purely political. You'll find lefties, righties, libertarians and independents in every state of our union. Some are vocal, many aren"t. Guess what? There are plenty of liberal's in even the most rural parts of the south as there are plenty of conservatives in every northern city.

Funny, everywhere I've gone, including out of the country, I get along fine with the other Americans. It doesn't matter where we're from. We can get into a conversation about food, or music, or many other things and we know what eachother is talking about. not because we have been brainwashed but because we are from the same country sharing the same lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
They have more similarities than differences.

Don't mistake regionalism for multiculturalism.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
There are many country singers, from the early years through the modern era that aren't from the south. many of the classic ones are from out west. I don't call CA, Wy, AZ, NM etc southern. Likewise there are many from the north central, mid Atlantic and northeast as well. Again, it may have technically had it's birth in the south but it sure spread all over and practically replaced rock.
I really don't care where some country singers came from. Country is a southern genre and the vast majority of Hall of Fame country musicians are from the South. Additionally, much of the west was explored and settled by Southrons. Both Lewis and Clark were Southrons. Doc Holliday, Tom Ketchum, Hoodoo Brown, Cherokee Bill, Deacon Jim, Bonnie and Clyde, Jesse James are all Southrons. The old west's cowboys were much more of Southern stock than New England stock.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I really don't care where some country singers came from. Country is a southern genre and the vast majority of Hall of Fame country musicians are from the South. Additionally, much of the west was explored and settled by Southrons. Both Lewis and Clark were Southrons. Doc Holliday, Tom Ketchum, Hoodoo Brown, Cherokee Bill, Deacon Jim, Bonnie and Clyde, Jesse James are all Southrons. The old west's cowboys were much more of Southern stock than New England stock.
With that kind of thinking, you might as well state that we all are either English, Irish, Scottish, German or from wherever else our ancestors are from and not the Americans we are.

And as far as country being a southern genre? well, that is just one of many things that proves my point in that we are not that different no matter what part of the country we're from. We all take culture, traits, etc from the rest of the country and blend it together and make it a part of the US culture.

BTW, the steel guitar was a big part of the country sound, though it isn't as popular as before. It trully gives much of "true" country music it's sound. From what I gather, Hawaii is far from the south now isn't it? See, once again we blend together and become part of the same country. Sharing the same music.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
There are slight differences but not much. I can get a pot roast (I think you may call that yankee) anywhere, including the south. Fried chicken (consider that southern) is ubiqutous everywhere in this country. I can get true, slow cooked, smoked eastern Carolina BBQ at several locations around where I'm at. Likewise, if I want grits (southern) for breakfast, all I need to do is go to the local breakfast spot. I can get oatmeal as well. (yankee) Sweet tea (supposedly southern)is practically everywhere and always has been for me (grew up outside DC in MD) Slow cooked BBQ places are all over the country. Chowders are popular in the south. Come on, the US is not much different. You make it sound like once you leave your precious dixie, you get a totally different menu!
You keep going on about how you can get fried chicken or a pot roast anywhere in the country as if it means something to me. I don't care where you can get it. I can also get Chinese food in America.

Quote:
Everything I mentioned I have had at Thanksgiving time hosted by people from the deep south set in their southern ways to people from NY/NJ. Not much different. The greens may be a tad different and so may the corn and each place may have another type of pie but the spread is the same!
Once you have Southern fried turkey, you will never want to have a Yankee turkey again. I have had Yankee Thanksgivings and Southron Thanksgivings multiple times. Half my family is Southern, half are Yankees. Just to name a few of the main courses. My Yankee Thanksgivings consist of baked turkey, regular mashed potatoes, carrots. My Southern Thanksgiving, to name just a few, is deep fried turkey, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, and cornbread dressing and is celebrated on December 4. Is that what you call "eating the same thing?"

Quote:
And that makes the north and south different? How?
What I said seems to have flown over your head. You keep going on about how you can find this and that everywhere in the country so it must be the same but you fail to realize that I don't care what you can find here or there. My point was that of course you will find the "same stores" in malls in the South as in the North. These stores are chain businesses. They are not unique and many of them have stores overseas as well.

Quote:
My point was that you will find those items at practically every standard cookout in the US. You want to get up and start cooking a pig early in the morning, been there, done that at a get together hosted by some NJ friends! That's not just something done in the south. True BBQ's aren't only done in the south either. They are done all over. The items I mention is a safe bet for getting up at a normal time, doing what needs to be done and then firing up the grill (gas or charcoal) and throwing some assorted meats on it to be eaten not long aftarwards. I have been to those kinds of cookouts in the deep south as well as in the north.
I have never even suggested that swine is wholly Southern. They roast pigs in Germany and even Puerto Rico.

Quote:
Again, how does that differentiate us? There are also non chain, mom and pop stores that are similar in each region.
Specifics would primarily be due to the reach and influence of the American Empire that I've talked about. Free movement, federal governing, and as a result of being forced to remain a part of the United States, it's no surprise that foreign commodities would find their way into Dixie.

Quote:
Look up all the singers from other parts of the country. You may be surprised at those singers (both from the classic and modern era) that are from parts of this country far from the south. Even a few from other country's. I guess the south swallowed up the genre "western including all those singers from west of Texas!
Again, I don't care where a musician who sings country is from. Country is a genre of Southern stock.

Quote:
This whole country (and that includes Dixie) is not purely political. You'll find lefties, righties, libertarians and independents in every state of our union. Some are vocal, many aren"t. Guess what? There are plenty of liberal's in even the most rural parts of the south as there are plenty of conservatives in every northern city.
The most leftist areas of the South are by far the most Yankee infested areas.

Quote:
Funny, everywhere I've gone, including out of the country, I get along fine with the other Americans. It doesn't matter where we're from. We can get into a conversation about food, or music, or many other things and we know what eachother is talking about. not because we have been brainwashed but because we are from the same country sharing the same lifestyle.
I don't know how many times I have to say it. But any Southron who "loves America" and calls himself a right winger needs to sit down and take some deep breaths for a few minutes.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
With that kind of thinking, you might as well state that we all are either English, Irish, Scottish, German or from wherever else our ancestors are from and not the Americans we are.
Or we could simply wonder why the genius claiming this can't tell the difference between a Southern accent and a British accent.

Quote:
And as far as country being a southern genre? well, that is just one of many things that proves my point in that we are not that different no matter what part of the country we're from. We all take culture, traits, etc from the rest of the country and blend it together and make it a part of the US culture.
Country is Southern. Period.

Quote:
BTW, the steel guitar was a big part of the country sound, though it isn't as popular as before. It trully gives much of "true" country music it's sound. From what I gather, Hawaii is far from the south now isn't it? See, once again we blend together and become part of the same country. Sharing the same music.
We are speaking about a genre of music, not a single instrument. Instruments are another story and are widely used all over the world regardless of where one originated. Like drums. The true test of originality is in the combination of sounds that form a genre. Claiming country is not Southern based on a single instrument (and one isn't even necessary for the genre) is more like grasping at straws. I fail to see how that instrument "blends us together as a country" when drums were not invented in the US and yet drums are used in American music. Does that make Americans and Egyptians, Chinese, Africans or whoever "part of the same country" because of a single instrument? No. An instrument is just a noise maker. The genre is where the real originality is.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 PM

So let me get this straight!

Northerners are different from southerners!

We don't eat the same foods!

We absolutely can't listen to the same music!

We are totally different politically!

We can't understand each other!

Southerners are being forced to be part of the USA!

Southerners are brainwashed into being patriotic to the USA!

You didn't mention it but I'm sure every southerner proudly fly's the Battle flag of Tenessee or Army of NORTHERN VA above the American flag which southerners are brainwashed into flying.

Every southerner deep fry's their Thankgiving turkey and it is served with the fixin's of traditional dixie that one got out of the handbook "Steriotypes and cuisine of true southerners and how to cook like only those in the true south can".

Southerners celebrate their thangsgiving on Dec 4th.

A rural yankee has absolutely no similarities then a rural southerner.

An urban reb is nothing like an urban yankee!

I have learned that there is no way I can be listening to country music unless I'm in the south.

I have learned that if someone passed through the south, all future offspring are southerners, no matter where they were born.

Yes, I know this is BS but apparently a couple here who write the same way think it's true! Seems like someone needs to get out more!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
The South and the North is like one Nation of people who are ethnically Americans. Kind of like North Korea and South Korea different politically and day to day life but are still one Nation in just 2 different States (Look up the Geographic terms of State and Nation). Their is also substantial blur between the states and between whether it is a rural or urban northerner and vice versa for the south. Both areas have way more in common than the South has to anywhere else besides maybe Western U.S is more closely related to The South than the North.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Americans from different regions often don't realize how culturally similar they are until they experience living abroad. A common tongue and common cultural reference points will make for some strange friendships.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Americans from different regions often don't realize how culturally similar they are until they experience living abroad. A common tongue and common cultural reference points will make for some strange friendships.
Exactly, since I have spent slightly more than half my life outside the U.S and wasn't even born here some southerners don't realize how American they are until they step outside of the U.S, certain areas of Canada is about the only place that can claim to be more similar to the North then the North is to the South. American Conservatives don't realize how liberal they are till they go to a really conservative country and it is the exact same for liberals in the U.S, they don't realize how conservative they are till they go to a real liberal country, were the conservatives are more liberal than our liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.